• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

Zapps, Zapps, Zapps, and Zapps. Classic Lay's work in a pinch, as well as Golden Flake. But the Zapps Crawtaters are the absolute best packaged food on earth.

If you want to get some but can't find them in your local store, go to Zapps website. 20 bucks (including shipping) for 8 bags ain't too bad. They only ship to the lower 48, though... Click on the "flavors" link and read the descriptions. A real hoot.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Sure I could send you some.  You can order online by the case (9 bags) at www.artsandmarys.com if you want to check that out.  I'm in Lawrence now, but grew up in Wichita not far from the original Art and Mary's chip factory.  I'm glad someone else knows about them. 

RM

is that really good? Can i order 2 or 3 bags instead of the case?

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu

I used to get a brand years ago, but I can't remember its name.  It was in a red and white striped bag.  It may have had the state of Texas on it.

Zapp's! You can buy 'em online. (Oops, see FullaRoux beat me to it.)

I like Kettle Chips, the NY cheddar kind.

And the dark russet Cape Cods. Yum.

I also like Schlotszky's store brand -- the black pepper flavor.

Edited by Mudpuppie (log)

amanda

Googlista

Zapps, Zapps, Zapps, and Zapps.

What he said. Really. He's right. They're great chips made in an old Cheverolet Dealership on Airline Highway in LaPlace, Louisiana-The Andouille Capital of the World.

Remember-LaPlace.....It's the Place!! :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Bob's Texas Style Habanero Chips.

The heat fluctuates from bag to bag, but sometimes just one or two will make the top of my head sweat. I love 'em. Not sure where they are available -- I first had them when I moved to Houston.

I used to get a brand years ago, but I can't remember its name. It was in a red and white striped bag. It may have had the state of Texas on it.

The only flavor I got was the Jalepeno, :wub: and MAN were they perfect. Thicker than normal, spicy, salty, I can still taste them.

I doubt these are the same chips, but in the Pacific Northwest we have Tim's Cascade chips that come in a red and white striped bag. No state of Texas on it though. I like their jalapeno but I love their sea salt and vinegar.

As I looked for a link for them, I see that they are now owned by Birds Eye. Hmmm, I wonder if anything will change.

Tims Cascade Chips

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Tim's are good, especially if you like the thicker potato chips. My wife isn't a big fan because she doesn't like thing that are too thick and crunchy. She prefers a very light chip. Tim's are good stuff, though.

I'm going to commit heresy, though, and say that two of my favorite chips are the most processed, unnatural chips out there: Pringles and Doritos. As long as you keep eating them, they're quite tasty. Each does leave a little bit of an aftertaste, though. A lot of salt, a lot of MSG, not too greasy, very light and crisp with a surprising range of flavorings in each Doritos flavor. The Cheetoh is another addictive chip. I probably like the classic Nacho Cheese Dorito and plain Pringle the best.

I guess it depends on what you want out of your chip. I don't eat chips that often, but when I do, I want something that attacks my taste buds and is addictively crunchy.

Trader Joe's Hawaiian Style. These are thick chips, made from unpeeled potatoes and cooked in expeller pressed oil (same as cold pressed, right?)

I am having some right now. Yum.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

I went to college in Tucson, where Saguaro Chips are made. God how we all loved these chips! I’m going back to Tucson for a visit in March (my first visit since I graduated in 1990), and it will be interesting to see if the chips were (and still are) really all that good, or if this post belongs on the “marijuana food” thread!

If anyone's interested, I can get wholesale pricing on cases of Charles Chips (including the 1 lb. tins), Terra chips, and Tom Sturgis pretzels. My dad works for a company that has the North American distributor rights for these products. They can ship direct to your home via UPS from New Jersey. I'm not making any money from this...just thought I'd throw this out there for eGullet members who might want these products. Please PM me if you're interested. :smile:

Edited by pete ganz (log)

I second LEdlund on Tim's salt and vinegar chips here in the PNW. . . I kinda have to be in the right mood, but when I am, nothing else will do!

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

On one of Michael Chiarello's recent shows, he heated packaged chips in the oven just to warm them up. (Store-bought, that is; not chips in the package.) Anyway, after they came out he tossed them in fresh herbs.

Sounded like a neat idea.

amanda

Googlista

On one of Michael Chiarello's recent shows, he heated packaged chips in the oven just to warm them up. (Store-bought, that is; not chips in the package.) Anyway, after they came out he tossed them in fresh herbs.

Sounded like a neat idea.

i've been outed. i got my above idea from his book. it works.

Boulder Chips, made in Boulder, but actually available in most Wild Oats stores, including the one at Fairfax and Santa Monica here in LA.

Flavors: Thai, Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar, Sweet Onion.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

Nessa, Zapp's I think are also sold in a stripey bag. Bob's Texas Style Chips do have, by some coincidence, a map of Texas, or use to anyway. They have somewhat muted stripes on the bag. Both companies make a jalapeno flavor.

Poore Brothers

I know they aren't Zapps, but I think you hit the nail on the head with Bob's. Gotta find me some. No wait, that would he a disaster waiting to happen to my hips. Scratch that idea!

Thanks though :wub:

I'm a big fan of Cape Cod--not so much the flavored ones, just regular (WITH salt, thank you very much!).

Almost amazingly, my real favorites are from Dayton, Ohio (I'm from there, and god knows it's a wasteland in almost every other respect)--a brand called Mike-sells. Their Old Fashioned kettle-style chips are absolutely fantastic.

Their website claims they are the oldest potato chip company in the U.S.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Cape Cod Dark Russet's and Terra's Blue and White kettle chips are my favorites. David Rosengarten recently did a chip tasting. He particularly liked a particular chip of the month club, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Snyder's of Hanover's Steak and Onion Potato Chips :wub:

Unfortunately, I don't think they make that flavor anymore. They get you addicted to the chips and then they stop. Making. Them.

The bastards.:angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver