• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

I am in raptures!

About two or more years ago this flavour disappeared from all my local stores and I thought the company had stoppped making them, but they appeared in the supermarket this morning. My favourite potato crisps (I refuse to call them 'chips' - ridiculous name).

They are made by this Philippine company and sold all over Asia. These are the super-rare and exotic POTATO flavour!

676071971_oishiplain.thumb.jpg.133034ee18abf1b2c8b978c8d18fbe05.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 2:32 AM, FauxPas said:

I hadn't seen these before and was going to throw some in the cart when I noticed they were $3.69 per bag. And not exactly a huge bag either.  🙂

Still, I'd like to try them. They only had a few bags left on that shelf, does that mean they are really popular? 

Ingredients included "spices, sugar, onion powder, mango powder, garlic powder, tomato powder and paprika extract". 

PXL_20210807_230641799.thumb.jpg.573fb759fc20b09988b596d3d1e50404.jpg

When we lived in India, this was one of the more common flavors available. Along with 'American Style' which was essentially Sour Cream & Onion as far as I could tell.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite sure we must have discussed ketchup-flavoured potato chips at some point. These arrived in my grocery order today as complimentary.

They are initially ketchup flavored, but there is a weird aftertaste, and apparently there is no longer any attempt to persuade me that these actually came from a potato.  Or that they should be dipped into anything.

93AF6CBA-BDE4-486C-9386-826BFBE98EBD.thumb.jpeg.6c91ca5524c53e15b8407928e3e26bd9.jpeg

2E07951A-337D-4AED-A3CB-435AE42A5E3D.thumb.jpeg.5cf2c4fc74d81417d7b867ada55d7b5c.jpeg

9ABBB3AD-8616-451C-B5D4-BA17A1F5D766.thumb.jpeg.6873997f443dcfd5436b1dff3ec38242.jpeg

Ballpen for scale. 

Having said that, like all junk food it’s hard to eat just one! I have no shame. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I saw Lay's "Tomato & Chicken" flavoured chips yesterday. No amount of curiosity as to what on earth they could taste like, could convince me to buy them.

I bet it tastes like Mexican rice.   Knorr makes a Caldo de Tomate con Sabor de Pollo bouillon powder.   It's the "secret" ingredient to a lot of Mexican rice recipes.   It's called "con" for short, ie my style uses a tblsp of "con" in it.

It's a really good flavor enhancer.  You might like it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I bet it tastes like Mexican rice.   Knorr makes a Caldo de Tomate con Sabor de Pollo bouillon powder.   It's the "secret" ingredient to a lot of Mexican rice recipes.   It's called "con" for short, ie my style uses a tblsp of "con" in it.

It's a really good flavor enhancer.  You might like it.

You make a very good point. If the name or the packaging had skewed Mexican, my mind might have gone in a different direction than KFC with ketchup on it!

23 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

If the name or the packaging had skewed Mexican, my mind might have gone in a different direction than KFC with ketchup on it!

Lays do do a Mexican Tomato and Chicken chip, at least here in China. See top left.

lays2.jpg.f80169277b355ea57cbed9382ce66d83.thumb.jpg.74ade670863f9228823404428246e55c.jpg

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 year later...

Stopped by an Asian Supermarket near my office and quite a variety of flavored potato chips. For around $2 you can try some unique flavors!

chip aisle.jpg

tongue chips.jpg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Chicken isn't a particularly unusual flavor but this package of Bluebird brand chips featuring a cute little penguin embracing a cooked chicken drumstick is interesting. 

EB051C25-4F9F-41EF-8CBD-5C9528697C57.thumb.jpeg.96a4886f1df0d3344bdf6edbdfa17bcf.jpeg

Kind of a triple bird snack!  Bluebird is a New Zealand brand and this photo was sent to me by a friend visiting there.  They feature the penguin on most of their branded products but the chicken leg is most disturbing image to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Chicken isn't a particularly unusual flavor but this package of Bluebird brand chips featuring a cute little penguin embracing a cooked chicken drumstick is interesting. 

EB051C25-4F9F-41EF-8CBD-5C9528697C57.thumb.jpeg.96a4886f1df0d3344bdf6edbdfa17bcf.jpeg

Kind of a triple bird snack!  Bluebird is a New Zealand brand and this photo was sent to me by a friend visiting there.  They feature the penguin on most of their branded products but the chicken leg is most disturbing image to me!

It's almost....cannibalism......

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2023 at 1:19 PM, BeeZee said:

Stopped by an Asian Supermarket near my office and quite a variety of flavored potato chips. For around $2 you can try some unique flavors!

chip aisle.jpg

tongue chips.jpg

I'm having a hard time imagining what those would taste like...

• Like 1