• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

@Ann_T

Excellent.

soaking a hunk of something 

surface area to volume 

is different than soaking a slice.

just keep that in mind 

bacon /sliced ham . etc.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

Excellent.

soaking a hunk of something 

surface area to volume 

is different than soaking a slice.

just keep that in mind 

bacon /sliced ham . etc.

Desalting is like curing in reverse.

The times for cure penetration probably apply for un-curing too.

IIRC salt penetrates meat at about 1/2 cm/day...or maybe its a cm/day....whichever...it would be quick for a deli slice and quite a while for a chunk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@rotus Thanks for the ham tip, I happened to be having ham for dinner tonight and it “worked a treat”.

Yesterday, we had pork tenderloin au jus.   In IP  pot #1  fennel, apple and onion were cooked until golden. Added a dash of soy, maggi, chicken broth and port and topped it with the seared tenderloin. 
in IP pot #2 were chunked up russet potatoes.  Both pots were turned on with 4 minute timing.  The tenderloin was set for zero with a 4 minute natural release, the potatoes set on steam for 4 minutes..  Miraculously, both were finished perfectly, the potatoes were added to the other veggies  for a quick get together while the meat rested for a minute prior to slicing. Just enough cooking liquid remained to do a little pour over.. forget to use the fennel fronds.

Dessert was a pistachio raspberry jam  mini cake.

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 7

Leftover rib steak, mushrooms, aged cheddar and arugula on toasted baguette.

Served with coleslaw, cucumber quick pickled in red onion pickling juice and a Keith's IPA.

BeefMushroomsArugulaandCheddaronBaguette.thumb.JPG.837342690cd69f62dae04fd87838c2f7.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

IMG_1271.thumb.jpeg.3e4559b3747a4893a9eafef89c3633a4.jpeg

Favorite winter salad of bitter greens, with a few additions. Mustard-heavy vinaigrette. No need to wait for a summer salad here.

IMG_1274.thumb.jpeg.5dbeeb9a7833cce4b16f75c6530d9977.jpeg

Roasted chicken parts and potatoes.  Breast was removed 15 - 20 minutes earlier, to keep it from over cooking.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo 

Nice.  very nice .

do you eat the neck , or save it for later stock // sauce ?

you certainly have the ' Roast Chicken '  visuals down pat .

I saved this one :

Chicken.jpeg.19886f38169a74bf50e15759bb4d5c37.jpeg

for Private Drooling , from time to time.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

At the request of the rural Kansas contingent, another take out dinner...

PXL_20240104_000255009.thumb.jpg.402a0657ef2c6af0ce7e71df5a833880.jpg

Chicken "Dry pot"

PXL_20240104_000258922.thumb.jpg.f2ab86297a9f4b11e1f2c45b88de9705.jpg

Pea leaves stir fried with garlic 

I need to get to the Asian market.  Are pea leaves the same a pea shoots?  I love pea shoots.

For some reason everytime I spend my Christmas vacation in Spain, I get sick. Must be the absence of any stress or something. Regardless. after some crappy days today was my “convalescence” linner (a lunch taken from 16.30h-18.00) at a local restaurant with Catalan favourites …

Menu for @rotuts …

IMG_2128.thumb.jpeg.b748f8dff8e3a237cec62e12c27de263.jpeg

IMG_2129.thumb.jpeg.5951b795a22b47cb7bcb0bf5c97d7103.jpeg

IMG_2138.thumb.jpeg.e6973bfe775ee44493a676cffa87ea31.jpeg

Amuse-gueule: Pumpkin soup with jamon serrano

IMG_2130.thumb.jpeg.4f66d1487d5fe3fb0f0ce7ddda22214c.jpeg

I had the Trinxat, a mixture of potatoes, cabbage and bacon …

IMG_2134.thumb.jpeg.593fd66b7a2cf2070575eee29b9bef68.jpeg

DW chose the red beet soup with pickled fish and avocado …

IMG_2132.thumb.jpeg.1714356b687d312b69729b891229f654.jpeg

For mains she took the oil poached salmon (calling it Tataki was a bit misleading) with leek confit - this was excellent !

IMG_2135.thumb.jpeg.079a08013a58c01e8ed94e9dad1ee439.jpeg

As was my squid with blood sausage and artichoke purée …

IMG_2137.thumb.jpeg.cc34a4afbbb9f0bdf1a9523e27a9cce2.jpeg

Dessert: Tarte Tatin for her …

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.a9d1fd559d1455541ccbf3d77ea733be.jpeg

Puff pastry filled with cream and strawberries for me …

IMG_2141.thumb.jpeg.f951bd7990c21cf826ce42dd427e9c9e.jpeg

Coffee & a nap 🤗

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 5

@Duvel

excellent lunch.

hope you continue to improve.

would have loved to see what there ' Browni ' looked like

loved your selections .

thank you for the menus

in Catalan , is ' X ' the equivalent of ' Ch ?''

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I need to get to the Asian market.  Are pea leaves the same a pea shoots?  I love pea shoots.

Here they are but in other places, pea shoots looks like a week older than microgreens.  In my local HMart, they're called Bean leaves or something like that.

• Thanks 1

Garbanzo bean soup with spinach and topped with grilled shrimp.  The color is from Spanish Pimentón, a very picante and smoky version from our last trip to Spain.  

Mexico has a good trade agreement with Spain so the garbanzos were from a jar imported from Spain.  Smooth as silk straight out of the jar (canned ones here tend to be too toothy and difficult to soften).  

garbo2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Garbanzo bean soup with spinach and topped with grilled shrimp.  The color is from Spanish Pimentón, a very picante and smoky version from our last trip to Spain.  

Mexico has a good trade agreement with Spain so the garbanzos were from a jar imported from Spain.  Smooth as silk straight out of the jar (canned ones here tend to be too toothy and difficult to soften).  

garbo2.jpg

Mind sharing the recipe for the soup? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

do you eat the neck , or save it for later stock // sauce ?

It's the cook's treat around here...eaten.

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Coffee & a nap 🤗

Lovely looking meal!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

59 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Mind sharing the recipe for the soup? 

Got the idea from this NYT recipe https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020828-lemony-shrimp-and-bean-stew but I used what I had in the house.

It serves 4.

Couple tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat in 4 quart pot.  Added half a really large white onion.  Light salt and black pepper.  Let edges get brown, then added 3 large and potent finely diced garlic cloves for barely a few minutes more (I don't like my garlic to get to brown).  Added jar of drained (but not rinsed) garbanzos (570g total, 400g net).  Added at heaping tbsp. of smoked picante Pimentón.  Let it cook for another 5 minutes, stirring pretty often.  Added 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth (I use granules in water).  Cranked up the heat to high until at a boil, then reduced to a simmer for 15 minutes covered.  I then let it sit on stove until mi esposo got home, an hour or so.  

While the base was sitting, I dusted 12 jumbo shrimp with Pimentón and salt and tossed with 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and let them sit on counter for 10 minutes.  Then I grilled till barely done (two minutes a side).   I reserved 6 of the shrimp for tomorrow's leftover reheat of soup.  I cut  each of the other 6 into 3 pieces and set aside.  

Reheated the soup base until almost at a boil then threw in 100g (about 4 oz) of fresh baby spinach.  Stirred until barely wilted.  

Ladled into bowls, topped with shrimp and sprinkle of Pementón and served.  I meant to grate some lemon zest over it at serving time, but forgot.  When I reheat tomorrow I'll try to remember the zest.  I didn't add the normal amount of salt I would normally add to onion, shrimp as I know the chicken broth crystals I buy here are pretty salty. 

I wrote this off top of my head, pretty sure it's accurate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Continuing the neighborhood tour of take out and delivery:

PXL_20240105_001505036.thumb.jpg.bd7e2cb137334a4df194334c12baf280.jpg

Indian grilled chicken thigh

PXL_20240105_001523261.thumb.jpg.1b58f288ad277985f1fee12c1e76baef.jpg

South Indian chicken curry with coconut milk and curry leaves, both quite spicy but so different than the Hunan.

Also, my favorite fruit vendor in Chinatown has green mango again!!!

PXL_20240105_004137107.thumb.jpg.9fa210f81d9521bd56e227e07bc81271.jpg

• Like 13

I made a mushroom focaccia Wednesday afternoon, gave half to my sister, and will be using the remainder in sandwiches.

The last of the leftover rib steak, aged cheddar and arugula on focaccia with some mashed sweet potato and quick pickled cucumber.

DuxellesFocaccia.thumb.JPG.141dfe0dbcf3fc1a9c70079c435ef7d1.JPGRibSteakAgedCheddarandArugulaonFocaccia.thumb.JPG.a2bcf1869d0a8cddc34ccaa1422ed351.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Since I sent a good part of yesterday thinking and writing about Inner Mongolian food for this, I developed a craving. So I ordered this from the local Mongolian roast restaurant for part of dinner.

羊肉风味小肉串 (yáng ròu fēng wèi xiǎo ròu chuàn), Lamb skewers.

山东杂良面饼 (shān dōng zá liáng miàn bǐng), Shandong rough grain wheat pancakes.

The lamb is heavily spiced and tender. The pancakes are paper thin and bland. but make a good contrast to the lamb. I'd say more flatbread than pancake, but that's how they describe it.

MongolianLambKebabs.thumb.jpg.526bd1bc2bddd3492398cd483f0fc4b5.jpg

Rest of dinner was a cheese platter with crackers and fruit.

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Continuing the neighborhood tour of take out and delivery:

From???  (Did you see that Dhamaka/Biryani Bol is now offering a meal kit for their biryani at home?)

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

, my favorite fruit vendor in Chinatown

Mulberry/Canal?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

46 minutes ago, weinoo said:

From???  (Did you see that Dhamaka/Biryani Bol is now offering a meal kit for their biryani at home?)

This came from Bhatti Indian Grill in Curry Hill.  I did see that Dhamaka started offering the Biryani to go/delivery that you heat at home.  We were about to go away when they first introduced it but I'm considering it for one day soon.  We do like ourselves some dum biryani.

46 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Mulberry/Canal?

Yes.