• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Afterburner

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

5,782 posts in this topic

Inspired by the "What's for Dinner?" and "Breakfast -- The most important meal of the day" threads in the "Cooking" forum, I ask you...

What are you cooking for dessert for yourself?

I just pulled a strawberry/blackberry crisp out of the oven. Cinnamon, brown sugar, and St. Brendan's Irish Creme was mixed in with the fruit. The crisp topping contains a buncha butter, brown sugar, toasted coconut flakes, flour, and rolled oats.

Smells amazing. I'm about to go try it now that's it's cooled down a bit.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

I have a YuengLing Lager for dessert.

Hey Ling! we have something in common.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Last night I had the last little bit of irish cream ice cream from the depths of the freezer.

Maybe these two threads should merge?

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Tapioca pudding with mandarin oranges, almond and vanilla extracts.........comfort food.

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

It's the height of summer over here and sometimes my eyes get too big for my stomach and I buy way more fruit than I can eat, simply because it looks so gorgeous and it's all so cheap. So what I haven't been able to eat, I've been making into sorbet and serving after dinner. So far, I've done:

Lemon

Lemon/Lime

Grape

Passionfruit

Kiwi

Watermelon

Oddly enough, the pineapples this year are very so-so, when it's good, it's sublime but this year seems rather bad.

PS: I am a guy.

Sugar free everything jello, Healthy Choice fudgsicles, homemade choc chips w/unsweetened choc & aspartame, sugar free choc candy -

Hey, knock me over with a feather this stuff is really good! And and and I got the wedding of my only daughter coming up in May so...I'm motivated too. She wants me and her daddy walking her down the aisle.

Hey - our complexions are crystal clear, the scales are not groaning under my feet :rolleyes: I've already lost like all the holiday pounds plus 5-6 more :biggrin: - Have a ways to go... ahum :laugh:

But my desserts are great - who knew?

(But going forward I'm still gonna do those cookies, Afterburner!)

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Vanilla Haagen Dazs with chocolate sauce and a splash (or 2 or 3) of Bailey's.

dexygus

I have a YuengLing Lager for dessert.

Hey Ling! we have something in common.

You know what's weird? My Chinese name is "YuenLing" so I did a double take the first time I heard about YuengLing lager. :laugh:

Tonight my dessert will be sugar nut pie with coconut ice (at a restaurant).

I just took the cranberry almond tart from the Williams Sonoma Pies and Tarts book out of the oven.

I used it as an excuse to buy a tart pan with a removable bottom, which worked quite nicely. I was a little worried about that. And I realized that I still suck at rolling out dough.

Man, oh man.....I eat dessert all day......gotta make sure my stuff at work is good y'know....ahem....quality control and all that <cough>.

So by the time din-din rolls around, my dessert is usually a glass o'wine......or two.... :laugh:

That's funny, because I was going to say "A small piece of chocolate cake served with 10 ounces of vodka." :raz:

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

tonight will be brownies that have just come out of the oven. There's potential here for a brownie sundae.

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Normally nothing (not a huge dessert fan), and would stick to cheese or something simple and fruit-based if at a restaurant. However, it'll be a Nestlé fudge Drumstick tonight. I need the freezer space.

Haha, why does this thread remind my all those incarnations of Law and Order and CSI?

ahh, the spin off...

Actually, it's great because I always have dessert. Heck, sometimes I have more dessert than dinner.

Tonight it will be some more of Herme's deep chocolate cream.

I think this will be the last of it, simply because it is very rich and (gasp) I am not a huge fan of chocolate on its own.

Actually, I ended up having 2 desserts tonight. (Had to make up for yesterday's cheese dessert, right? :raz: )

The nut sugar pie with coconut ice was good, and I had most of my mom's whiskey and dark chocolate pot au creme.

Then I went out for coffee and ate a slice of chocolate cake (4 layers with chocolate ganache, raspberry sauce, and whipped cream.)

OK I'm full. :shock:

Ha, you can kinda tell the people who do this more for a living. If they even have dessert it is accompanied with a fair amount or alcohol. Skrew the irish, the real partiers are the late night cooks.

A girl named YuenLing, you gotta be kiddin me. You'd be one hell of a trophy wife for an irishman like meself. I garuntee you there will always be something to talk about.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Since the cooking section has a long ongoing thread 'Dinner! What did we cook?' I thought it would be interesting to have one for the bakers too. Do you think we can catch up with the 'Dinner' thread? :raz::wink: Pictures are welcome too. :biggrin:

Since the cooking section has a long ongoing thread 'Dinner! What did we cook?' I thought it would be interesting to have one for the bakers too. Do you think we can catch up with the 'Dinner' thread? :raz::wink: Pictures are welcome too. :biggrin:

I made my first sourdough bread today. I was inspired by the number of threads here related to sourdough baking. The loaf came out very well. It's a little on the denser side as I haven't quite figured out the 'big bubbles' technique yet. Nevertheless, it makes a great sandwich bread and is tasty enough to be eaten out of hand. I'm very satisfied and I'm looking forward to trying some variations in technique and recipe. Thanks to everybody here for the great information.

I made the soda bread that was discussed in a recent thread and is posted in RecipeGullet. Added raisins and walnuts to my version. I've been nibbling on that pretty much all day and will probably have another slice before bed.:laugh:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Inspired by Chefette's demo on pastillage, I made up a batch and experimented with it by trying to make the top of a carousel. It's drying now.

I'm so excited...it's been weeks since I've had the time to bake ANYTHING. A few parties are coming up that will remedy that. We made a last minute decision to go to an end-of-summer BBQ tonight at a friend's and I just finished making up a double batch of Pierre Herme's Tarte Grenobloise (discussed here). People can't resist it and a double batch yields 48 slices.

I took some puff pastry out of the freezer, walked up the street, and picked a lot of little yellow plums (they've got more pit than flesh, so I might need another trip up the street!)

I'm going to cook the plums down and make a free-form galette.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I'm eating cake-leveling scraps from my first ever wedding cake, a 3-tiered white cake with vanilla buttercream which I made for a coworker.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh