• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggnog – Recipes, Ingredients, Styles, etc.

Jason Perlow

54 minutes ago, kayb said:

I will warn you. That stuff will light you up.

And the liquor store peeps are amused when the little old lady comes in asking for Everclear.

I am minded of the time I made eggnog with lab ethanol.  The eggs curdled as if they were fried.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

7 hours ago, kayb said:

I will warn you. That stuff will light you up.

Ha!  My new egg nog toast will be "Let there be Light!"

This is true.  This is not an egg nog for amateurs.  I like the Everclear flavor cleanliness.  I do not like rum, years of avoiding egg nog due to the rum flavors kinda made me adverse most offered versions.   This stuff ages perfectly, one of my batches is from 2019 and is heavenly.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, Wisp said:

Where can I find Nina's eggnog recipe??

Here ya go: @ninagluck's    Eggnog recipe

There are questions and discussion in a few following posts.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Husband declares it the Holidays at some point with a request for eggnog.    I make it to order in a pyrex cup.   

One organic egg, about 2 tablespoons superfine sugar, about 1/2 cup whipping cream.    Beat together until frothy.    Add a splash of each cognac and dark rum, about a jigger each..   Grate nutmeg on top.    Serve in balloon glass.   

Two per season allowed.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

@TdeVmy ex and I used to make at least 4x a similar recipe - twice in one night! It was about 80 bottles of the stuff. It was his German great-great grandfather’s recipe which used brandy, rum, and bourbon.   We gave it out to his employees.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Thanks to @blue_dolphin's recommendation I'm planning to make some eggnog. This recipe calls for ~3 cups volume for eggnog for 2. If I want to double the recipe, can I use an immersion blender, or, should I make the drink in 2 separate batches? (My blender is 5 cups)

I'm not sure which recipe you are using. The one I recommended, Clyde Common’s Tequila-Sherry Egg Nog from Jeffery Morganthaler, calls for 12 eggs, uses a stand mixer and has an estimated yield of ~ 1 gal.  I suspect an immersion blender would work if that's what you prefer. 

Edited to add that now I see you may be following the 1/6 scale recipe he gives for 2 servings.  Sorry I missed that. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1