• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple side with ham - not sweet

MaryIsobel

That pretty much says it all. I do like pineapple with ham, which is what's for Thanksgiving this year. I know there is a pineapple casserole that's very popular in the southern US, but when I ran it past the "Board" it didn't fly. I know I could grill fresh pineapple spears but was looking for something with just a little more "something." Our family is fairly adventerous (despite the naysaying on the casserole) and we tend to prefer savoury/salty to sweet other than for desserts. If it helps, the sides will be au gratin potatoes, green beans almondine, marinated vegetables, rolls, and assorted mustards

49 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

That pretty much says it all. I do like pineapple with ham, which is what's for Thanksgiving this year. I know there is a pineapple casserole that's very popular in the southern US, but when I ran it past the "Board" it didn't fly. I know I could grill fresh pineapple spears but was looking for something with just a little more "something." Our family is fairly adventerous (despite the naysaying on the casserole) and we tend to prefer savoury/salty to sweet other than for desserts. If it helps, the sides will be au gratin potatoes, green beans almondine, marinated vegetables, rolls, and assorted mustards

I know you said no grilled, and I have no idea if it would go along with the sides, but I'm quite partial to grilled pineapple with a sour/sweet/salty tamarind drizzle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd go crunch and consider the pinepple chunks maybe lightly broiled mixed with spring onions, cabbage, a nuoc mam type dressing with lots o citrus and grated ginger. Takes the sorta one note out o the meal. Keep cabbage proportion low and watch the salt. I like this style tossed with noodle o your choice - again not the star just an added texture. Play :   Kids and adults like a touch o mayo added.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I know you said no grilled, and I have no idea if it would go along with the sides, but I'm quite partial to grilled pineapple with a sour/sweet/salty tamarind drizzle.

Tamarind drizzle is an interesting idea - thanks!

• Like 1

Kind out of left field, but how do you feel about kimchi?  Unfortunately, I don’t have a recipe but my favorite BBQ peeps make a pineapple kimchi that is fabulous with pork. I can see a pineapple kimchi slaw being an interesting side and would be excellent on sandwiches even if it didn’t go over in round one 🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kind out of left field, but how do you feel about kimchi?  Unfortunately, I don’t have a recipe but my favorite BBQ peeps make a pineapple kimchi that is fabulous with pork. I can see a pineapple kimchi slaw being an interesting side and would be excellent on sandwiches even if it didn’t go over in round one 🙃

Way to think outside the box! I'll have peruse a few recipes.

Chili & honey grilled pineapple

Pineapple salsa

Grilled pineapple salsa

Pineapple fried rice

Sweet potato gratin  though, maybe this is the casserole that was voted down?

Pineapple chutney

Edited to add that I saw a recipe for stir-fried pineapple with ginger that sounded interesting.  It's made with garlic, shallots, fresh ginger, soy sauce, lime juice and a fresh red chile.  I can't find link but if you're interested, I can paraphrase the recipe.  It's from a book called Thai Food and Cooking

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Chili & honey grilled pineapple

Pineapple salsa

Grilled pineapple salsa

Pineapple fried rice

Sweet potato gratin  though, maybe this is the casserole that was voted down?

Pineapple chutney

Edited to add that I saw a recipe for stir-fried pineapple with ginger that sounded interesting.  It's made with garlic, shallots, fresh ginger, soy sauce, lime juice and a fresh red chile.  I can't find link but if you're interested, I can paraphrase the recipe.  It's from a book called Thai Food and Cooking

Thanks @blue_dolphin. The chili and honey grilled pineaapple is kind of what I had envisioned!

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Duvel, my suggestion of ham al pastor was not intended to be humorous.

Did you mean because o the "trompo" with the pineappler thick on top as it rotates?

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Did you mean because o the "trompo" with the pineappler thick on top as it rotates?

Yes, if I understand correctly, I think the roasted pineapple would be great with ham slices cooked on the vertical spit.  I recently got  a pan with a spit for meat al pastor.  I have not used it yet, but when I feel well enough I intend to try it with slices of pork loin and pineapple.  There is an Anova recipe for pork al pastor.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, if I understand correctly, I think the roasted pineapple would be great with ham slices cooked on the vertical spit.  I recently got  a pan with a spit for meat al pastor.  I have not used it yet, but when I feel well enough I intend to try it with slices of pork loin and pineapple.  There is an Anova recipe for pork al pastor.

Al  pastor is what has me hooked on pork of any kind and pineapple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Duvel, my suggestion of ham al pastor was not intended to be humorous.

And yet the idea amuses me a lot - I even might give it a go. In my head it translates into a German Döner Hawaii, and that’s hilarious 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2

similar ideas have probably already been mentioned :

Pineapple chutney ( curry ) :

get a pineapple that's tart .

add a curry paste from a jar , to your liking and heat // spice level .

easy peasy 

7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@MaryIsobel if I were you, I would seriously reconsider this recipe. I have made it many times. As is, it is delicious. I have cut back on the sugar it is still great. One time I completely forgot to put in the sugar and it was still good. The pineapple itself has enough sweetness that it can carry the recipe and the cheddar cheese gives it a flavor that is indescribable. It almost makes it taste like mango.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@MaryIsobel if I were you, I would seriously reconsider this recipe. I have made it many times. As is, it is delicious. I have cut back on the sugar it is still great. One time I completely forgot to put in the sugar and it was still good. The pineapple itself has enough sweetness that it can carry the recipe and the cheddar cheese gives it a flavor that is indescribable. It almost makes it taste like mango.

Well darn it - I was up for trying it but no one else was. Maybe I will make a small one to have with the leftover (if there is any!) ham. Leaving out or cutting back on the sugar sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

Another idea: if it's a relatively sour pineapple that's out of season, blend it into juice and use it to brine/marinate chicken.  Pretty much any kind of marinade will work with pineapple, I like to mix into the pineapple juice whatever I have on hand, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sake/mirin, etc.  If I have citrus, whether lemon, lime, orange, mandarins, etc, it always comes out super tasty :)  If you need a starting place, google "El Pollo Loco copycat chicken marinade". 

Little bit of a waste possibly, since pineapple juice is way cheaper from the can versus fresh, but sometimes the grocery store pineapples are picked way too early for transport.

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Thanks 1

Ha - not a one. After perhaps one too many texts to my daughter saying "what do you think about this?" she replied "Mom, why don't you just drop the pineapple idea?" So I did. It was a great meal without the pineapple. The ham was moist and delicious, the roasted Brussels with pancetta and balsamic were devoured and I made my first ever pecan pie along with the obligatory pumpkin. I was surprised that the pecan pie was no where near as cloyingly sweet as I had always imagined it to be. One daughter brought a fresh cranberry/jalapeno salsa that was terrific. She served it over Boursin with crackers. The Bloody Caesar tomatoes were also a big hit, even with my soon-to-be son-in-law who doesn't care for tomatoes. I guess soaking them in vodka helped with that. Also made my standard water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. If I don't make them someone always asks why I didn't.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3