• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Music to cook by

I wasn't sure where to place this topic so here it is.

When I was cooking my wings yesterday, and making a mushroom soup base, shrimp stock and a few other things I was listening to my collection of The Clash. I own all of their music on CD and it has followed me wherever I've lived.

It was fun and I'm curious what others listen to while cooking.

• Like 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Oh! You're wild woman!
I usually have Mark Knopfler, Rod Stewart or the Eagles

Ahem. Wild man would be more appropriate.

• Haha 3

I have a laptop in the kitchen on news most of the time, in case WWIII starts.

Other times the laptop is on YouTube. So if I am cooking French (food), it will be playing French music, if I am cooking Indian, it will be Indian music, so on and so forth.

You can find music in any culture on YouTube. 

dcarch

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Ahem. Wild man would be more appropriate.

OOOPPPP! Sorry !🥴

• Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Depends on my mood of the moment. I like arias but I also love Creedence and Bob Seger and Rod Stewart. The Goo Good Dolls, Tragically Hip,  Elle King, Nina Simone, Carol King, Kris Kristofferson, Willy Nelson... one might say I have eclectic taste in music.

• Like 3

Alter Bridge, Tremonti and Mammoth WVH.  And sometimes my mother's stuff (Eagles, Bob Seger, ELO) if she's in there.  But, I'm usually the one cooking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

No worries and yes to Knopfler (the work he did on 'Local Hero').

Local Hero is one of my all time fave soundtracks and movie.   Seems to be forgotten in the mists of time.

I love The Rocketeer soundtrack (James Horner), another overlooked piece of happiness.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

I also have eclectic musical tastes but reggae and dub seem to go well with cooking.

I'd add some of the Two Tone bands like the Specials and The Beat to that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I'd add some of the Two Tone bands like the Specials and The Beat to that.

I was just explaining the Two Tone movement/music to my GF two nights ago, as we watched the designer on a reno show do a kitchen all in black and white. I commented that I'd need to listen to vintage ska in order to cook in that room, and it kind of snowballed from there.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I was just explaining the Two Tone movement/music to my GF two nights ago, as we watched the designer on a reno show do a kitchen all in black and white. I commented that I'd need to listen to vintage ska in order to cook in that room, and it kind of snowballed from there.

Now that you mention it - Reel Big Fish goes well with stir fries ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

No worries and yes to Knopfler (the work he did on 'Local Hero').

My favourite movie! Alan Clark, who is the piano player in the movie, did keyboard work on our last recording session in Newcastle, England, 1979. That was just before he was picked up by Mark Knopfler for the Dire Straits.
Have you tried cooking to "Privateer"? Great for making seafood dishes;-)

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

46 minutes ago, Dejah said:

My favourite movie! Alan Clark, who is the piano player in the movie, did keyboard work on our last recording session in Newcastle, England, 1979. That was just before he was picked up by Mark Knopfler for the Dire Straits.
Have you tried cooking to "Privateer"? Great for making seafood dishes;-)

Great film. My favorite album is 'Brothers in Arms' although all are good.

I seldom listen to music while cooking, as with my schedule I usually have dinner long after normal people and my neighbors are in bed.  If I do, it's most likely something by Laura Love.  But for the past many months I've been preparing my mai tai to All the Good Times by Gillian Wech and David Rawlings.  I love Rawlings' cover of Dylan's Senor.  Can't say I ever cared for Dylan's original.

To accompany said mai tai, as at the moment, invariably the playlist features Mary Gauthier, almost always her album Mercy Now.  If I'm imbibing slowly Janis Ian may have a spot.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

When I was still working full-time and only had the chance to do real cooking on some weekends, I would often listen to All Blues on NPR with John Kessler. Saturdays and Sundays, 6 pm to midnight, easy to tune into for an hour or two. Or more.  🙂

https://www.knkx.org/allblues

• Like 2

I know you are all talking about what you are listening to at home while cooking; here at the shop, the staff likes to listen to music although I prefer a quiet kitchen.  The favorite of the baker is listening to old Casey Kasem's Top 40 countdowns :)

• Like 2