• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2024

BeeZee

We aren't having our family dinner until the end of next week due to my parents being away. Mom will make brisket and bring in the crock pot to reheat at my house.

I am not inclined to make matzoh ball soup this year, I'm feeling like a pureed carrot-based soup would be nice for a change.

I've never made one before, but I'm looking at recipes for minas (layered dish made with matzoh, think of the format of lasagna without noodles). Maybe one with spinach/feta. Then some plain roasted yukon golds for the brisket eaters.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@BeeZee

consider adding some fresh good quality curry powder to carrot soup .

transformaional

if you like curry.  and it does not  have to be hot curry powder .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Passover is the one time of the year when I make all the traditional things. I mean, I really can't get tired of something that I only make it once every 12 months. So in the freezer right now are my mother's Passover chocolate hazelnut torte and two whole Ferret Roll cakes. (I'm sorry but I can't tell you why our family calls this Ferret Roll - a flourless banana/walnut cake rolled with coffee whipped cream - because it's a disgusting and horrible story and I am mortified about it.) In the oven is new-to-me version of potato kugel, because I was never all that happy with the one I usually make. Recipe here: https://www.seriouseats.com/potato-kugel-arthur-schwartz-passover-recipe. Will report on results. 

Had to search high and low for a horseradish root in my local area because I had planned to use my home-grown horseradish but when it was dug up last week, it turned out to be all hollow and woody. Son does the grinding wearing ski goggles.

All the other usual suspects will make an appearance - chopped liver, gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, etc., etc., etc. I have my weekend cut out for me. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Passover is the one time of the year when I make all the traditional things. I mean, I really can't get tired of something that I only make it once every 12 months. So in the freezer right now are my mother's Passover chocolate hazelnut torte and two whole Ferret Roll cakes. (I'm sorry but I can't tell you why our family calls this Ferret Roll - a flourless banana/walnut cake rolled with coffee whipped cream - because it's a disgusting and horrible story and I am mortified about it.) In the oven is new-to-me version of potato kugel, because I was never all that happy with the one I usually make. Recipe here: https://www.seriouseats.com/potato-kugel-arthur-schwartz-passover-recipe. Will report on results. 

Had to search high and low for a horseradish root in my local area because I had planned to use my home-grown horseradish but when it was dug up last week, it turned out to be all hollow and woody. Son does the grinding wearing ski goggles.

All the other usual suspects will make an appearance - chopped liver, gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, etc., etc., etc. I have my weekend cut out for me. 

You can't just introduce a story that way and not tell it...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You can't just introduce a story that way and not tell it...

Ok. Fine. But you have to know that we no longer have ferrets and we will never have ferrets again. I believe the statute of limitations has passed, since this happened years ago when my kids were, um, kids. Those kids now have their own kids. And neither of them will have ferrets either.

So I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep anything in a cage. So our ferrets - we had two at peak - had the run of the house, like cats. They would find different places to make their nests - in the couch springs, at the back of a bathroom drawer, in my pantry and in my dish towel drawer. I knew this. But somehow managed not to really think about it very much. You can only deal with so much when you have kids. Anyway, as you probably know, to make a rolled cake you bake the thing on a large flat baking pan, then turn it out onto a dish towel and let it cool slightly before rolling up in the towel. Then you unroll it, spread with filling and re-roll. 

Well. 

When I unrolled the cake, it was horrifyingly obvious that this dish towel had been a ferret nest. The cake was completely covered in fur. Passover seder was mere hours away and I had no time to make a replacement cake. So my sons and I spent about half an hour picking as much fur out of the cake as we could find. I think we got most of it. Probably. I filled it, rolled it up, and we served it. I'm not proud of this. The cake, formerly known as Banana Cream Roll is now known as Ferret Roll but we have never told anyone in the family why. They just think it's one of our silly names.

No one died.

Edited by Nyleve Baar (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

The cake was completely covered in fur.

Based on your initial comments, and the lead-in to the story,  I thought it might be far worse than fur!

Wishing you and your family a fine, ferret fur-free Passover!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Ok. Fine. But you have to know that we no longer have ferrets and we will never have ferrets again. I believe the statute of limitations has passed, since this happened years ago when my kids were, um, kids. Those kids now have their own kids. And neither of them will have ferrets either.

So I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to keep anything in a cage. So our ferrets - we had two at peak - had the run of the house, like cats. They would find different places to make their nests - in the couch springs, at the back of a bathroom drawer, in my pantry and in my dish towel drawer. I knew this. But somehow managed not to really think about it very much. You can only deal with so much when you have kids. Anyway, as you probably know, to make a rolled cake you bake the thing on a large flat baking pan, then turn it out onto a dish towel and let it cool slightly before rolling up in the towel. Then you unroll it, spread with filling and re-roll. 

Well. 

When I unrolled the cake, it was horrifyingly obvious that this dish towel had been a ferret nest. The cake was completely covered in fur. Passover seder was mere hours away and I had no time to make a replacement cake. So my sons and I spent about half an hour picking as much fur out of the cake as we could find. I think we got most of it. Probably. I filled it, rolled it up, and we served it. I'm not proud of this. The cake, formerly known as Banana Cream Roll is now known as Ferret Roll but we have never told anyone in the family why. They just think it's one of our silly names.

No one died.

I love it!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Unclear. Must consult a rabbi. 

I'm not a rabbi, but I played one in a production at my synagogue, and my seven-great grandfather was one of the founders of Chasidism, so I declare that ferrets, despite being cute (at least to some people), are not only tref for Passover, but any time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The NYT has a recent recipe for Alemandrados, almond-lemon macaroons. My contribution has always been charoset, but if I were given the dessert task I think I would make them.

• Like 2

Update on this year's Ferret Roll. Delicious and thankfully ferret-fur-free BUT when we left the dining room to clear up after dessert, our dog had her way with what was left of the cake which was still on the table. 

Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The spinach and feta mina was really good, like spanokopita with matzoh instead of phyllo (missing the crunch, but not the flavor). Photo of the leftovers.

PXL_20240428_120812070_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde