• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

gallery_34671_3697_10569.jpg

Fresh Ginger Cake - recipe by David Lebovitz. I couldn't find the cloves in my disorganized spice rack, so I added a touch of clove oil, meanwhile forgot to add the black pepper. But it smells awesome. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see how they like it.

David suggests serving it with lemon curd lightened with whipped cream.

. . .

David suggests serving it with lemon curd lightened with whipped cream.

That looks so good and the idea of ginger cake with lemon curd is awesome!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sif - One year??? One year???????? I am banging my head against the keyboard as I type! Beautiful. I am so very, very impressed and jealous!

Mark - gorgeous pie and great photograghy! If eGullet had a brick and mortar institute, we would have the best photography school anywhere!

I made Randi's brownies:

gallery_34972_3570_324311.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_97623.jpg

We were blown away by these! The flavor was deep and rich and fantastic. I saw Randi's post yesterday morning at the crack of dawn and decided that I was making them. The only store in Richmond that I know of that sells Callebaut is closed on Sunday, so I used Valrhona. They were more a fudge cake than brownie, to me. They took about 50 minutes instead of 30 for me and when I saw them puff up on top, I thought I'd done something wrong, but looking closely at Randi's picture, I think hers do the same thing. I can wholeheartedly recommend this recipe. It was truly amazing!

Kim

I made Randi's brownies:

We were blown away by these!  The flavor was deep and rich and fantastic.  I saw Randi's post yesterday morning at the crack of dawn and decided that I was making them.  The only store in Richmond that I know of that sells Callebaut is closed on Sunday, so I used Valrhona.  They were more a fudge cake than brownie, to me.  They took about 50 minutes instead of 30 for me and when I saw them puff up on top,  I thought I'd done something wrong, but looking closely at Randi's picture, I think hers do the same thing.  I can wholeheartedly recommend this recipe.  It was truly amazing!

Kim

I think thats why I liked them so much. I love cake, don't love brownies. I think whipped the eggs with the sugar plus the levener made them crack on top. Mine did too, btw. They were yummy.

2049504593_9e11dc0506.jpg

Carrot cake! With pineapple! And cream cheese icing! I packed all the pieces except this one up, and am going to take it to school with a bunch of containers to give to everyone I know so that I don't eat it all :raz:

Kate

gallery_42527_5326_161158.png

Coffee and Chocolate Cupcakes-the cupcakes are just regular cupcakes (the Magnolia Bakery recipe) filled with chocolate ganache, soaked with coffee syrup and decorated with both coffee swiss meringue buttercream and chocolate ganache. Very yummy and very caffeinated. I was going to add a marbled chocolate covered espresso bean on top of each, but I ran out. :sad:

gallery_42527_5326_50015.png

For the work treat this week I made the Crunchy Milk Chocolate–Peanut Butter Layer Cake from Nancy Olson (Via Food and Wine)

gallery_51259_4126_49823.jpg

This was quite a moist and decadent cake with three layers of milk chocolate ganache! They were quite surprised with how much they loved the crunchy meringue/peanut/peanut butter/chocolate/Rice Krispie layer inside!

gallery_51259_4126_98621.jpg

For the work treat this week I made the Crunchy Milk Chocolate–Peanut Butter Layer Cake from Nancy Olson (Via Food and Wine)

gallery_51259_4126_49823.jpg

That looks delicious! Do you think it would work with dark chocolate (~60%) instead of milk?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

That looks fantastic, even more alluring than the photo in Food & Wine.

I have to ask though, did you make the recipe as written, and was it too sweet? The recipe above calls for 2 cups + 2 tbs sugar in the cake alone!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

For Thanksgiving.

A cranberry-apple pie. Recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. The pie dough is their dough that uses vodka. first time I have ever made this pie or used this dough. The dough was easy to work. Just used plenty of flour to roll it out. We'll see how it tastes. For now, while the pie cools, I will simply post pics of the the whole pie. After we dig into it later in the day, I'll take pics of a slice and come back and post it.

gallery_31660_5405_37118.jpg

gallery_31660_5405_54068.jpg

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

That looks fantastic, even more alluring than the photo in Food & Wine.

I have to ask though, did you make the recipe as written, and was it too sweet? The recipe above calls for 2 cups + 2 tbs sugar in the cake alone!

I'm curious too, since I plan on making it for Robin's bday.

I'm curious too, since I plan on making it for Robin's bday.

I'm leaning toward using the PH cocoa cake and a bittersweet ganache in place of the written recipe. That should offset the sweetness of the dacquoise/peanut butter filling.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

That looks delicious! Do you think it would work with dark chocolate (~60%) instead of milk?

I prefer dark chocolate, but in this cake I quite liked the milky sweetness paired against the rich cake.

I didn't find it cloyingly sweet and from what I heard, the people who enjoyed it agreed. The saltiness from the chopped nuts and peanut butter did help to cut the sweetness, but yes, it was still quite sweet.

gallery_53467_5170_15379.jpg

Top to bottom...

Chocolate-Morello Cherry Mousse

Flourless Chocolate Biscuit

Morello Cherry Mousse

...sides sprayed with chocolate, topped with dejaq's dark mirror glaze from the demo, decorated with my first ever (so don't be too hard on me) attempt at sugar work. Caramelized dried cherries, sugar coil and spun sugar.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Top to bottom...

Morello Cherry Mousse

...sides sprayed with chocolate, topped with dejaq's dark mirror glaze from the demo, decorated with my first ever (so don't be too hard on me) attempt at sugar work. Caramelized dried cherries, sugar coil and spun sugar.

It looks fantastic! I love chocolate and cherries. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Rob, I wish I had a bunch of cool sounding technical info to share but the truth is I just boiled 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of water until I got the color I wanted, dipped the bottom of the pan in cold water and went to work with it. For the cherries, I speared dried Bing cherries with bamboo skewers bent into an L-shape, dipped them and stuck the skewers under a heavy pan at the edge of a table and let them drip onto paper on the floor. I used the same pot of sugar for everything. I just let it cool until I could pull a strand from it and wrapped that around the metal handle of a whisk to make the coil. I wasn't as happy with the spun sugar, got some drops in there with the strands, but I was just using a regular dinner fork to throw the sugar between 2 wooden spoons.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Top to bottom...

Morello Cherry Mousse

You are just kidding me! That's gorgeous, Tri2Cook. And by the way, that's not tri-ing, that's pretty much do-ing! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It's how I spent my b'day, cooking for somebody else. The cake was for a catering job I had on friday. I had some backup decorations made in case I couldn't get results I could live with using the sugar. I know... experimenting with something new on a customer's dime isn't nice but it's the vision I had for the cake so I had to at least try. I really enjoyed playing with the sugar, enough so that I ordered Notter's book and a few tools today. I'm not sure how far I'll get without a class but I'm going to give it a shot.

Top to bottom...

Morello Cherry Mousse

Gorgeous! Color me green with envy.