• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Potatoes

20 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Sorry about the hands.  I know whereof you speak.

Seeing as we are both Canadians and shopping at basically the same stores, could  you please tell me of at least one acceptable brand of boxed potato that I can have Ed buy for us.  And where in the store might Ed find such an item?  Thanks in advance.  And please.

I'm not really brand-loyal, so I'll use whatever's cheap on the day, but both Betty Crocker and Idahoan are available at Superstore and Sobeys IIRC. I've probably used both stores' store brands as well, though I can't guarantee it. They should be in the same aisle as other side dishes, but SS and Sobeys lay out their stores differently so I can't narrow it down more closely than that. I'll be in one and possibly both, later this afternoon, so I'll take a look specifically for the spudflakes* and report back.

(*Another oddball use I hadn't mentioned is faux snow around Christmas decor, not recommended in humid climates)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 1/22/2024 at 4:32 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

I have a white bread recipe that uses them. It makes it fantastic soft sandwich bread.

Sorry I missed this. Do you have a recipe for this bread?

29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Sorry I missed this. Do you have a recipe for this bread?

Sure do.

White, Potato Sandwich Bread

Yield: One Loaf

3 cups bread flour

3 tablespoons granulated sugar 

1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes 

1 teaspoon salt 

2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

6 tablespoons soft butter

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup warm milk 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, salt, instant potatoes, yeast, and sugar. Using the dough hook attachment, mix until the flour is completely aerated. Add the softened butter and mix until the butter is the size of crumbs.

Stir in warm water and milk,. You may not need all of the milk mixture. Add only until you have a soft, not sticky dough. Run the mixer on low (I use #2 on my Kitchen Aid) until a dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes, rest for 10 minutes and knead for 10 minutes longer. Remove from the mixing bowl and shape into a ball with a firm top surface. Place it on a cutting board or the surface of your counter and cover with a large bowl.

Let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, 1 to  2 hours

Gently deflate the dough and shape into a flat 9” wide rectangle, fold in sides about 1/2 inch and roll up into a log, pressing together as you roll. Spray an 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and place dough into it seam side down. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place loosely over the loaf pan. Allow the bread to rise in a draft free spot for about an hour or until it has a 1 1/4 inch crest over the rim of the pan. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 15 minutes, then place a loose tent of aluminum foil over the top and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Internal temperature should measure at 190° on a quick read thermometer. Remove from oven, loosen all around the edges and turn bread out to a rack to cool completely. If desired, brush top of bread with butter for a soft crust. Allow to cool completely before slicing and once cool, place into a plastic bag to keep fresh.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Darienne said:

Sorry about the hands.  I know whereof you speak.

Seeing as we are both Canadians and shopping at basically the same stores, could  you please tell me of at least one acceptable brand of boxed potato that I can have Ed buy for us.  And where in the store might Ed find such an item?  Thanks in advance.  And please.

Okay, I looked in both stores today and they are definitely in the "side dishes" aisle in each case, though the rest of the aisle varies from one to the other. You can tell Ed to look for them sandwiched in between the Kraft Dinner, Hamburger Helper, etc. (at around eye height, too!). Here's how it looks at my local Sobeys: 

20240124_152047.thumb.jpg.6d8a2db861674f3714d3f74608432ad4.jpg

The brown bag barely visible at bottom/right/center is the Idahoan brand (clearly BC swings more weight in the bribery "shelf placement subsidy" sweepstakes).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I concur - with all the "easy side dishes" such as scalloped potato mix, and in my case, the instant rice/noodle side dishes, etc. Tell Ed to ask a middle-aged woman - males constantly ask me where things are although I am obviously not staff - I think they just figure - "she looks like she's been around the block a time or two!" Also, I am relatively tall - about 5'9" so I am sometimes asked to reach things on the high shelves.

• Like 3