• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

I love pizza with a farm egg and some cured meat (guanciale comes to mind). I think of it as breakfast pizza.

Did cassoulet just make an appearance on this thread? WONDERFUL. I need to make one soon. Sourcing the ingredients can be challenging and it does take a few days to prepare, but what an extraordinary dish.

A few days ago we had lobster ravioli with a saffron white wine cream sauce.

6892160485_52a2710a19_z.jpg

Tagliatelle is a favourite in this house. Soba, I like the fact the you use the grated cheese rather than shredded cheese so typical for Americans. I just think the texture of the cheese changes otherwise. My parents also adopted, out of laziness, a zester and I don't like it.

Tonight I made a baciocca, traditional ligurian potatoes and onion gratin with polenta and wheat flour. Salad and some prosciutto.

My husband would not touch it (he doesn't eat anything that looks like a cake to him), so again fried red mullets for him and a quick pastina in fish stock for the children

baciocca.jpg

Lovely work, everyone. dcarch, remind me never to show your photos to my friends again. It creates unrealistic expectations.

Heston's mac and cheese, v2. Served with fried chicken and a green salad. This time I decided to go with individual servings.

Feb172012001v2.jpg

Really liking this recipe. I think next time I'll adapt it into a casserole, maybe with chicken, green olives and poblanos?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Nothing tremendously exciting, but some decent meals in the past week.

[...]

Coq au vin.

Coq au vin! I think that is very exciting, actually.

I need more details, please. What is your recipe of choice? And did you use an old rooster, or did you have to settle for plain old chicken? :smile:

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

kayb, I find those dishes very exciting. Especially the Sweet potato and pulled pork hash.

Scottyboy, You are very lucky to have a roommate/cookmate who can cook so well. Amazing and sinful looking chocolate desert.

robirdstx, Nice corned beef. Which I will have to remember that can be enjoyed even it is not on St. Patrick’s Day. Pollo alla Calabrese for Valentine. I will copy you recipe for next year.

Dakki, Thnaks. That the most luscious Mac & Cheese I have ever seen.

FrogPrincesse, lobster ravioli with a saffron white wine cream sauce, Wow!

Dave Hatfield, Very nice blog. Thanks.

SobaAddict70, Thanks. That Tagliatelle, with Marcella Hazan's Bolognese sauce looks restaurant-ready.

Shelby, That is one unbelievable pizza!

Anna N, shrimp, hearts of palm and radishes - light and refreshing. There would be no leftovers if it were put in front of me.

patrickamory, Thanks. The beef pad prik king look so good, I will have to make it soon.

Franci, Thanks. Stunning fennel, tarragon salad.

--------------------------

Still more Valentine’s Prties to go to.

dcarch

Sous vide Rack of Lamb with wild rice stuffed fennel

lambvalentine-1.jpg

lambvalentine2-1.jpg

A friend gave me some Berkshire Pork shoulder, also sous vided.

berkshireporkValentine.jpg

berkshireporkValentine2.jpg

berkshireporkValentine3.jpg

Very tired tonight after a long week, so we had a low key/no fuss dinner.

Baked citrus-crusted rock cod (recipe from Sam Choy's Polynesian Kitchen), white rice, and marron baby carrots from my CSA baked with coriander and white vermouth.

6895096143_8462e6ffac_z.jpg

Adam Perry Lang's 'garlic powder and instant coffee-crusted chuck roast'.

beefcoffee2.jpg

After smoking. All that oil and parsley? That's to do with his technique of 'seasoning' the chopping board. I have to try this with, say, some thyme leaves and such next time I grill a steak.

beefcoffee.jpg

Some cos lettuce and tomatoes. Sauteed kipflers, too.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Dcarch I am speechless. Chris, I watched Jamie Oliver employ that same technique of "seasoning" the prep board and keep meaning to try it.

wings.jpg

Tamarind wings

vegetable side dish.jpg

with a side of roasted vegetables.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN Id like to hear more about how you made that tamarind chicken

I always forget how much I enjoy tamarind.

Here you go:

click

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci, the recipe is Ina Garten's, here. And I didn't have an old rooster -- I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs from the supermarket. A reasonable substitute.

dcarch, I continue to be astounded at your creativity.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

dcarch amazing looking Valentine's dinner there. I showed my wife your lamb cutlets arranged to look like a heart. Who would have thought to do that! It never occurred to me!

mm84321 stunning looking dinner as usual. Is that a Pommes Anna? Do you have a Pommes Anna maker? It looks perfect!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

mm84321 stunning looking dinner as usual. Is that a Pommes Anna? Do you have a Pommes Anna maker? It looks perfect!

Thanks, Keith. That is a pommes maxim; similar to a pommes anna, but only one layer. I just sliced the potato, brushed with clarified butter, and baked on a silpat in a 300ºF oven.

Joined this cook-off today and made mafe:

African Stew with naan bread.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog