Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style


Marlene
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Annnnnd I just read Smithy's post.  So...I'm the weirdo lol.

 

I can never look at your cookery and think you a weirdo!

  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both explanations make perfect sense to me -- and thanks. We have our own measurement units: Inches (of tomato paste, or whiskey, or whisky) wodges, blivets, skoshes, etc. Within the group that matters, everyone understands what needs to be understood. It's only when you invite an outsider to metaphorically look over your shoulder that things get confusing.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

It's only when you invite an outsider to metaphorically look over your shoulder that things get confusing.

 

I could claim that I put it out that way to see if anyone actually read it, but I'd be lying. Thanks for the question and comment.

  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Annnnnd I just read Smithy's post.  So...I'm the weirdo lol.

No you are not  I do something similar. That style of a dish is not exectly "get out the scale" I'mthe goof that says the smell will tell you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

One more question...what's the ingredient underneath the TBS of butter?  I know once you tell me it will be a "DUH" moment for me.

 

Oh, sorry! No, that isn't a dumb question at all. It's "nus wa nus"...half and half, in Arabic. We haven't been to Egypt in years but old dialect dies hard. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Let's go to the Salton Sea!" we said.

 - "It won't be as windy there!" we said.

 - "It won't be as hot there!" we said.

 - "Things may be blooming there!" we said.

 - "The roads are better and a change of scenery for cycling will be good!" we said.

 

Well, one of those four predictions was right. Two, if you squint. It's been blowing like crazy here most days, and hot. If it weren't blowing so hard it would be even hotter, so we're counting our blessings on that front. The Salton Sea provides a nice cooling effect when the wind is right. Its moodiness reminds me of why I fell in love with Lake Superior.

 

20220320_161141-1.jpg

 

We stopped for a few groceries in a little town along the way, and were hit with the sticker shock so many of you have talked about. A pint of Miracle Whip was $6.70! That didn't stop us from buying it, but I really hope it was more the small-town-grocer effect than the supply-chain price effect. We picked up pork steaks of the type he likes, and chicken for a dish I plan to do. 

 

20220317_130904-1.jpg

 

Moving camp is always a big deal, especially when we've been set up for so long. The outdoor kitchen had been packed the day before, leaving the forlorn campfire setup I showed you before. Still...it was a chore to move even a couple hundred miles, and we were tired when we finished.

 

When we got set up, we sat out and admired the new view

 

20220320_161614-1.jpg

 

and each had a beer. I promised someone - @lindag I think? - to show my favorite beer. Truth is, I've had very little beer this trip. That night, it tasted mighty good.

 

20220318_182330-1.jpg

 

Neither of us had interest in cooking, or for that matter eating. We noshed on chips and the remainder of our road-food sandwiches, and called it a night.

 

The very next morning, the electrical failures began. (Have I mentioned that I know far more about the Princessmobile's electrical systems than I care to?) I think we have it all sorted, except that I used our last spare part and am having the Devil's Own Time getting a replacement delivered somewhere I can get to it.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected shout-out from LindaK to lindag (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

"Let's go to the Salton Sea!" we said.

 - "It won't be as windy there!" we said.

 - "It won't be as hot there!" we said.

 - "Things may be blooming there!" we said.

 - "The roads are better and a change of scenery for cycling will be good!" we said.

 

Well, one of those four predictions was right. Two, if you squint. It's been blowing like crazy here most days, and hot. If it weren't blowing so hard it would be even hotter, so we're counting our blessings on that front. The Salton Sea provides a nice cooling effect when the wind is right. Its moodiness reminds me of why I fell in love with Lake Superior.

 

20220320_161141-1.jpg

 

We stopped for a few groceries in a little town along the way, and were hit with the sticker shock so many of you have talked about. A pint of Miracle Whip was $6.70! That didn't stop us from buying it, but I really hope it was more the small-town-grocer effect than the supply-chain price effect. We picked up pork steaks of the type he likes, and chicken for a dish I plan to do. 

 

20220317_130904-1.jpg

 

Moving camp is always a big deal, especially when we've been set up for so long. The outdoor kitchen had been packed the day before, leaving the forlorn campfire setup I showed you before. Still...it was a chore to move even a couple hundred miles, and we were tired when we finished.

 

When we got set up, we sat out and admired the new view

 

20220320_161614-1.jpg

 

and each had a beer. I promised someone - @LindaKI think? - to show my favorite beer. Truth is, I've had very little beer this trip. That night, it tasted mighty good.

 

20220318_182330-1.jpg

 

Neither of us had interest in cooking, or for that matter eating. We noshed on chips and the remainder of our road-food sandwiches, and called it a night.

 

The very next morning, the electrical failures began. (Have I mentioned that I know far more about the Princessmobile's electrical systems than I care to?) I think we have it all sorted, except that I used our last spare part and am having the Devil's Own Time getting a replacement delivered somewhere I can get to it.

Welcome to the wind tunnel! This is the most continually windy year I’ve experienced since I have been a desert resident (residency began in 1982).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've lived in Central California/Bay Area for half a century.   The wind has increased exponentially in the last 5 years.   It was NEVER this windy when I was a kid..  Believe in global warming.  It is here in many forms.

  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Welcome to the wind tunnel! This is the most continually windy year I’ve experienced since I have been a desert resident (residency began in 1982).

I haven't been able to get any of my"getting-the-house-ready-to-sell" outdoor chores done in at least a couple of weeks. There's more wind today. Grrr.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Sad 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many windy days here, too.  There was an article in the LA Times a week or so ago, Why it’s been so warm and windy in Southern California this winter, that said that there had been at least 20 Santa Ana wind events this season, with each lasting 2-3 days, equating to 40 - 60 days of wind.  I believe we've had 2 additional events since the article.  I find it unsettling, even in my house - can't imagine having days upon days of it in an RV!

  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...and in addition to wind, there are earthquakes. A day or two ago, while I was sitting at the table and typing, I felt a light jolt. Did the trailer suspension suddenly settle? Was my darling doing jumping jacks on the deck? I couldn't figure it out until I went to an earthquake tracking site. There had been a small one, right down the lake from us. 

 

Screenshot_20220320-194128_Chrome.jpg

 

We went for propane a couple of days ago and were delighted to see that the nearest little market has expanded and improved immensely since we were last here.

 

20220321_142837.jpg

 

Our last visit was pre-pandemic, and at that time the market seemed to be struggling with getting supplies - including propane, our main need. There were large gaps in the shelf stock, and what we saw there was nothing we'd be interested in buying.

 

Now, we examined the well-stocked shelves. The spice rack was interesting. What do people do with horsetail? I'm sure that's the Cola de Caballo; it looks exactly like dried and cut versions of the little plant that grows by our streams.

 

20220322_145804.jpg

 

There are all kinds of interesting, relatively inexpensive kitchen utensils. If I'd wanted a tortilla press, I could have gotten one for about $17. I don't think that's a great price, but I've seen them for more money also.

 

20220322_145658.jpg

 

The meat counter had gaps in the product, but what they had looked very good. (The maiz rojo and maiz blanco were actually with the spices, but I needed to fill out this collage.)

 

20220322_154837.jpg

 

They never had an ice cream section when we were here before!

 

20220322_154706.jpg

 

Next door, in that complex, was a little ice cream shop we didn't visit, that advertised "hot dogs with bacon" as well as various ices and ice creams. A Mexican restaurant wasn't open but looked as though it would be soon. It's so nice to see the little desert town of North Shore start to revive; it's always looked a bit down-at-the-heels to us.

 

At another store my sales resistance broke down. 😁

 

20220322_145520.jpg

 

I used to have a pair of rectangular enameled baking dishes like this. They're perfect for a toaster oven or, in today's world, a Cuisinart Steam Oven. I got rid of mine -- perhaps because they were a pain to clean, perhaps because I thought I had enough other gadgets. Well, I've reaquired one. For $6, I'll probably get enough pleasure out of it even if only as a prep bowl.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2022 at 7:58 PM, Smithy said:

 

On 3/20/2022 at 7:58 PM, Smithy said:

Our road-food sandwiches involved opening a package of cheese that I purchased early in the trip also - back in Iowa, maybe? It's pretty good. Not too terribly hot, just enough of a kick to remind you of Buffalo Wings. The cheese itself tastes more like American cheese than true cheddar.

 

20220320_161921.jpg

 

 

Mr. Kim would love to try that cheese.  I think they really missed the opportunity to perfectly pair a cheese with Buffalo Chicken.  I should have been bleu cheese, of course!  LOL

 

I would have bought a half dozen of those little enamel pans for $6 a piece!  I'd never seen them until @CantCookStillTry started posting food in them and I fell in love.  Mr. Kim and Jessica have gotten me a few.  I use them as often as I can.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a couple of those small rectangular pans years ago.  Mine are made by Nordic Ware and are non-stick so easy to clean.  I use them a lot.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim would love to try that cheese.  I think they really missed the opportunity to perfectly pair a cheese with Buffalo Chicken.  I should have been bleu cheese, of course!  LOL

 

I would have bought a half dozen of those little enamel pans for $6 a piece!  I'd never seen them until @CantCookStillTry started posting food in them and I fell in love.  Mr. Kim and Jessica have gotten me a few.  I use them as often as I can.  

 

Do you have to take any special care to keep them from getting gunk baked onto them? I've never seen @ElsieD's Nordicware version, but I must admit that - like @heidih - the color was part of what drew me in. I'll be glad to get advance advice on how to take care of these. Heck, I might even go back and get a few more. 😁

  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the Instant Pot last night to try out a new recipe, using some chicken thighs I picked up at that little market a couple of days ago. As noted before, the Miracle Whip was staggeringly expensive. Chicken, on the other hand, was not: $1.39 for chicken thighs is pretty darned good, I think.

 

This Basque-style chicken piperade involved chicken thighs, canned diced tomatoes, slices of onion and red bell pepper, chicken broth, a touch of white wine, noodles and spices. I am a born beta-tester: if something can go wrong or break, I'll make the mistake or break it. I think my basic issue here was that I didn't cut the recipe down properly for the 3-quart IP mini we carry aboard the Princessmobile, with the result that there was a bit more sauce for the noodles than we'd have liked. 

 

20220323_120131.jpg

 

Still, the flavors were good. I've discovered some streamlining tips that I'll use next time, and be more careful about the proportions. Definitely a keeper.

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

 

Do you have to take any special care to keep them from getting gunk baked onto them? I've never seen @ElsieD's Nordicware version, but I must admit that - like @heidih - the color was part of what drew me in. I'll be glad to get advance advice on how to take care of these. Heck, I might even go back and get a few more. 😁

So far I've just sprayed them really well with Pam and soaked them as soon as they were empty and I've had no problems.  I've certainly cooked some sticky stuff in them, including mac and cheese and corn casserole:

IMG_7463.jpg.2d34552d4593c18475397476a79f7f11.jpg

and I've had no problems.  @CantCookStillTry may have more advice than me.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

So far I've just sprayed them really well with Pam and soaked them as soon as they were empty and I've had no problems.  I've certainly cooked some sticky stuff in them, including mac and cheese and corn casserole:

IMG_7463.jpg.2d34552d4593c18475397476a79f7f11.jpg

and I've had no problems.  @CantCookStillTry may have more advice than me.

 

I've been using an inexpensive enamelware pan for my baked potatoes.  The enamel surface is not affected by the bed of salt.  Salt eats through bare steel like butter.

 

(Maybe not the greatest analogy but it sounds good.)

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

 @CantCookStillTry may have more advice than me.

 

I'm afraid I don't have any advice really 😬. I don't think I do anything special. The larger one in my pic is one of my Nans and would have to be a bare minimum of 35 years old. The smaller one is one I purchased maybe 5 years ago?? Neither have had any more love than dish soap and water. Nans is getting discoloured on the base, but I kinda like that, rustic / history type stuff - Sorry!! 0 help what so ever. 

20220324_184416.thumb.jpg.e8181e106c1ec415d3dada7212f5cfb7.jpg

 

Ps. Love the pans. How much is international freight these days ?! 😬

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are what I have.  I'm guessing I've had them for maybe 20 years and over time, some of the coating has come off so I now line the pans with non-stick foil.  I always found t g em easy to clean.

 

Edited to add:  the length and width of my pans are the same as they list, but the depth of mine are 1.5".  Older version perhaps?

 

 

https://www.nordicware.com/products/naturals-nonstick-eighth-sheet/

Edited by ElsieD
Added a couple of sentences (log)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had occasion to use the new blue pan to to hold fried Tater Tots as they drained on paper towels last night, but didn't get a picture of it. What happened was, we sat out admiring the gorgeous sunset far past the time I should have started cooking.

 

20220324_084709.jpg

 

I had already promised to do fried fish and Tots. The camp stove wasn't set up and I'd decided to cook inside, despite my usual kvetching about frying inside and the mess it makes. 

 

Well. "Mess" doesn't begin to address the mad spattering when the Tots hit the oil; the oil was probably too hot and the Tots definitely have crystallized ice in them. The upshot is that the kitchen is now the cleanest it's been since we left home on this trip. (Another consequence is that he says he never again wants to hear a complaint from me about his frying hash inside!)

 

20220324_084817.jpg

 

Tonight I've promised mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham. It can be prepped in the afternoon, then bunged into the oven while we sit outside and admire the view. Much more practical.

 

In other news: I found this unopened package, lost in a ditch crevice, during our walk this morning. Assuming it's really as sealed as I think it is, what shall I do with the contents?

 

20220324_092540.jpg

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I had occasion to use the new blue pan to to hold fried Tater Tots as they drained on paper towels last night, but didn't get a picture of it. What happened was, we sat out admiring the gorgeous sunset far past the time I should have started cooking.

 

20220324_084709.jpg

 

I had already promised to do fried fish and Tots. The camp stove wasn't set up and I'd decided to cook inside, despite my usual kvetching about frying inside and the mess it makes. 

 

Well. "Mess" doesn't begin to address the mad spattering when the Tots hit the oil; the oil was probably too hot and the Tots definitely have crystallized ice in them. The upshot is that the kitchen is now the cleanest it's been since we left home on this trip. (Another consequence is that he says he never again wants to hear a complaint from me about his frying hash inside!)

 

20220324_084817.jpg

 

Tonight I've promised mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham. It can be prepped in the afternoon, then bunged into the oven while we sit outside and admire the view. Much more practical.

 

In other news: I found this unopened package, lost in a ditch crevice, during our walk this morning. Assuming it's really as sealed as I think it is, what shall I do with the contents?

 

20220324_092540.jpg

 

 

That fish looks delicious.  What kind is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it flavored - like wth sesame oil? I'd give it a taste to see how crisp itis and holdover a flame to tost if needed. a nice snack with a drink while you admire the view. Rolls of course but  then I'd want rice, shrimp or other protein, or maybe just avocado, pickled gongr, and wasabi/soy sauce to dip - so thats a bit of a production if not all on hand.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...