• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

A recent episode of Kenji's podcast featured the grilled cheese sandwich/cheese toastie (listen or watch him make them).

His tips for a good "cheese pull" intrigued me (spoiler: American cheese and its emulsifying salt). As you can imagine, this stuff is not easy to come by in France. In fact I'm expecting to be deported at any moment for this treacherous affront to French cheese.

But it was "American week" in Lidl and they actually had some, as well as Monterey Jack. Seeing as I might not get another chance, I took the risk...

Cheese.GIF.0e4084ecaf9b94f279fcf2a0340c5ce0.GIF

Not bad. I made another...

GrilledCheese.thumb.png.c82718407786e40f371b9cf9e2dce1aa.png

The internet tells me that this type of American cheese freezes quite well so I'll hide my stash there and hope the gendarmes don't come knocking.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

A recent episode of Kenji's podcast featured the grilled cheese sandwich/cheese toastie (listen or watch him make them).

His tips for a good "cheese pull" intrigued me (spoiler: American cheese and its emulsifying salt). As you can imagine, this stuff is not easy to come by in France. In fact I'm expecting to be deported at any moment for this treacherous affront to French cheese.

But it was "American week" in Lidl and they actually had some, as well as Monterey Jack. Seeing as I might not get another chance, I took the risk...

Not bad. I made another...

The internet tells me that this type of American cheese freezes quite well so I'll hide my stash there and hope the gendarmes don't come knocking.

Should the gendarmes confiscate your stash, you could visit the Melty Cheese Calculator and make a pull-able cheese from something that actually tastes good! 

Also, I can't stop laughing about "American week" in a Lidl in France!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pete Fred When your store does "Mexican Week" perhaps you can get some Oaxaca cheese. Super melty, great "pull," although I never heard that expression before. It's also excellent in a very simple omelet. Lately we've been making grilled cheese sandwiches with Oaxaca and a scatter of sweet onion.

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can't stop laughing about "American week" in a Lidl in France!

It ain't pretty. The worst kind of ultra-processed junk, mainly. But I guess it makes a nice change from, you know, frogs' legs and snails. 😉

13 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

When your store does "Mexican Week" perhaps you can get some Oaxaca cheese.

I think Mexico gets lumped in with "America", but mostly amounts to just tacos and guacamole; although Oaxaca rings a bell, so maybe they do have it from time to time (can't think of anywhere else I'd have seen it). I will pay more attention next time. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

you could visit the Melty Cheese Calculator...

Is there a quick explanation how to use it?

4 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

you could visit the Melty Cheese Calculator...

I'm thinking the calculator is fairly self-explanatory (do correct me if I'm wrong) and you'd like to know what to do with the results of the calculations.  This Perfectly Melting Cheese Slice has pretty good instructions for that part.

4 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

I think it's pretty self-explanatory, if you click on that link. If you have questions, check out this topic in addition to @blue_dolphin's link above.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dinner with friends at Bodega Spanish Tapas in Georgetown, followed by the Fabulous Thunderbirds at Blue Alley.

I had pulpo a la plancha (the star of the show), albondigas estofadas, and shared gambas al ajillo with Mrs. C.

New life mission: learn how to cook octopus. 😃

• Like 9

Rice noodles pan fried with chili crisp oil (with a splash of habanero lime sauce) green onion, cilantro, pan fried shrimp, blistered shishitos and hosta shoots.

Surprisingly summery day yesterday so this hit the spot.

DSCN2062.thumb.JPG.2fa62c2b84a8930673a594f00209f6f1.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

It was over 90 degrees yesterday (and more of the same today) and I didn't really even feel hungry. I had a cold chicken thigh with a little side salad. Avocado lime dressing over the whole thing. Glass of pinot grigio. It is too early for it to be this hot.

image.thumb.png.9b4ef7b7d61bcbf9e91b2b748a84ff6c.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

41 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

It was over 90 degrees yesterday (and more of the same today) and I didn't really even feel hungry. I had a cold chicken thigh with a little side salad. Avocado lime dressing over the whole thing. Glass of pinot grigio. It is too early for it to be this hot.

That's a bit on the cool side round here, even in May.

I too had a chicken thigh for dinner, but no avo. Braised with garlic and shiitake and served with rice and baby spinach. No pictures. Too hungry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Dinner with friends at Bodega Spanish Tapas in Georgetown, followed by the Fabulous Thunderbirds at Blue Alley.

I had pulpo a la plancha (the star of the show), albondigas estofadas, and shared gambas al ajillo with Mrs. C.

New life mission: learn how to cook octopus. 😃

My husband lives for the grilled octopus at one particular restaurant in Playa del Carmen. It is his gold standard for octopus and no other place has come close so far.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker, that pasta looks so good. And spicy. 

Simple dinner last night.
PeamealBaconandTomatoesontoastMay18th2024.thumb.jpg.689892153e9395c72553133b67a9f2cc.jpg
Peameal bacon and tomato on toast.
Having felt deprived for the last few years I love having
peameal bacon in the freezer.

My Ontario born and raised husband also longs for the peameal bacon of his youth. We've been able to find it a couple of times over the years but not often.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My Ontario born and raised husband also longs for the peameal bacon of his youth. We've been able to find it a couple of times over the years but not often.

This is one of the easiest cured products to make at home.

I'm planning on doing some in the near future and will post the procedure and results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Warm salmon salad.  A quasi Nicoise minus the olives (could not find any good ones this week in our corner of MX).  

salsad1.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

This is one of the easiest cured products to make at home.

I'm planning on doing some in the near future and will post the procedure and results.

That would be great. My husband did make it once but apparently it "wasn't the same."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

My husband lives for the grilled octopus at one particular restaurant in Playa del Carmen. It is his gold standard for octopus and no other place has come close so far.

It is nearly impossible to get badly grilled octopus in Mexico.  Even corner taco stands know how to do it.  It remains a popular item for both of us. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, gulfporter said:

It is nearly impossible to get badly grilled octopus in Mexico.  Even corner taco stands know how to do it.  It remains a popular item for both of us. 

It was the sauce that accompanied the octopus at the particular restaurant - sort of a cross between teriyaki and hot sauce. We have had pulpo a couple of times in Mexico that was beyond being able to chew! Octopus is not something that I can easily source around here, otherwise I would be happy to experiment with it.

Posted (edited)

Variation on Yassa from Senegal - chicken stew with caramelized onions. Chicken thighs are marinated in a mixture of oil, dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt and then seared. Larger batch of onions gets slowly cooked down until caramelized and then braised with the seared chicken thighs, marinade, serrano chili, garlic and chicken broth. Finished with some more lemon juice and mixed with the cooked rice. Served with some blanched spinach finished with olive oil and lemon juice.

IMG_9383.thumb.jpeg.4c2dcff4241f105477f1d4f312c86d62.jpeg

Edited by Honkman (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

We needed some seafood after having meat loaf on the weekend.

Thai prawns with beans, onion and carrots. Sauce was lemon grass, coconut milk, fish sauce, sriracha, soy sauce, stock powder, garlic, cornflower and water.

A53757AC-A970-4A82-BD86-03D7BCD9CDFE.jpeg.542e66be35e029a11d354b2e851a1326.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1