• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

percyn – that Bo ssam is just beautiful!

Bruce – tell the boys to move over. I’ll make them anything they want if I can have all of their scampi! Those shrimp are just beautiful, by the way. Where do you get them?

For dinner tonight, I used the small piece of brisket that Mr. Kim smoked for the Super Bowl party to make burnt ends.

Brisket:

med_gallery_3331_114_213396.jpg

In the pan with Mr. Kim’s sauce and some juices from the bag the brisket was stored in:

med_gallery_3331_114_379793.jpg

Sandwich:

med_gallery_3331_114_205122.jpg

Fantastic!

I also did a ‘sorta Greek’ salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_106694.jpg

I had some feta dip left over from the party and tossed it will some lettuce, cukes and tomatoes. It made a better salad dressing than a dip :hmmm: !

gfweb, I checked out Pepin's recipe for the shrimp pane you cooked upthread, and it sure sounds good.

(for others, the recipe is here: http://blogs.kqed.org/essentialpepin/2011/09/17/shrimp-pane-on-watercress/)

deensiebat, the Sephardic fish looks great. Olives, saffron, and lemon...mmm.

Kim, welcome back! I love the brisket sandwiches.

VietnamPorkChops_008.jpg

Vietnamese pork chops for dinner here, with a sides of lemongrass-coconut rice and sauteed bok choy with garlic and chiles. Alums from EGullet's Cradle of Flavor thread will recognize the sides. They're from Cradle of Flavor. The pork chops recipe came from Saveur mag. All the recipes are available online.

Vietnamese Pork Chops--No Vietnamese caramel sauce handy and I didn't feel like making it, so I subbed 1 TB sugar in the marinade. Not a like-for-like substitution, since Viet caramel sauce is bittersweet, not just sweet. I also prefer meatier chops, so mine were about 1/2" thick (not 1/4" as in the recipe). The chops tasted good, and I would make them again. The recipe is here:

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/vietnamese-pork-chops

Lemongrass Coconut Rice: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemongrass-Scented-Coconut-Rice-237067

Stirfried Asian Greens with Chiles & Garlic: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Stir-Fried-Asian-Greens-with-Chiles-and-Garlic-237115

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Percyn, that Momofuku's Bo ssam is high on my list of must-dos and yours looks perfect.

Pork chops for me also last night. I had almost given up on supermarket chops but cooked SV and quickly seared produced a lovely, juicy, porky pork chop. Sorry that the photo did not capture the slight pinkness and juicyness of the final dish. Served with green beans and sauteed mushrooms.

Pork with beans and mushrooms.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sometimes, the things you make are right before your eyes!!

I made Potato gnocchi a few weeks ago ( they freeze well ).. I think it was MIchael Chirello recipe. These I fried, usually i boil them!!

Vodka sauce and Braised Majinola Beef cheeks to finish.

6847245441_7d44753d76.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Wow how beautiful.

My dinner will look very pedestrian after dcarch's artistic presentation and thanks to my cheapo blackberry lens, but here we go. Yesterday I bought a Delmonico steak at my favorite butcher shop after realizing that it looked awfully similar to the "côte de bœuf" I love so much in France.

Here it is before, seasoned with grapeseed oil, rosemary & thyme from the garden, salt, and plenty of black pepper.

6849003145_7234b1e809.jpg

After a few minutes on the grill (I like it very rare)

6847422713_153e3c55be.jpg

We had grilled eggplants and a salad on the side.

My favorite part is gnawing on the bone at the end (no picture here!).

Lovely work, everyone! percyn, I have no idea what bo ssam may be but I want it.

Here's tonight's offering: chicharron en salsa verde, and mac and cheese from Heston's last show (made with cheap Wisconsin gruyere, because it's my first time trying the recipe). An unusual combination that worked surprisingly well.

Feb092012010_cr.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Kim – Thank you very much, the shrimp were “Louisiana Gold gulf shrimp”, on sale at the grocery store. By the way, that brisket sandwich does sound fantastic!

djyee100 – Lovely meal, I need to try those pork chops.

dakki – mac and cheese and chicharron with salsa verde. Sounds like one of our culture-clash meals.

Sichuan chicken with chiles – chicken thigh chunks, marinated with Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, and black soy sauce; deep-fried; and then stir-fried with garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, scallions, and a pinch of sugar; and then finished with sesame oil. A little spicy for younger son, but elder son and I fought for the last morsels.

Jasmine rice and our usual lettuce-tomato-cucumber-scallion salad to go with.

p527098446-4.jpg

C. Sapidus, that Szechuan chicken does sound good!

SobaAddict, delicious looking pasta. An unusual combo with parsnips, too.

Dcarch, is that Neptune's dinner? I really like your last creation.

SpinachFrittata_013.jpg

Last night's dinner, a frittata of odds & ends to clean out the fridge. I sauteed soon-to-expire spinach and mushrooms with some garlic, and combined them with eggs and a bunch of leftover ingredients hanging out in the fridge--a few roasted spring onions, some shredded mozzarella, some grated parmigiano reggiano. At the end of cooking time I sprinkled the last of the mozzarella on top and set the frittata to brown under the broiler. Served it with some good bread. The leftovers (yes, my former leftovers generated new leftovers) are going into sandwiches for lunch.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I should really try truffles some day . . .

djyee100 - thanks! I like the idea of infinitely-recycled leftovers.

Boys had a swim team pasta dinner and Mrs. C is out of town, so I made dinner for myself.

Fettucine Alfredo – Marcella Hazan’s version

Slow-cooked broccoli with garlic and anchovies – from Vegetables Everyday. Younger son surprised, nay shocked, me by helping himself to a bowlful.

p257011323-4.jpg

Washed down with Flying Dog “Kujo” Imperial Coffee Stout

p446089843-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

The 'smoked eel, bacon and mashed potatoes' recipe from Fergus Henderson's first book. The only point at which I deviated from the recipe was the mash--I moved halfway towards colcannon by making a butter-heavy mash laced with parsley and spring onions.

Served w/ a bottle of '05 Bordeaux.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Tonight we had tiny red mullets, they were the size of my thumb. I fried half in a mix of corn meal and breadcrumbs with thyme and half with flour, served on a bed of rocket. Red mullets really go well with corn meal coating.

red mullets.JPG

As side also the loved puntarelle with anchovy sauce

puntarelle 2.JPG

ando to keep my son happy, some scallion pancakes. I always find them highly addictive

scallions pancakes.JPG

Franci, I LOVE mullet. On the Gulf Coast (aka the Redneck Riviera), all the little beach restaurants make the most magnificent po'boys with them. And always in a cornmeal breading.

ScottyBoy and Xilimmns excellent-looking versions of carbonara. I'm jonesing for that; acquired some quinoa penne (celiac disease is SUCH a pain!), and I'm going to try it this week. Have not yet found gluten-free linguine, other than rice-based, and I really don't care for rice-based pasta in traditional pasta applications.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com