• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

gallery_53129_4592_19779.jpg

Red Velvet Cake for a friend's sister's birthday, who loves red and hearts. Used a lot of the eG forums for reference-- this is Jaymes' recipe for red velvet cake, and I looked up an old thread about putting flowers on wedding cakes.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Tri2Cook - that glaze is awesome! So shiny and.....glazey :rolleyes: !

Mark - that lemon cake looks so good! Is the frosting whipped cream or what? And the red velvet is beautiful. Howja do the little hearts?

lexy - I, too, love banana bread and can find all reasons to make it. I secretly love it when the bananas in the bowl are overripe and I can throw them in the freezer for banana bread! I always add chocolate chips to mine, but next time I will use chocolate chunks and top with cinnamon sugar! Thanks!

Hosinmigs - I'm with you. I am so envious of the skill that so many here at egullet show in photography. I think that I am going to have to bite the bullet and invest in an SLR digital camera, some classes and Photoshop :wacko: !

Latest effort was three of these:

gallery_34972_3570_445897.jpg

That's caramel apple pie. All that oozy goo is from a streusel topping that you put on before the top crust:

gallery_34972_3570_9584.jpg

Slice:

gallery_34972_3570_878823.jpg

Kim

Thanks, Kim! The frosting for the lemon cake is 7-minute frosting. I dream of the day I can whip cream to such stiff peaks. The hearts are candy sprinkles, probably designed for cupcakes (sold to me repacked for a measly $1, which is probably frowned upon by the wholesaler, but it's kind of clever):

gallery_53129_4592_3181.jpg

it's "cheating," but so risk-free and much, much easier than using red frosting and a heart decorating tip. And it's cute!

That's the first time I've heard of streusel inside a top crust. So decadent and over-the-top, I love it. (I've never had a caramel apple pie.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

That's caramel apple pie.  All that oozy goo is from a streusel topping that you put on before the top crust:

And where's the recipe for that pie?????? :hmmm:

That's a fine looking pie, and I really need some!! :wub:

Ditto. Recipe please!

I just stocked up on apples at the local apple festival and need to make a pie. :wink:

Thank you!

Quentina

That's caramel apple pie.  All that oozy goo is from a streusel topping that you put on before the top crust:

And where's the recipe for that pie?????? :hmmm:

That's a fine looking pie, and I really need some!! :wub:

Ditto. Recipe please!

I just stocked up on apples at the local apple festival and need to make a pie. :wink:

Thank you!

Here you go: clickety!

Kim

I wasn't very happy with the way this turned out, because my original plan was to cover the sides with chocolate panels to make it look like a box of figs. I ran out of time and so just jammed the leaves in instead. It was well received though, and I know it tasted good, as I devoured the scraps. (The layers are Alice Medrich's walnut squares from Cocolat)

gallery_8512_4054_150059.jpg

chocolate walnut torte brushed with nocino

filled with fig preserves and nocino ganache

surrounded with belgian chocolate leaves

crowned with figs drenched in nocino, stuffed with ganache, & dipped in chocolate

nestled in chocolate cups

Kim

Thanks! Looking at the recipe, did you find it too sweet at all? I'm wondering if I should cut down on the sugar in the pie--maybe 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup. Normally, I'd think it would be OK, but the sugar in the streusel topping plus in the chocolate-covered toffee bars might put it over the top for me.

Kim

Thanks! Looking at the recipe, did you find it too sweet at all? I'm wondering if I should cut down on the sugar in the pie--maybe 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup. Normally, I'd think it would be OK, but the sugar in the streusel topping plus in the chocolate-covered toffee bars might put it over the top for me.

It might be too sweet for you. I have a very immature sweet tooth - it developed backwards for me - as a kid, I was not a candy fiend, preferring salty snacks above all others. As a middle aged person, I've discovered a strong urge for sweet stuff in myself. Odd, no? I would cut back on the sugar for yourself, seeing as how you seem to be normal (unlike me :biggrin: ). Also, I usually just use the broken toffee bits, not the chocolate covered bars.

Kim

Funnily enough, we're on sorbet mode at the moment. It's funny, as it's really cold up here in Estonia already - we've had night frosts for a week or so now. In any case we made a sea buckthorn sorbet last weekend (with sea buckthorn berries from my grandma's garden):

gallery_43137_2974_31062.jpg

and then there was this orange sorbet few days earlier:

gallery_43137_2974_105056.jpg

gallery_34671_3697_21726.jpg

I got a fabulous recipe from the mother a a friend up north. I'm a bit confused as to the name of the cake - she is french and I believe she called it "Boiurrote aux Pommes" (or Poires if you prefer) although on looking up 'boiurrote' on-line and in cookbooks I can't find the name.

It is a fabulous apple cake (I loved it even more with pears) improved only with a drizzle of heavy cream and a bit of raspberry preserves.

Last night I got home at 4:45 and somehow managed to bake RLB's Maple Walnut Tart in time for a 6:00 dinner benefiting our local food bank. That's including blind-baking the crust! Thank goodness it was freezing out so it was cool enough to eat by the time I walked it down there. Never got to take its picture.

I am a pecan pie lover and consider it essential to Thanksgiving dinner, but the Thanksgiving pecan pie has now been usurped by this Maple Walnut Tart. Maybe it's the PMS talking, but I thought this was one of the best things ever. I'm not alone, either--it disappeared off the dessert table before anything else even got touched.

"Rose" cake with apples and ground almonds.

gallery_56890_5295_62491.jpg

gallery_56890_5295_60644.jpg

That's just lovely!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I got a fabulous recipe from the mother a a friend up north.  I'm a bit confused as to the name of the cake - she is french and I believe she called it "Boiurrote aux Pommes" (or Poires if you prefer) although on looking up 'boiurrote' on-line and in cookbooks I can't find the name.

It is a fabulous apple cake (I loved it even more with pears) improved only with a drizzle of heavy cream and a bit of raspberry preserves.

Looks good... any chance it's not a secret recipe? :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I got a fabulous recipe from the mother a a friend up north.  I'm a bit confused as to the name of the cake - she is french and I believe she called it "Boiurrote aux Pommes" (or Poires if you prefer) although on looking up 'boiurrote' on-line and in cookbooks I can't find the name.

Looks good... any chance it's not a secret recipe? :biggrin:

Not comfortable putting it online, but PM me your regular e-mail address and I'll send via mastercook.

I was running short on time this evening, and wanted biscuits, an whipped up a batch using bisquik. They got a kick out of the fact that I cut them out using a pumpkin cookie cutter because I couldn't find my round one.

Yeah, I know, it's bisquik, but my kids loved them and it's still better than the "whack a biscuits".

For some reason, baking biscuits from scratch intimidates me.

Edited by MomOfLittleFoodies (log)

Cheryl

I think I made a dessert overkill, but when get started with the piping bag I really can't stop again. And I love the lambeth style. So this is dessert tonight, and it's vegan too. Chocolate cake with mocha buttercream. And rolled fondant, royal icing and gumpaste flower.

I can't wait... and I accidentally posted it twice in ImageGullet. Oops.

gallery_56283_5302_86648.jpg

We finally opened our very last wedding present, well we unwrapped it over six years ago. :rolleyes:

Today we made our fisrt batch of icecream, triple chocolate. It has cocoa powder, melted semi-sweet chocolate, and white chocolate shards. I just dug around the web and used a recipe that we had all the ingrediants for on hand...

gallery_23695_426_250566.jpg

:wub:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I wasn't very happy with the way this turned out, because my original plan was to cover the sides with chocolate panels to make it look like a box of figs.  I ran out of time and so just jammed the leaves in instead.  It was well received though, and I know it tasted good, as I devoured the scraps.  (The layers are Alice Medrich's walnut squares from Cocolat)

gallery_8512_4054_150059.jpg

chocolate walnut torte brushed with nocino

filled with fig preserves and nocino ganache

surrounded with belgian chocolate leaves

crowned with figs drenched in nocino, stuffed with ganache, & dipped in chocolate

nestled in chocolate cups

I wish my disappointing desserts looked half this good! Truly a work of art and I'm sure it tasted even better than it looks.