• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Anna – ‘heroin wings’ :laugh: – I want some for dinner! And would you give a little primer in Parmesan onions? Pretty please? Those look wonderful. I must be on your wavelength, because that shrimp salad with the hearts of palm looked fantastic to me, too!

Shelby – how does sesame honey chicken work? It looks great.

Kay – I’d call those meals MUCH more than decent! I’m swooning over the shrimp and grits, especially.

Dcarch – what kind of sauce was under your lamb chops? It looks almost creamy.

David – your cod wrapped in bacon is beautiful – so clean and fresh looking!

Mrs. S – your entire anniversary meal looks and sounds delicious, but I believe that I would have shamed myself with the gougeres and parm crisps! I can almost taste them.

amkr – Welcome! Your pork belly bun is a thing of beauty! I want to find somewhere hear that makes those!

robirdstx – your soup looks so good. We are making a sausage and escarole soup with cannellini beans on Friday for our CSA soup swap on Saturday, but the next time that I make it, I think I’ll switch out the beans for lentils!

Stash – that blood orange and endive salad looks like early Spring! So pretty and fresh sounding.

Finally starting to feel human again after being sick since Sunday. Dinner last night came out of the freezer (I did cook them originally, though):

med_gallery_3331_114_185337.jpg

Sausage rolls and mini quiche Lorraine. Plus a salad

kim that is sooo beautiful! beyond words. we had a stew for dinner,the traditional beef, onion carrot potato stew, but nothing as pretty as you had.

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

---------------------------------------

Wow, lots of meals that make me regret my lack of an auxiliary stomach.

I always get a hankering for Mexican food in winter, when ripe tomatoes are a summer memory. Just the boys and I this week, so we will probably have a simple salad with most meals.

Filetes de pescado a la Campechana (Campeche baked fish fillets) – sea bass baked with lime juice, cilantro, and sauce of fried white onion simmered with tomato and habanero chiles.

Frijoles charros (quick cowboy beans) – with bacon, tomato, garlic, pinto beans, pickled jalapenos, and cilantro.

Edit: splelngi

p361015566-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

patrickamory, Anna N, and dcarch - thank you for your kind words last week about my Pollo alla Calabrese.

dcarch - Corned Beef and Cabbage is not just for St. Patrick's Day and I need to remember that more often.

SobaAddict, I too love the cabbage best; I even eat the leftovers cold from the fridge.

Kim Shook - I think cannellini beans would be a good substitute for the lentils in my soup as well.

I used the leftover broth and vegetables from our corned beef meal to make a soup and we had it for dinner last night. I added some diced ham and a can of cannellini beans to the leftovers and dubbed it Ham and Bean Cabbage Soup.

Ham%2520and%2520Bean%2520Cabbage%2520Soup.jpg

Tonight was Petite Crab Cakes and Grilled Asparagus

Petite%2520Crab%2520Cakes%2520and%2520Grilled%2520Asparagus.jpg

Keith – aaahhh, if only I could – unfortunately they are 6 hours north of me. But I googled pork buns in my town and found a restaurant that serves them. Soon!

Christine – thank you, ma’am! When I make those, I always make extra for the freezer – we love having them for a pick up dinner or breakfast. We have enough for one more meal!

Dinner tonight was fried shrimp w/ rémoulade, Marlene’s panko onion rings, slaw:

med_gallery_3331_114_120343.jpg

Those onion rings are positively addictive.

amkr, welcome. Looks like you have done some cooking before, :-).

Scottyboy, sous vide fried wings, very interesting concept.

SobaAddict70, beautiful plating!

Kim, I agree, those onion rings (and the shrimps) look positively additive. Those Sausage rolls and mini quiche Lorraine will get you back to good health in no time. BTW, the sauce on my lamb chop dish is mushroom sauce.

robirdstx , beautiful photos of Petite Crab Cakes and Grilled Asparagus and bean soup.

C. sapidus, Filetes de pescado a la Campechana looks delicious and healthy.

Franci, I am always amazed by your gastronomic diversity.

FrogPrincesse, lovely tagliatelle.

Paul Bacino, Paully's Ceviche with Pomegranates makes me think of spring is coming.

Keith_W, Thank you. Your Chicken Tikka Masala looks better than what I have been making. I will have to try your way some time.

rarerollingobject, Grilled asparagus on snapper with pistachio aillade, what a nice combination!

--------------------------------------------

For Mardi Gras, not having enough ingredients for Gumbo or Jambalaya, so I made Gumbolaya. ;-)

Blackened catfish

Dirty Rice

dcarch

dirtyrice.jpg

blackenedfish.jpg

blackenedfish2.jpg

mardigras.jpg

mardigras3.jpg

Love the pepper masks Dcarch!

I hope everyone had a great Fat Tuesday! :biggrin:

In honor, I made muffulettas and fried boudin balls with a spicy tarter sauce.

The bread turned out really good. I was worried....I didn't have a back-up meal lol.

Bread rising

P2210201.JPG

Baked

P2210203.JPG

Cut

P2210205.JPG

Fillings

P2210206.JPG

P2210210.JPG

P2210212.JPG

Boudin balls--I took the skin off, rolled them up, dipped in flour, egg and Italian bread crumbs and fried

P2210208.JPG

Oh and I made cinnamon rolls with Mardi Gras sprinkles

P2210200.JPG

P2210202.JPG

Scott,

Just a quick, lesson on your fried pousin? Thanks

Sous vide, are you then breading ( while still @ that temp ? ).. then rebreading ( 15 mins later ).. fryin @ 375?

Paul

Straight out of the bag they go into the breading, left out at room temp I bread again 15 min later before the fry. Breading sticks perfectly and evenly.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Scott,

Just a quick, lesson on your fried pousin? Thanks

Sous vide, are you then breading ( while still @ that temp ? ).. then rebreading ( 15 mins later ).. fryin @ 375?

Paul

Straight out of the bag they go into the breading, left out at room temp I bread again 15 min later before the fry. Breading sticks perfectly and evenly.

No egg/milk wash? Also, I wonder how they would turn out if you SV them in buttermilk next time?

PS: I am a guy.

Using pomegranates in ceviche, what a great idea.

Jamie Oliver does the most delicious scallop crudo with pomegranates at his fifteen restaurant. Something like sliced, raw scallop with a drop of fantod olive oil, pomegranate seeds, dried coconut and crisp ginger with a little yuzu juice. It is stunning...

It sounds great! Oh, I'm missing London so much...

Dcarch, that's really cool!

Tonight we had 6 speciale de Claire

oysters.jpg

I found small plaices at 3.90 euro a kg and bought 7 of them and filleted. Breaded and panfried

friedplaices.jpg

with some artichokes and beets on the side. Beets were actually very nice, I can buy roasted in a wood oven

artickokes.jpg

beets.jpg

No egg/milk wash? Also, I wonder how they would turn out if you SV them in buttermilk next time?

No wash, they were wet straight from the bag. The roommate was requesting a crunchy but thin layer of breading and I said "I can do that". Personally I like the nice chunky fry on chicken. I was also curious about sv in buttermilk, I'll have to try it next time I have some chicken.

My eGullet Foodblog

ScottyBoy, are you differentiating between flouring and breading and other versions of coating? Crispy and thin. :)

Franci, aside from taste, that's one beautiful photo of oysters.

dcarch - vive la mardi gras. I shared the photo of the masks at the office.

Shelby - wow. love the sprinkles, and the bread especially.

Kim Shook - deep fried nirvana.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Sure. I would have a milk/egg mixture for the chicken I like. Soak in buttermilk and pat dry. Dip in breading, dip in egg/milk, dip again in breading. Put it on a wire rack in the fridge for a while to let the coating adhere. This last batch just had pretty much a flour coat.

I like chunky-crispy!

My eGullet Foodblog

Scotty Boy – Like the Wizard of Oz, your pousin transformed from black and white to glorious Technicolor. Nice!

dcarch – Your blackened catfish and happy vegetables look great!

Shelby – After all we have been through, I am hurt that you didn’t invite me to your Fat Tuesday extravaganza. :laugh:

Not the most colorful meal, but elder son added both recipes to his database of “Things Pop Should Cook for My Friends.” Marcella Hazan strikes again.

Spaghetti with smothered onions sauce – Six cups of thinly-sliced onions, slowly cooked down for an hour in butter and olive oil, and then browned, deglazed with white wine, seasoned with parsley and pepper, and tossed with grated parmigiano reggiano and spaghetti. I was fascinated by the sloooowly-fried onions, so similar to many Indian preparations.

Pan-roasted chicken with rosemary, garlic, and white wine – The softened whole garlic cloves became the cook’s treat.

Salad

p435952494-4.jpg

So tonights Lenten dinner after a hr of Indoor Soccer!!

I had some Salmon Belly, That I quick sous vide and made into :

Salmon Belly cakes with a Kishu Mandarin/Parsley Aioli.. see them left ( kishu seedless mandarins ).. Sorry I'm a pickle dude!!

6922213279_2c19d047a3.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Smothered onions sounds soooooooooooooo good on pasta. I must make that soon...

6776433506_c3e0143dfc_z.jpg

Takeout Thai last night, but had this as an app...

Poached farm egg, with sautéed hedgehog mushrooms, green garlic and parsley

I had scored some green garlic during my last trip to USGM so this was the perfect opportunity to use it. Now I have to wait a few more weeks before it becomes more widely available. *sigh*

Hedgehog mushrooms are botanically related to chanterelles but are roughly a fraction as expensive

Scotty Boy – Like the Wizard of Oz, your pousin transformed from black and white to glorious Technicolor. Nice!

dcarch – Your blackened catfish and happy vegetables look great!

Shelby – After all we have been through, I am hurt that you didn’t invite me to your Fat Tuesday extravaganza. :laugh:

Not the most colorful meal, but elder son added both recipes to his database of “Things Pop Should Cook for My Friends.” Marcella Hazan strikes again.

Spaghetti with smothered onions sauce – Six cups of thinly-sliced onions, slowly cooked down for an hour in butter and olive oil, and then browned, deglazed with white wine, seasoned with parsley and pepper, and tossed with grated parmigiano reggiano and spaghetti. I was fascinated by the sloooowly-fried onions, so similar to many Indian preparations.

Pan-roasted chicken with rosemary, garlic, and white wine – The softened whole garlic cloves became the cook’s treat.

Salad

p435952494-4.jpg

You know by now that you don't need an invite, just come on over :biggrin:

I gotta try that onion sauce.

The dinner last night for another group of awesome people.

Sous vide some pacific salmon at 105 for 20 minutes in bacon fat. Made some satsuma buerre blanc, whipped eggs whites, folded it in then torched it. I was really happy with the mi cuit texture and the bacon fat give it a smaked salmon taste and smell.

6777611364_df387d4e10_z.jpg

Roasted pumpkin, onions and garlic in curry and cream, charged in an iSi and added some chopped hazelnuts. This was a hit.

6777611766_853bd04a7a_z.jpg

Seared squab breast. Took the legs and carcass and made squab stock then braised oxtail in it. A couple of my bussel sprouts in the back.

6923725009_0baf763687_z.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Soba – thanks! Smothered onions were probably be best sauce I had never heard of before. The combination of sautéed mushrooms, green garlic, and poached egg sounds (and looks!) divine.

Shelby – is sixish a good time to drop in? :laugh:

Scotty Boy – That looks like a glorious meal

Welcomed Mrs. C home with a simple dinner.

Black beans with chorizo and pork loin – with Poblano chiles, cilantro, and a dollop of leftover tomato-habanero sauce.

Arroz blanco plus – jasmine rice with white onion, garlic, Poblano chiles, peas, corn, and parsley

Apologies for the lousy pic – I inadvertently left the camera on ISO 1600 :wacko:

p706969783-4.jpg