• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

This evening after about 3 min of careful research I determined I didn't have the ingrediants for what I wanted. I made it anyway. What I wanted was a molten chocolate lava flourless...whatever you call it... to go with Carmelized Banana Icecream.

I used some Lindt white chocolate, butter, cocoa powder, eggs, sugar, and flour with Alton Brown's Lava Cupcake method.

And it actually worked perfectly except even when I use the actual recipe these things take much longer to bake than the recipe says. New oven in 2 weeks so I won't worry.

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think I made a dessert overkill, but when get started with the piping bag I really can't stop again. And I love the lambeth style. So this is dessert tonight, and it's vegan too. Chocolate cake with mocha buttercream. And rolled fondant, royal icing and gumpaste flower.

I can't wait... and I accidentally posted it twice in ImageGullet. Oops.

gallery_56283_5302_86648.jpg

Beautiful!

The cake is vegan? Can I ask you what you made your buttercream out of? I'm assuming shortening?

I've become obsessed with French Macarons. I just did the Gingerbread Macarons from the LA Times and did an orange cream cheese filling.

I also made some regular flavored ones with a salted caramel filling. This week it's more of those, plus a raspberry buttercream filling and maybe a pistachio version as well.

I'm not sure how to post an image here, so you can see photos on my blog:More Macarons.

This is really my first foray into baking as I'm more of a cook. However, this is really fun!

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

Jayejo: I would never have been able to tell that those were the only perfect macarons, heh. They look great :smile:

I made Banoffee pie a few weeks ago. And I just realized I haven't made another dessert in a while (too many people giving desserts as gifts, grr!!!).

gallery_53129_4592_9201.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Beautiful!

The cake is vegan? Can I ask you what you made your buttercream out of? I'm assuming shortening?

i also ask...all your gumpastes, fondants, etc. are made without gelatin?

No shortening, but vegan margarine (not soy).

The gumpaste and rolled fondant is made with tylose, and instead of eggwhite I use linseed gel (linseed boiled, then strained, the water turns to gel).

Jayejo: I would never have been able to tell that those were the only perfect macarons, heh. They look great :smile:

Thanks jumanggy! I'm excited to work on the raspberry Thursday night. I'm convinced that macarons are the new cupcake...

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

Beautiful!

i also ask...all your gumpastes, fondants, etc. are made without gelatin?

The gumpaste and rolled fondant is made with tylose, and instead of eggwhite I use linseed gel (linseed boiled, then strained, the water turns to gel).

Sif, your cakes are stunning. It's hard to believe you've only been at it for a year!

I made cupcakes, but packed them away before I remembered to take a picture, so just pretend this is a full dozen :raz:  I made the lemon macadamia nut cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, except they're not vegan, since I used cow's milk (just lactose free).  Darn tasty though.  I need to get me some pastry tips, enough of this spreading with a knife nonsense.

1836132396_c7de8855f1.jpg

Now I have leftover lemon icing.  Suggestions?  Otherwise I may just start eating it with a spoon  :wink:

I have that little book and I love it.

Funny, that's the same thing I make my hair gel out of :wink: Do you use golden flaxseed or the regular brown flaxseed to make your gel? And do you use it as an egg substitute in your baking too?

I made Banoffee pie a few weeks ago. And I just realized I haven't made another dessert in a while (too many people giving desserts as gifts, grr!!!).

gallery_53129_4592_9201.jpg

I would like to dive face first into this :biggrin:

I baked poundcake Sunday night for one of the office staff who is leaving on Wednesday.  Western recipes are generally too large for most Japanese people, so I cut it into slices, and wrapped about 10 of them (half the cake) in little gift bags.  That meant I got to keep the other half!

Sour Cream and Lemon Pound Cake, my all-time favourite recipe. 

The crust is the best part!

gallery_11355_5288_34453.jpg

It's very moist and buttery.  It reminds me a lot of Sara Lee Pound Cake, but it's better!

I couldn't use sour cream because mine had frozen in the fridge, so I used yoghurt.  It's still very rich.  I love it.   :wub:

prasantrin, thanks so much for for pointing out this recipe. I made the cake yesterday to take to work as a goodbye treat, and it disappeared faster than the huge tray of gorgeous brownies I also made :smile: It is, indeed a very delicious cake. I used a bit more lemon juice than stated in the recipe, and for the zest, I used the technique I learned from Dorie Greenspan's book to rub citruszest into the sugar to release the fragrancy. I also used joghurt instead of sour cream.

I want to try it with lime or orange, too.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Apple tart from this recipe. Lesson learned from this tart: don't add six times more water to the pastry than the recipe calls for, then add more flour to try and save it, and then over-knead it. Not good.

gallery_22182_2693_464.jpg

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Zingerman's Buenos Aries brownies.  They came out great!!

gallery_25969_665_493083.jpg

Are those caramel chocolate brownies? They look great! Were they from a mix from Zingerman's, or from a recipe?

Off to search the web--but is it "Buenos Aries" or "Buenos Aires"?

ETA: I did a search on "Buenos aires brownies", and what should I find? Your blog! What a great idea--swirling in dulce de leche. That's so much easier than doing the caramel thing! I've got a can of dulce de leche waiting to be used, so this is going on my list of projects!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Zingerman's Buenos Aries brownies.  They came out great!!

gallery_25969_665_493083.jpg

Are those caramel chocolate brownies? They look great! Were they from a mix from Zingerman's, or from a recipe?

Off to search the web--but is it "Buenos Aries" or "Buenos Aires"?

ETA: I did a search on "Buenos aires brownies", and what should I find? Your blog! What a great idea--swirling in dulce de leche. That's so much easier than doing the caramel thing! I've got a can of dulce de leche waiting to be used, so this is going on my list of projects!

I'm glad you found the recipe. Its not a mix as you read. They're sold at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor and I think they might be 3 dollars each? ( of course they're bigger and thicker). Their standard brownie is the magic brownie and the Buenos Aires brownie is a variation. I used a 9.00 jar of Dulce that I bought at Zingerman's last year and was set to expire. Next time, I'll use the PC Dulce. Kerry Beal gave me the unsweetened chocolate and I truly believe this is why they were so good. Any brownie I've ever made before used the baker's choc. from the grocery store.

I made some pistachio butter cookies today - tossed half with confectioners' sugar and gave the other half a white chocolate drizzle and a sprinkling of chopped pistachios.

gallery_51259_4126_47522.jpg

For those of you who were following the cajeta topic, I was going to be making the dessert for an Argentinian fundraiser dinner. The dinner was cancelled but my creation had to be made! The original idea was a chinese soup spoon with cajeta soup, with the tip of the spoon dipped in chocolate and then a bit of Murray River salt. Next to it was this creation. Its a cajeta and 75% chocolate ganache ball with lemon zest, fried, served on chocolate soil (think slightly salty, very cocoa-ey). I wanted to serve the ganache ball in an inverted glass filled with lemon smoke, but I couldn't get it to smell like lemon...and that would have been a bit over the top anyway. So the chef who was going to make the meal had my spouse and I over and I brought dessert.

gallery_41282_4652_12508.jpg

Ummm...it's the lighting...ya, that's it...it's the lighting... :raz:

I think it still looks pretty good. I'd eat it!

I made cranberry banana bran muffins, and some korova cookie dough with chocolate-coated orange and/or lemon rind. I'm supposed to make another batch of plain korova cookies (I never add the chopped chocolate), but I'm waiting for my butter to soften (I used the butter intended for the plain korovas for the muffins--priorities, doncha know!).

I will bake the cookies sometime soon. Perhaps I'll bake a few tonight, then freeze the remaining dough for future cookie cravings. I ate a muffin fresh out of the oven with some butter. Mmmmmm...

eta picture--the yellowish stuff in the middle is melted butter, and red stuff are dried cranberries. Sorry for the bad lighting.

gallery_11355_5288_44849.jpg

Edited by prasantrin (log)