• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@C. sapidus

Im interested in trying WAC.

do any portions include the tail section ?

Id rather get thicker portions , closer to the head .

what have you gotten from them ?

I wish I could answer but Mrs. C did all of the ordering. So far we have had halibut cheeks, coho salmon fillets, and black sable fillets. Sorry!

Here is the website:

Wild Alaskan Company (clicky)

I hope that helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The dinner was at home in Changsha, the capital of Hunan. The temperature was around 2 degrees Celsius. That's how people deal with the cold. They just pile on more clothes.

Do homes in this area not have heat because it's usually so warm that it's not usually needed?

Jumbo lump crab cakes, the crab is picked and packed in Maryland but the crabs were from North Carolina.  Md. watermen are still gathering oysters. Steamed, then roasted potatoes, sautéed sugar snap peas in a little evoo ; dessert was a sponge cake with berries.

IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5690.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

1 hour ago, OlyveOyl said:

Jumbo lump crab cakes, the crab is picked and packed in Maryland but the crabs were from North Carolina.  Md. watermen are still gathering oysters. Steamed, then roasted potatoes, sautéed sugar snap peas in a little evoo ; dessert was a sponge cake with berries.

IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5690.jpeg

Your meals are always a feast for the eyes! Curious, were or are you a professional?

• Like 3

On 2/25/2024 at 9:36 AM, rotuts said:

@liamsaunt

please share your Rx for the spicy sweet potatoes

22 hours ago, gastropod said:

Could I ask for the recipe for this, or if you don't have one handy, just a description of how you prepare the sweet potatoes?

They are very easy.  I just cubed up a couple of sweet potatoes, and tossed them in a spice blend and a little vegetable oil.  I used hot smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt for this batch.  Then I roasted them at 425 for about 40 minutes.  My sister made the beans, and I was not paying attention, so I'm not sure what she put in them.  

Last night at the request of everyone but me, I made a roast turkey dinner.  I am not a fan of roast turkey, so my plate was everything but the bird.  Sides were mashed potatoes, butternut squash pureed with maple, cranberries that I made last fall and froze, Eric Kim's Thanksgiving stuffing recipe from NY Times Cooking, and green beans with almonds.

roastturkeydinner.thumb.jpg.e8cb45c144905f4361c6f0056c95c159.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

Pickerel fish'n'chips with curry gravy for the chips, and malt vinegar for the fish

FishChips3713.jpg.829e13b7cab9caaad0e34b2085e925d7.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Lamb with pea pistou inspired by a NYT recipe. Lamb meatballs were oven baked at 425* for 15/20 and developed nice browning.  I made 7 large ones rather than a dozen.  The pea pistou was a pleasing combination with the lamb, my peas  were zapped for a minute and then immediately semi puréed in FP with basil, evoo and a little garlic. The rice pilaf …barley, farro, was lovely with the lamb and peas.

Dessert was Panna cotta with Amarena cherries and cherries in pastis.

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Shrimp with garlic, chilies, and curry leaves. Shrimp were rubbed with turmeric and cayenne, and the oil was flavored with black mustard seed. Simple and full of flavor. Stir-fried Savoy cabbage with fennel, sesame, and cumin seeds, plus onion and cayenne, finished with lemon juice and garam masala. One of our favorites.

Shrimp_cabbage_202302.thumb.jpg.708be9a09b0c71237e86049e39fbac76.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

It really is a bountiful time in the garden. There are still wonderful tomatoes on the vine, there’s red capsicums, cucumbers and the figs are coming in. We had a beautiful little fig tree at a previous home which for all its youth,  gave us about 3 dozen of the most joyfully sweet figs every year. Hope the one we’ve put in here recently supplies the same. The abundant salad has potatoes and sweet potatoes and with a BBQ’d pork chop, was a joy to eat. I pickled some red onions as well. 

2AD45E51-E5A0-4FB0-9C0F-E79836D82C95.jpeg.7b9c3d00cf3d512b5e10c07ce9f22d16.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Modernist New York Style Pizza, this time made with a levain instead of yeast!

20240226_175142.thumb.jpg.381a27454d0731fa5594d8449582c110.jpg

Worked just fine, the dough seemed a little easier to roll up big, so I think the water content was higher.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

IMG_1517.thumb.jpeg.b5cc7d8700565be11f9a77a1985b0a4f.jpeg

New Mexico style chile rojo con carne. Dried Hatch red chilis, rehydrated and turned into a sauce with garlic and stock. Grass-fed beef and Yukon potatoes, along with garlic and onions.  Black beans, simply cooked.  Served with both flour and corn tortillas. A little taste of downtown Albuquerque, and Duran Central Pharmacy (where the freshly made flour tortillas are great), for Significant Eater.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Egg banh mi.  The crazy color on the pickled vegetables is from the varieties from my CSA box.  They sent purple daikons and red-orange carrots, and they became neon bright in the pickling marinade.

eggbahmi.thumb.jpg.4cfa205a80b50b1c54b5a96b540cbba8.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Recent trip to Guatemala

Fresh Mahi Mahi/Dorado/Dolphin fish Sandwich  ( Weird they put American cheese on fish )

image.png

With a side of Trophy Sail!!!

image.thumb.png.2a3d6c48d85c129348dc630b94cdee6b.png

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Its good to have Morels

Haddock with cilantro/mint chutney over mushroom and peppers pilaf with bok choy.

Ham and Swiss stuffed chicken breast with 'smashed' mini potatoes, tomatoes and pickled red onions.

HaddockwithChutneyPilafandBokChoy.thumb.JPG.8a9d00e3ed47d3c80c56956af3b9f2c9.JPGStuffedChickenBreastandSmashedNiniPotatoes.thumb.JPG.3ba3e6b324dbe383368d9757fde3f7a8.JPG

• Like 14

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

On 2/26/2024 at 7:22 PM, Dejah said:

Pickerel fish'n'chips with curry gravy for the chips, and malt vinegar for the fish

FishChips3713.jpg.829e13b7cab9caaad0e34b2085e925d7.jpg

What kind of batter produces that smooth finish? No bread crumbs, only flour? Any special liquid?

• Like 1

I can't answer for @Dejah, but breadcrumbs in batter? Fish is either breaded or battered; I've never encountered breadcrumbs in a batter.

I always use simple but classic beer batter with fish. Flour, beer and maybe some bicarb. Seasoning. The end.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto