• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panettone: Do You Hate It or Love It?

gulfporter

The mini ones arrived last month to my local Walgreens Drug Store.  They are $1.29 each.  Perfect size to go with my morning coffee.

How much do I love panettone???  

We get $10 store coupons for every vaccine we get (for free, thank you Medicare).  We've had a total of 4 vax between us. 

I have used used all the $40 store credits on panettone.   

My husband hates panettone.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We love it.  Fresh, we tear off hunks and eat it with butter.  A few days old, we slice it, toast it and slather it with butter.  After Xmas - when they go on sale -  we buy a couple to slice and freeze and make into French toast.  This last may be my favorite way to enjoy it.  I'm not a fan of fruitcake, but candied fruit in an enriched dough?  Yes, please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We love it.  Fresh, we tear off hunks and eat it with butter.  A few days old, we slice it, toast it and slather it with butter.  After Xmas - when they go on sale -  we buy a couple to slice and freeze and make into French toast.  This last may be my favorite way to enjoy it.  I'm not a fan of fruitcake, but candied fruit in an enriched dough?  Yes, please.

Wow.....making into French toast.  You are a genius!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is another topic here somewhere here I posted being in line behind a gorgeous tall slender woman and her hub pushing a cart packed with pennetone - Rite Aide maybe. I tilted my head in wonder and he said - she loves it..  The new diet ;

• Haha 2

Here's my two cents about panettone. Most of them are too sweet and contain plasticky neon fruit. Also many sit on shelves for weeks and are stale. Once in a while a really good one pops out of the xmas murk and it is plain and delicate and delicious. And yes, very nice toasted. So, love it when it is really good, but usually it isn't worth writing home about.

11 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Here's my two cents about panettone. Most of them are too sweet and contain plasticky neon fruit. Also many sit on shelves for weeks and are stale. Once in a while a really good one pops out of the xmas murk and it is plain and delicate and delicious. And yes, very nice toasted. So, love it when it is really good, but usually it isn't worth writing home about.

The freshness is something that has prevented me from buying one.  I see rows and rows of them and while I actually would like to try one, I can never get myself to stop wondering how long they have been sitting there.

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The freshness is something that has prevented me from buying one.  I see rows and rows of them and while I actually would like to try one, I can never get myself to stop wondering how long they have been sitting there.

At some point you just have to, excuse the expression, pull the trigger.

The best strategy is to ask any friends, of Italian heritage, what they buy.

Otherwise online or other ratings.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

My Sicilian BIL had bought one several years ago for our holiday get-together, warmed in the oven before serving. I am sure it was an authentic imported brand (I remember a box, so not from a bakery) and it was good. I don’t think it had dried fruit (there are different flavors). The ones we see in the local drugstore/grocery are mostly preservative-laden dreck. Like a lot of other traditional foods, it’s beneficial to sample “real deal” versions to evaluate.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I love it.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, gulfporter said:

Wow.....making into French toast.  You are a genius!  

It makes REALLY good french toast.

On 10/10/2023 at 7:31 PM, ElsieD said:

Anyone here who makes it?

I've contemplated making Josh Weissman's a few time, but haven't yet.  Might change after reading the Marc Vetri link above.

• Like 1

Like many mass produced things, glaceed fruit has been cheapened to what Katie rightly calls Neon Fruit.    The real thing, from small producers is a different animal.    True to flavor and color of the original fruit, delicious, and expensive even at the source.     Besides the fancy food halls of the grand magazins in Paris, wonderful stuff can be found at Paris' Christian Constant.    Yes, those stoplight red thing are glaceed chilis!

eGullet member #80.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, ElsieD said:

Anyone here who makes it?

@Alleguede does. During the development stage we got pannatone from all over the place. We went to Rulli, visited with him and toured the kitchen. I paid an outrageous price for a couple of Roy loaves that I brought back from the states. By far the best was one we got in Italy - Simone DeFeo - Rodney wanted to go and do a course with him.

I'm going to recommend that if you are down in the area closer to the holiday that you let me know and I'll get one of Rodney's for you. It really is one of the best in Toronto - Blog TO

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4