• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

A birthday cake for a friend who can't eat wheat (she poofs a lot  :blink: ).  Almond chocolate cake with orange and lemon peel.  Its darker than it looks in this picture:

gallery_41282_4652_13342.jpg

OMG that looks SO tasty! Makes me swoon :wub: Recipe please!

HOLY! That is truly ART! :shock: How'd you do it?!

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

gallery_41282_4652_13342.jpg

OMG that looks SO tasty! Makes me swoon  :wub: Recipe please!

You can find it in the index under Special Diets - Almond Cake. And it truly was a fantastic cake - I wish I could take credit for it, but the recipe is The Old Foodie's.

Since the temperature dropped 44 degrees since yesterday, tonight's warm, comfy dessert is quartered purple plums simmered gently in a little skillet in butter, sugar, a drop of vanilla and a shot of Buttershot. Thickened caramelly sauce, soft sweet plums---over a scoop of vanilla in my beautiful new blue bowls.

Ling - I'm trying to imagine a foie gras tarte tatin. What did you serve it as - dessert, appetizer...? Is that a big hunk of foie gras in the picture?

It was the dessert at my all-duck dinner. (Previous courses included: Szechuan peppercorn duck prosciutto, duck rillettes, confit of duck gizzards on Puy lentils, Toulouse-style cassoleut.)

Yes, that's a piece of foie gras in the picture. Here's a link to a better picture.

http://flickr.com/photos/41912613@N00/1456092189/

Ling - The idea of Foie Gras doesn't do it for me at all, but even I am salivating at that picture - It's absolutely beautiful. All those syrups and crispy bits. Wow!

Shop-bought Ice cream, but the star is the syrup - Sherry, black pepper and root ginger. The smell of it warm is amazing.

gallery_49436_4583_42382.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I made Pille's beet cake! Well, sort of. Altered the recipe a little: halved it, whole wheat flour, extra ginger, (powdered and crystallized), added a little nutmeg (my favourite spice lately) and some milk when it looked too dry. And I kind of eyeballed the amount of beet to use. But it turned out really well! :laugh:

gallery_54928_4907_92975.jpg

Kate

Ling - I'm trying to imagine a foie gras tarte tatin. What did you serve it as - dessert, appetizer...? Is that a big hunk of foie gras in the picture?

It was the dessert at my all-duck dinner. (Previous courses included: Szechuan peppercorn duck prosciutto, duck rillettes, confit of duck gizzards on Puy lentils, Toulouse-style cassoleut.)

Yes, that's a piece of foie gras in the picture. Here's a link to a better picture.

http://flickr.com/photos/41912613@N00/1456092189/

Ling,

I took a look at the link---I always DID say your desserts look like you upended your jewelry box over the plate. :cool:

I made Pille's beet cake!  Well, sort of.  Altered the recipe a little: halved it, whole wheat flour, extra ginger, (powdered and crystallized), added a little nutmeg (my favourite spice lately) and some milk when it looked too dry.  And I kind of eyeballed the amount of beet to use.  But it turned out really well!  :laugh:

gallery_54928_4907_92975.jpg

So pleased to hear that I managed to inspire you and that the cake turned out well, Eskay. :wub: You just made my day! :biggrin: I see you grated your beetroot finely - I quite liked the coarsely grated version, but yours is more elegant, I must admit.

Ling - there's a recipe for chicken liver and raisin tart in Jill Norman's "The Cook's Book" - your foie gras tatin reminds me of that one. I've got the tart bookmarked, and now I'm even keener to try it that before. Such an interesting concept..

Everyone's desserts look so gorgeous and professional and droolingly delicious! Ling always, always amazes! Now that we seem to be up and running after 2 months of computer problems, I'll post a few things I've done recently. Here are some of my homely efforts:

Chocolate/Chocolate Birthday cake for my FIL:

gallery_34972_3570_1281239.jpg

Sliced:

gallery_34972_3570_105554.jpg

It is my standard chocolate chiffon cake that I love above all others, but the frosting was new. It was a creamy frosting that I found at recipezaar.com and it was some of the best I have ever had!

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:

gallery_34972_3570_355901.jpg

Coconut 'Nana Pudding:

gallery_34972_3570_1053427.jpg

This looks horrible (hey, I have a contribution to the regrettable dishes thread :laugh:!!), but tasted fantastic. It was inspired by a dessert that we had Les Halles in DC last year and I finally made it.

A trio of brownies that I made for Mr. Kim's Geekfest '07 (otherwise known as Fantasy Football Draft :wink: ) -

Plain:

gallery_34972_3570_712278.jpg

Cream Cheese:

gallery_34972_3570_424196.jpg

Peanut Butter:

gallery_34972_3570_196163.jpg

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes for Mr. Kim's birthday (that's what the big lug requested):

gallery_34972_3570_1290622.jpg

You can't see because of my blurry photo, but on top are candied lemon peel and crumbled freeze dried raspberries. The raspberries are something that Michel Ricard suggests using in "Happy in the Kitchen". OMG - what a POW of flavor they add! If you look at these and then at the pictures of my cakes, you will see why I adore making cupcakes. My cupcakes are always pretty. My cakes usually look like I made them during some natural disaster :blink: !

MIL's birthday cake (Chocolate w/ 7 minute frosting):

gallery_34972_3570_759022.jpg

And lastly, Tin Roof Brownies for Mr. Kim's tailgate in Charlottesville:

gallery_34972_3570_1024111.jpg

(can you tell I love brownies?)

Ok, I'm sure everyone's tired of my massive down load. I'll go bug the folks over at the dinner thread now (I've got a lot more of those pictures :raz: ).

Kim

Pille: I can't take credit for the idea! I was inspired by this recipe: foie gras tarte tatin

Kim: Everything looks delicious! What are tin roof brownies? I used to love eating tin roof sundae ice-cream and I don't quite remember what was in it...something crunchy, salty, and caramel-y?

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Pille: I can't take credit for the idea! I was inspired by this recipe: foie gras tarte tatin

Kim: Everything looks delicious! What are tin roof brownies? I used to love eating tin roof sundae ice-cream and I don't quite remember what was in it...something crunchy, salty, and caramel-y?

Ling, Tin Roof bars are just brownies, hot from the oven, spread with marshmallow creme, sprinkled with salted peanuts and then topped with chocolate - pop back in the oven for a minute and then the melted chocolate is spread on top clickety!

Kim

I'm totally hooked on the Ultimate Apple Tart from the September/October issue of Cook's Illustrated. This will be my 5th in about 10 days. I'm going to try to shake it up a little and use bananas and brown sugar instead of apples - I'm trying to replicate a Bananas Foster type of thing.

I'm going apple picking tomorrow so I'll probably make apple cake tomorrow.

Inspired by Rob's pics and description of the boiled orange cake, I had to give it a try. I'm glad I did. Very tasty and heavy and dense (my cake preference any time so that's perfect). I used satsuma mandarins for the oranges and put a thin layer of milk chocolate and orange ganache on top before the glaze. Everybody that tried it loved it.

gallery_53467_5170_15591.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2cook: That's a stunning cake! Did you come up with the recipe yourself?

Here's a caramel nut tart (pinenuts, macadamia, walnuts, pecans). I'm going to serve it with a Valrhona chocolate sauce and vin de noix cream tonight, although I probably won't have time to take a picture tonight. It's really good...I made an extra tart just for me and I ate 3 pieces today already! :laugh:

1562346149_ab1c7138a8.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)

just pulled out some molasses clove cookies from the oven. I had some froze dough balls in the freezer that I has made previously and was out of sweet treats to eat, so I decided to bake the remainder of the batch.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Here's a caramel nut tart (pinenuts, macadamia, walnuts, pecans). I'm going to serve it with a Valrhona chocolate sauce and vin de noix cream tonight, although I probably won't have time to take a picture tonight. It's really good...I made an extra tart just for me and I ate 3 pieces today already!  :laugh:

Another beauty! I love nut tarts. They're my absolute favourite desserts. What kind of crust did you use? A nut crust? Do you have a recipe for the tart that you'd care to share? I know you often just wing your desserts (I wish I had that kind of creativity), but I may as well ask!

Tonight my 11 year old daughter and I made blueberry pies in some cute little tart pans I found. I haven't made pie dough in years so it was a learning experience for both of us. The pies are still cooling so we haven't tried them yet but they look pretty good.

Melissa

In the oven right now, are molten lava cakes.

Edited to add the finished dish with homemade vanilla bean icecream.

gallery_6080_205_41553.jpg

gallery_6080_205_53161.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Tri2cook: That's a stunning cake! Did you come up with the recipe yourself?

Nope, can't claim that one. It's from THIS THREAD. My only contribution to it was the layer of milk chocolate and orange ganache between the cake and the glaze.

Here's a caramel nut tart (pinenuts, macadamia, walnuts, pecans). I'm going to serve it with a Valrhona chocolate sauce and vin de noix cream tonight, although I probably won't have time to take a picture tonight. It's really good...I made an extra tart just for me and I ate 3 pieces today already!  :laugh:

That tart looks awesome... and nice ring too. Congrats!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.