• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Salad

Maison Rustique

After reading about this potato chip salad at Stretch Pizza this morning, I'm obsessed with knowing more about it. Have any of you been there and had it? I'd love for someone to try it and concoct a recipe for me so I can make it. 

A note that when I was Googling it, I came across an Indian Chaat Potato Chip Salad that I might need to try, too, though it is very different from the way the Stretch salad looks.

Deb

Liberty, MO

For a while, Trader Joe's was selling a bagged salad mix that came with a packet of their dill pickle flavored potato chips and a creamy dill ranch dressing.  Those chips were pretty much like salt & vinegar chips with a bit of extra seasoning. 

It was a limited item and no longer available but I tried it and it was pretty good. Kinda fun to put chips on a salad!

Edited to add that they were a kettle-style chip, which I think helped them maintain their crunch better than some others might. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

This reviewer I did not think much of the salad. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That reviewer knows his stuff. As does Pete, so I'm sure the salad improved since early April.

I remember one of Wylie's dishes at Alder had a vinegar powder component - I think it was the fish and chips, and that too was really good.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

After reading about this potato chip salad at Stretch Pizza this morning, I'm obsessed with knowing more about it. Have any of you been there and had it? I'd love for someone to try it and concoct a recipe for me so I can make it. 

A note that when I was Googling it, I came across an Indian Chaat Potato Chip Salad that I might need to try, too, though it is very different from the way the Stretch salad looks.

I think we just might try the Indian Chaat Potato Salad.  I'd have to say that good kettle fried chips are my all-time Number One weakness.  We have potato chips on hand almost all the time...and they are well  hidden from me by Ed.  He doles them out to me when I ask.  :wub:

• Haha 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

This episode of the "This Is Taste" podcast features Wylie Dufresne and he gives a pretty good description of that salad.  They are buying the kettle chips and putting their own vinegar powder on them so they're probably amped up over what we can buy in the grocery store. dressing the greens with lots of olive oil.  Talk of the salad starts around 19:30 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing. 

Edited to add that vinegar powder can be purchased or you can make it yourself.  Here's an article that sketches out some ways to go about it: Vinegar: Now in Powder Form

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never been i.pressed with any kind of salad involving potato chips. However, coarsely smashed potato chips are a FINE breading for chicken, any kind of schnitzel, country fried steak, etc.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This episode of the "This Is Taste" podcast

I know that I was supposed to be listening to evidence of how the salad was built but my mind could not escape the discussion of Italian-flavoured tenkasu making an appearance on a pizza. 
And of course that brought to mind @Smithy's adventures. 
But the salad did sound better in the podcast than in the review I posted up thread. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I can see adding something crunchy to certain styles of salad 

as a texture enhancement.   

with commercial ' chips '   there is probably going to be considerable 

NaCL baggage along for the ride .

and i doubt the final result will be worth that cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Crispy rice, nuts, croutons do better in a salad than chips. Or crispy fried onions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

IMG_2159.thumb.png.6e5fcbb532be8b526437f554ed5879ac.png

if you are just seeking texture then these work rather well. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I can buy these here.

20230615_072856.thumb.jpg.327b58392c2be669192487013866a482.jpg

They come in about four different flavors. They're quite crispy and never get soggy with the dressing. These are made in Costa Rica but I'm sure that you can find something similar in most countries.

IMO there is nothing better than homemade croutons made with homemade bread.

Somehow the thought of using potato chips as a main ingredient or even as a topping on a salad makes me want to gag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

There is a commercially available (Kroger carries it) preparation of "salad topper" crunchy stuff. It has sunflower seeds, crispy onions, puffed edamame (fried? I don't know), nuts. Also throws in some dried cranberries. It's pretty good; a bag is $4.99, and figuring a handful (maybe 1/4 cup) per meal-sized salad, probably has 12-16 servings in it.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/14/2023 at 6:34 PM, Maison Rustique said:

Hi, I had made Indian chaat potato chip salad and it is very yummy and delicious. It fills my mouth with water now when I think about it.

• Like 2