• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A heartwarming story about a cabbage cookbook.

Anna N

Here

She started the P.E.I. Cabbage Club on Facebook, gathering and sharing recipes to encourage her fellow islanders to buy and cook the vegetable at home. The group attracted more than 800 followers.

She also made a point of reaching out to newcomers on P.E.I. — gathering recipes from the Afghan community, Indian community, and even some Buddhist nuns — to showcase the Island's growing diversity. 

People have bad memories of ... poorly cooked cabbage, steamed into submission in their childhoods.- Sam Sifton

The result is My PEI Cabbage Cookbook, a collection of recipes alongside profiles of some local cabbage farms, essays by fans of the vegetable, and illustrations by Rebecca Ford.

Edited by Anna N
To fix link (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog