• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

Part of last night's dinner. I tried again to get the perfect sear on my steak over a charcoal fire without overdoing the interior. I missed again... took the steak out of the freezer too soon, I think. The flavor was good but there wasn't any pink inside.

20240722_183550.jpg

The only time I've gotten the desired doneness and sear over an open flame was cooking a not-quite-thawed steak over a campfire. It was an accident then. When I've tried to plan ahead I've let the steak thaw too much and fluffed the result! Or maybe, as I speculated at the time, it was just dumb luck. 🙂

Just curious. How thick was that steak? 

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Just curious. How thick was that steak? 

Just a bit shy of an inch thick. My ruler says the leftover bit is about 7/8".

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pan-asian inspired ground beef and vegetables stir-fry - Using a mortar you make a paste out of ginger, fresno chili, garlic and brown sugar and afterwards add some rice vinegar and fish sauce. Sautéed some broccoli, onion, scallions and tomatoes. In a second pan sautéed ground beef and added the vegetables and paste before adding sake and reduce it first a few minutes. Finished with some mint and served either jasmine rice.

IMG_0015.thumb.jpeg.84c68aea572314cbf43756f3d2084c8b.jpeg

• Like 6

Got a great deal on chicken this week.

Thrifty's, where I buy most of my meats had big roasting chickens on for buy one get one free.

So I bought four.  All weighing over four pounds, between $22 and $24 each.   So it ended up costing 

less than $48 for about $100 worth of chicken.

BreakingdownchickensJuly21st2024.thumb.jpg.469ac5ff60510c275c8897fbfa05eb3c.jpg

I left one whole and broke the remaining chickens down into legs, left one breast whole with the wings attached

and cut the other two whole breasts in half, with wings

VaccumSealedchickenJuly21st2024.thumb.jpg.ca0f647fd76d3f8730bd4e76df6dfb0e.jpg

and vacuum sealed and froze all but the whole chicken.

RoastchickenjustoutoftheovenJuly23rd2024.thumb.jpg.45964652f11776c59f1896c78af4bdb8.jpg

Last night's dinner was a roast chicken dinner,

RoastchickendinnerJuly23rd2024.thumb.jpg.af10e482e58e9621ae149227837d3fcc.jpg

with dressing, mashed potatoes, rutabaga, green beans and lots of gravy.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

@Ann_T, your freezer must be ginormous!

Another hot weather/bad pain meal for me. Cottage cheese with a healthy glop of tzatziki (a delicious combo and went perfectly with tomato) and my sister and BIL's home grown tomato. Ate some potato chips with, but I was really wishing I had a nice hot, buttered biscuit.  (Too hot to even think about turning on the oven.

image.thumb.png.ec75db456dde3d34312239b1caa4620c.png

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 7/24/2024 at 5:57 AM, Maison Rustique said:

@Ann_T, your freezer must be ginormous!

I love my freezer. 

image.png.ba79cc1bea86a1873f3e817b2a7fcfa5.png

I replaced a small chest style freezer that didn't get used much with a LG freezer with shelves and drawers during Covid when

was buying and freezing more than in the past.

I recently bought the matching LG all fridge that Moe calls my bread /baking fridge.  

Our favourite way to use leftover roast chicken breast.

HotChickenSandwichJuly24th2024.thumb.jpg.ed1edf58a03dbbf9ec3d9d86dc017e2d.jpg
Hot chicken sandwiches on homemade bread, twice fried fries, peas and gravy.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3