• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Sallow ?

liuzhou

I found this herb this morning in a local supermarket. In Chinese, it is 香柳 (xiāng liǔ), which can be translated as 'sweet sallow'.

Screenshot_20240203_104324_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_389047299725531.thumb.jpg.8d1e890ebdd33f6ea6ea731b022f1ef7.jpg

I vaguely remember hearing the name and know it's related to willow*. But that's it.

I'm not getting much on the internet despite searching in both Chinese and English. 

Does anyone know anything about this herb? Or has anyone used it?

I have tasted it, of course. An initial sweetness is soon followed by a pleasant pepperiness. The leaves are about 5 - 7 cm / 2 - 2.75 inches long.

* The second character in the herb's

name (柳) is the same as the first in Liuzhou (柳州), where I live. The city's name means Willow Prefecture.

IMG_20240203_115649.thumb.jpg.e2bee5edf57791f5617ba5e5f184e0ae.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto