• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cabbage

torakris

Without bothering to look back to see how many times I have contributed to the cabbage thread, I can only say that I have been a dedicated cabbage eater for decade; just the typical round cabbage. No, I don't love the smell of boiling cabbage, so that's not in my repertoire. I use it in stir-fries, as often as once a week. I love it quick-pickled with carrots in the most basic style, so that it works great with Asian foods or Mexican. I make lots of slaws, some to eat as a side, some to use in burritos or tacos, especially with fish. But I also like a rather mustardy slaw for certain things like hot dogs. Slaws are endlessly variable. And finally, I love braised stuffed cabbage, simmered in a tomatoey sauce, although I make it rarely because I am lazy and it's a production. At least one cabbage is always on our major shopping list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Without bothering to look back to see how many times I have contributed to the cabbage thread, I can only say that I have been a dedicated cabbage eater for decade; just the typical round cabbage. No, I don't love the smell of boiling cabbage, so that's not in my repertoire. I use it in stir-fries, as often as once a week. I love it quick-pickled with carrots in the most basic style, so that it works great with Asian foods or Mexican. I make lots of slaws, some to eat as a side, some to use in burritos or tacos, especially with fish. But I also like a rather mustardy slaw for certain things like hot dogs. Slaws are endlessly variable. And finally, I love braised stuffed cabbage, simmered in a tomatoey sauce, although I make it rarely because I am lazy and it's a production. At least one cabbage is always on our major shopping list.

I agree on the cabbage. It is a winter staple here. I make a slaw with a vinagarette dressing that lasts for days, roasted cabbage wedges and like you mentioned, I use it in soup, stir fry or braised as a side. It is one of the few vegetable bargains left. We are having perogies and kielbassa tonight and I'll make sweet and sour red cabbagae to go with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm always amazed how long cabbages last in the fridge. Longer than any other veg I can think of. 

It truly is a keeper

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2022 at 4:20 PM, lindag said:

I've made @mgaretz's cabbage soup and it is really a revelation.  I make it often.

The recipe please.  I can't seem to find  it.  Thanks.  We love cabbage soup.  n n

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been making Japanese izakaya style salt cabbage lately and oh wow is this ever fast, easy and delicious. I used this recipe https://sudachirecipes.com/izakaya-salted-cabbage/ as a starting point, but I've needed to adjust the seasonings a bit. It calls for just the plain green cabbage, but I've had a lot of Taiwanese (flat) cabbage on hand recently, so been using that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

any more details on the cabbage ?

sounds good.

Here are details.

In brief, a small red cabbage SV at 185 x 4 or more hours in butter...then seared in a hot pan...spiced  with harissa or allspice...or whatever...drizzled with honey or sriracha honey...toasted breadcrumbs perhaps.

I haven't made it in a while.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, Beebs said:

I've been making Japanese izakaya style salt cabbage lately and oh wow is this ever fast, easy and delicious. I used this recipe https://sudachirecipes.com/izakaya-salted-cabbage/ as a starting point, but I've needed to adjust the seasonings a bit. It calls for just the plain green cabbage, but I've had a lot of Taiwanese (flat) cabbage on hand recently, so been using that. 

Oh boy, do I have fond memories of that stuff. Every Saturday after progress report we headed out with the PhD and master student of the group to the Izakaya close to Katsura campus. The first whiskey highball came with the otoshi (or “free” snack), that was always changing. But the second highball came (only for us, being regulars) always with yamitsuki kyabetsu. Thanks for reminding me 🙏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The NYT picks up the tail end of the cabbage trend in today's food section. According to them, Americans eat 6 lbs cabbage per person per year, down from 9 lbs. They posit that a cabbage weighs one pound. We calculated that we buy approximately 36 heads of cabbage a year. so between the two of us we each eat 18 lbs of cabbage a year. Considering how many people probably buy no cabbage at all, and only consume it at a deli or BBQ joint, that means some of us are eating a lot of cabbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Does napa cabbage count? Leaves from a young napa dipped in ssamjang is a nice snack.

I'd say we buy about 1 head of either green, napa, or Taiwanese cabbage once every 1.5 weeks or so. Less frequently red and savoy cabbages. Most heads weighing over 1 lb. A lot of cabbage, indeed!

Growing up being Ukraine, Holubtsi has been a time consuming staple in my childhood. We have always used US green cabbage. I just came across this Flat cabbage at a local middle eastern produce market.

20240313_210149.jpg

20240313_210156.jpg

20240313_211516.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 5

I much prefer the flat cabbages to the standard round green ones. Leaves are crisper and sweeter, without the slight starchiness that green cabbages sometime have. Though I don't like it as much for longer braises and soups - they tend to get a bit more mushy with long cooking. 

@blue_dolphin

excellent article.

thank your shar9g.  learned a lot 

what is pointy cage ?

the only thing I can think about is potty raddicio ?

and 

do you have the ref to the potato article ?

love to read that , and more like these.

thanks

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

excellent article.

thank your shar9g.  learned a lot 

what is pointy cage ?

and 

do you have the ref to the potato article ?

love to read that , and more like these.

thanks

I believe the pointy cabbage is officially Caraflex but may also be called conehead or arrowhead. In the recent NYT article that @weinoo linked to above, one of the chefs is pictured holding a few of them. I like the small size for when I don’t need a ton. Aside from being smaller, they taste and cook like regular green cabbage. 

Here's the spud story: An American’s guide to Irish potatoes: the best spuds to roast, boil and steam

If you tap his byline name in those articles, you can pull up the other pieces Russ has written for the Irish Times since he left the LA Times and moved over there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

what is pointy cage ?

Here is the pointy (“conehead”) cabbage we get locally. Tasty stuff! I like that it’s a smaller sized cabbage (I love cabbage and all vegetables, but the other members of my household aren’t especially fond of it).

https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Conehead_Cabbage_4381.php#:~:text=Conehead cabbage is indeed cone,is most reminiscent of cabbage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Here is the pointy (“conehead”) cabbage we get locally. Tasty stuff! I like that it’s a smaller sized cabbage (I love cabbage and all vegetables, but the other members of my household aren’t especially fond of it).

https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Conehead_Cabbage_4381.php#:~:text=Conehead cabbage is indeed cone,is most reminiscent of cabbage.

I can't find that cabbage anywhere. Seems its common in the UK, and Europe. Not so much in Northeast PA.

2 hours ago, FeChef said:

I can't find that cabbage anywhere. Seems its common in the UK, and Europe. Not so much in Northeast PA.

There are some West Coast growers although I don't know what their area for shipping is. It may be available only seasonally, but my info on that is mixed.

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/joan-didion-potato-masher-sesame-oil-gas-stoves/market-report-conehead-cabbage  (Scroll down to the last item of the podcast)

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)

... Shel

On 3/13/2024 at 6:07 PM, Katie Meadow said:

They posit that a cabbage weighs one pound

I eat a lot of cabbage and have never encountered a cabbage weighting only a pound. 1.5 kg would be a small specimen ? 500 g sounds more like an oversized Brussel’s sprout 😎

• Like 1