• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Heinz hamburger dill chip subsitute.

FeChef

Well, i noticed a few months ago my local grocery stopped carrying Heinz hamburger dill chips. Turns out they were discontinued. I have not been able to find a pickle even remotely close to the taste. If you never had them, and need a comparison, McDonalds pickles are pretty close. I would rather not have to ferment my own if anyone knows a brand very close, but im not against it if there is no other option.

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

I must ask then - what brands have you tried? Is the size o great import as well as the crinkle shape I think they had?

Ive tried a bunch of local store brands including Weis, Giant, everyday essientials ( redners brand) and more national brands like  Mt Olive, and Vlasic. Im fine with thin crinkle, or thin sliced. I do not want thick crinkle, or those Oval shaped monstrousity's. When i take a bite of a hambuger or cheesesteak, i expect the pickle to be bite size.

Edited by FeChef (log)

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

I think we posted at same time so I did not see. 

Im not sure what you mean, but if it helps, I found Giant store brand taste the closest. But it still has that "KOSHER" taste even though they claim "Dill"

20231004_212836.jpg

Finally found a Dill pickle chip that taste just like Heinz. What surprised me was in the Grocery stores page for the produce was a description mentioning Vlasic. Now ive tried Vlasic and there oval chips do not taste, nor look anything like these.

Store brand is Weis. They are a PA grocery chain, which made me assume the company that made them was Heinz, but like i said, their product description seems to suggest its Vlasic.

1de92733855cbdc76f7e249a2ea1ec6c5a27b7fb

Edited by FeChef (log)

On 10/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, FeChef said:

I would rather not have to ferment my own if anyone knows a brand very close, but im not against it if there is no other option.

I know this isn’t really a helpful answer to your question, but I thought I’d mention that none of these pickles are fermented. They’re all vinegar pickles. But I’m happy that you found a tastealike pickle that tastes like you remember. I hate when a favorite product goes away and there’s no real substitute.

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I know this isn’t really a helpful answer to your question, but I thought I’d mention that none of these pickles are fermented. They’re all vinegar pickles. But I’m happy that you found a tastealike pickle that tastes like you remember. I hate when a favorite product goes away and there’s no real substitute.

I read an article/recipe where someone said in order to get a really tart pickle you need to ferment. Suggesting that vinegar will not give you the same tartness. I don't know if thats true, but ive tried soo many pickle recipes and can not get the same tartness like Heinz or McDonalds pickles. Its either too salty, or too sour.

Fermentation produces lactic acid, and fermented pickles have a different acid flavor than ones made with vinegar. If you ferment pickles, you don't add vinegar at any stage. I'm guessing that the super secret sauce in these pickles is the 'natural flavor' that McDonalds, Heinz, and Weis all add to their pickling mix.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you found a substitute you are happy with FeChef. I have been ordering the Heinz Hamburger Dills online for a couple years now because of lack of local availability. My Mom didn't want to bother so she has been getting other brands. Her favorites have been Shoprite (now Bowl and Basket) and Weiss. While both of these are pretty good, having the chance to taste these side by side I respectfully disagree that they are not quite the same as the Heinz. Personally, I think the Shoprite are closer in taste to Heinz. Anyway, my main reason for this post is to recommend the Bags of pickles from the Restaurant store. Not being able to find jars of these to order recently I broke down and ordered these bags from https://www.foodservicedirect.com/. They were $2 cheaper than The Restaurant Store. Including shipping the total was $78. This seems expensive, but it is 6 - 5.75 lb bags. Each bag fills 6 - 16 oz. jars up to the top with pickles and brine. So, you get 36 jars of pickles for $78, which works out to $2.17/jar. This is a good deal if you can eat that many pickles. Between my and my daughter, we eat about a jar a week, so this is no big deal to order so much. They say the bags have a 1 year shelf life. If you don't want to order that many pickles at one time you could also try the ShopRite ones if they are available in your area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg.939f62adb882b402b325c86be2d65e88.jpeg

I used Heinz Hamburger Dill Chips for many years and like others have not been able to find them anywhere recently.  I find it very funny that i'm not the only one looking for the same pickle product.  Anyway, based on the advice found here, I drove from Chantilly, VA to Frederick, MD to buy the Weis Hanburger Dill Chips.  Brought 3 jars home and tried them on a chipped ham sandwich yesterday.  I am happy to report that I found them identical in taste and trexture to the Heinz product.

Thanks for the advice!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...