• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

• 2 weeks later...
Zapp's cajun crawtators.....

Hm, I had forgotten about Zapps. We can only get them here occasionally. I've tried as many flavors as I can get my hands on and they're all good.

you can mail order them from zapps and they aren't that ridiculously priced if you buy the largest case they have

I had a brief flirtation with Lay's Dill Pickle chips, but I think I overdid it. I'm back to my old standards:

Salt and Vinegar (any brand, really)

Terra Chips (on special occasions, as they are pricey)

Kettle Chips Aged Cheddar and Herbs

Lays Sour Cream and Onion (for those time when I'm feeling nostalgic for my youth)

But really, I'll eat almost any chip. I can hardly keep them in the house, I love them so much. Especially Kettle Chips....yum.

I mistakenly bought baked 'Kettle Krisps' rather than 'Kettle Chips' at the store a week ago. I have never met a baked chip I liked until I had these. What I like most about them is that you get a really substantial potato flavor with no greasiness but there is just enough oil (sprayed on after baking apparently) so that the salt sticks. I haven't tried any of their flavors because I am partial to having only salt on my potato chips.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Wasn't there a steak flavored chip?  I remember it from about 10 years ago, maybe more.  No idea who made it, but it was GOOD. 

Damn straight it was good. The company's name was Snyder of Berlin (not related to Snyder's of Hanover who makes all the pretzel snacks).

Here is a review of their infamous Steak & Onion potato chips. They were incredible chips. They definitely had a steak-ish grilled flavor and were very salty, too, but tasty nonetheless.

Unfortunately, they stopped stocking them in local grocery stores a while ago. A friend cursed my name everytime I saw him since I had gotten him addicted to the chips and then he couldn't find them anywhere.

I finally found the company on the internet. They are now a subsidiary of Birds Eye Foods. The bad news is that they no longer seem to make the Steak & Onion chips. :shock:

Here's their current web site

I wonder if the mesquite flavor chips taste similar...

Edited to add: Another brand I like is Trader Joe's Salt & Vinegar chips

2nd Edit: I found the Steak & Onion chips! Funny that they don't list them in their regular products. You have to go to the second link posted above and click on "Catalog" on the left side. It's the 4th item listed. Whoo-hoo! :biggrin:

3rd Edit: Turns out that Snyder's of Hanover DID make a Steak & Onion potato chip, too. However, it doesn't seem to be listed on their web site so perhaps they don't make them anymore. It is listed in their chip flavors but is NOT listed in their "store" items. The right hand is not talking to the left hand here....

This is more info about potato chips than I ever wanted to know!

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lays has a guacamole flavored chip that I have only seen down at the beach in NJ, not in central NJ where I live. Strong Cilantro flavor. I like them, but no one else in my family does, and I can't afford the calories to keep them around and eat them all! :rolleyes:

3rd Edit:  Turns out that Snyder's of Hanover DID make a Steak & Onion potato chip, too.  However, it doesn't seem to be listed on their web site so perhaps they don't make them anymore.  It is listed in their chip flavors but is NOT listed in their "store" items.

Snyder's of Hanover used to make all kinds of meat flavored potato chips. Buffalo Wing, Steak and Onion, Coney Island Hot Dog.... seems to me there were several others. One time many years ago we called the snack machine vendor at an old job I had, and requested more meat-flavored potato chips in the machine. They complied, and we were happy.

Well, I'm a purist, so my favorite are Ruffles, then Lay's or something similar. I've found that the gourmet kettle-cooked kind are too thick for my tastes. I don't like having to chew so much to eat my potato chips. The one exception are Kettle Chips Krinkle Cut Salt and Pepper chips. I'd never had pepper on my potato chips before and was amazed at how well it brought out the potato flavor.

Every so often I also get a craving for salt and vinegar.

Any other such weirdos out there?

Good grainy mustard with a hint of sweetness is TERRIFIC on french fries. My old girlfriend says that she has a flavor she calls "jared" (me) from all of the mustard I cook with.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Never a potato chip eater so don't know whether this should get its own thread, but one item on the grocery wire this morning is that Frito-Lay is rolling out their own version of Pringles. Called Stax. It's been in the works for a while but there were legal issues to work out. Four unidentified flavours to start. Hitting stores in Sept.

One more time,

SALT AND LIME!!!

Lime's the winner-gar

Better than vinegar.

:raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Snyder's of Hanover used to make all kinds of meat flavored potato chips.  Buffalo Wing, Steak and Onion, Coney Island Hot Dog.... seems to me there were several others.  One time many years ago we called the snack machine vendor at an old job I had, and requested more meat-flavored potato chips in the machine.  They complied, and we were happy.

Mmmm...meat flavored potato chips. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Zapp's Cajun Crawtators are great... Salt and Vinegar in general are my favorite flavor... I've also really enjoyed some of the Lay's Bistro Gourmet chips... applewood flavor i believe, but the flavors seem to become too much after eating a few.... guess that's a good thing... stops you from eating too many

i dont like the lactic acid flavor (except when i excercise) so i prefer plain Utz chips to a manufactured 'salt & vinegar' chip.

anyone in the mid atlantic who has a car and a free weekend and likes fresh chips can drive to Hanover PA and get warm Utz'.

otherwise, make your own.

I walked by a Charles' Chips can a few weeks ago on the street.  I tried to explain whjat they were to my friends, but they thought I was insane.

gee, youre so old school.

i like to see the 'retro' charles chips cans in the pottery barn catalogs for sale for like $20 for the two-cup size. lame.

maybe you can help the rest of us understand.

Edited by dave88 (log)