• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Bell Pepper Haters - This One's For You

weinoo

5 hours ago, BeeZee said:

The classic (NY style) sausage and peppers is a pile of cooked GBP and onion, with grilled sausage, on a good sturdy roll.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. I make it regularly, except grilled (so to speak) on the stove and w/o the roll. 

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm not a hater.  I like them. This thread is making me want grilled sausage with peppers and onions 😋

Or squid with black beans and green peppers 😋

Or GBP diced up in a Western omelet or egg sandwich 😋

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

GS with P and O is a favorite

Griddled, not grilled!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I have never been fond of green bell pepper, but until I joined eG I had no idea how many people hated them. I will use one when cooking red beans and rice because it seems like heresy not to. After a couple of hours cooking with the beans they pretty much disappear. Otherwise I have little use for them. Raw? No way.

Banana peppers (Cubanelles are my favorite) are an acceptable sub in any recipe that calls for GBP's. I loathe them. I will tolerate, barely, the red, yellow and orange ones.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've been lurking on this thread from the beginning and I found the hatred of green bell Peppers absolutely incredible. Then going down in the proverbial rabbit holes of back threads I found this one. Food neuroses that drive you nuts. Compared to a lot of past members you're not so crazy after all. I did find it interesting that in all 10 pages, nobody mentioned green bell peppers.

Myself, I love them. I have a special reason for liking sausage, green peppers and onions. Years ago, my future husband who was just a friend at the time helped me move into a new apartment. We finished about dinner time and all I had in my fridge was some Italian sausage, green peppers and onions so I fixed a stir fry with it. Although for several years, he had eaten in restaurant where I worked, I had never fixed a home cooked meal for him. I couldn't have gotten rid of him for anything after that meal. We started dating and were together for over 30 years. That was always one of his favorite meals.

So the rest of you, hate away. I've found this a very amusing topic.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My hell today - my stepmother baking potato chunks with bell peppers. The smell + nausea. I closed the doors between us and opened every window where I was. Even the gas blower from gardener was welcome to mask it. As I've said before not the taste but the return. I grew up with stuffed peppers and I get the love but the do not love that.. Only food that hates me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

My hell today - my stepmother baking potato chunks with bell peppers. The smell + nausea. I closed the doors between us and opened every window where I was. Even the gas blower from gardener was welcome to mask it. As I've said before not the taste but the return. I grew up with stuffed peppers and I get the love but the do not love that.. Only food that hates me.

So you don't like peppers because they give you gas? Thats pretty shallow, who cares if you rip a few after. I guess you don't like garlic either? Or bad breath doesn't concern you?

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

So you don't like peppers because they give you gas? Thats pretty shallow, who cares if you rip a few after. I guess you don't like garlic either? Or bad breath doesn't concern you?

I love garlic. Passing gas is not the issue - if you've never had the issue hard to explain. You just sorta lightly burp and re-taste. Thus the "re" . No other food does it to me. 

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

I love garlic. Passing gas is not the issue - if you've never had the issue hard to explain. You just sorta lightly burp and re-taste. Thus the "re" . No other food does it to me. 

Take some beano before hand.

8 hours ago, FeChef said:

Take some beano before hand.

Beano helps break down the indigestible oligosaccharides in legumes. That's probably not of much use with bell peppers.

I don't have that same issue with bell peppers (of any colour) but some brands of hot dogs will give me those recurring flavour-burps for a full day afterwards.

• Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/28/2023 at 1:46 PM, RWood said:

I despise them. Pick them off/out anything they are in. Doesn’t really help much, everything they touch tastes like them🤢

I call them "polluters".  They flavor everything they are cooked with.  With a lot of ingredients (like white button mushrooms) you can eat around them and the dish is fine.  You can't eat around a bell pepper - they pollute the entire dish.  

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I call them "polluters".  They flavor everything they are cooked with.  With a lot of ingredients (like white button mushrooms) you can eat around them and the dish is fine.  You can't eat around a bell pepper - they pollute the entire dish.  

Exactly. My aunt put them in her spaghetti sauce, and that’s all you could taste 🤢.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RWood said:

Exactly. My aunt put them in her spaghetti sauce, and that’s all you could taste 🤢.

My MIL does something really sweet - when she makes spaghetti sauce she makes to the point of putting in the bell peppers and puts some aside for me before proceeding with the rest of the cooking.  I love her version of sauce and can't seem to replicate it, so it's really a nice thing for her to do.  She also does it with her gazpacho (also leaving out the hot peppers in mine).  ❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On the 8th of March 1997, I moved from Xi'an, where I had been staying in hotel style accommodation, to Hunan hundreds of miles away. It was all very strange and a totally different culture from what I'd become used to but nice to have my own apartment and kitchen again. The only thing that upset me was that there was no 肉夹馍 (ròu jiā mó), which had kept me alive for the previous year.

But it had three redeeming features:

1) 湖南辣妹 (hú nán là mèi). This is used to refer to Hunan women, especially the younger unmarried variety and literally means Hunan Hot Sister(s). It carries all the innuendo that has in English both referring to their love of spicy food and their physical allure. It is also the name used to refer to the British girl pop combo, the Spice Girls. Every day in Hunan, for professional reasons, I was required to spend time in a lecture hall filled with around one hundred examples of these beautiful creatures in their twenties. Shit job, I know, but someone had to do it.

2) Spicy food. Hunan has the reputation of having the hottest food in China, hence one meaning of the previous. I loved and still love it. The Hunan people consider Sichuan to be full of irredeemable wimps on the spice front.

3) A TOTAL LACK OF GBPs. It took me a while to notice – I wasn’t looking for the wretched things – but they just didn’t have the things. Chilli peppers by the truckload but none of these insults to the capsicum clan. Of course, if they had been in possession, I wouldn’t have bought them anyway, but the total non-availability meant no one, no restaurant or friend could sneak them into my repast. Bliss. Looking back, I realise Xi’an didn’t have them either but as I wasn’t cooking here, so I hadn’t noticed.

Two years later, I moved again to Guangxi where I’ve been now for twenty-four years Unfortunately, they do have the miserable things here. They are a feature of Cantonese cuisine and Guangxi was, in the past, part of the same province as Guangdong, home of Cantonese food, my least favourite Chinese style. Xi means ‘west’ and ‘dong' means ‘east’ denoting the two parts the original province split into.

So I have to tread carefully, avoiding green bells and yellow kernels from Hades. It’s a hard life.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The only thing that upset me was that there was no 肉夹馍 (ròu jiā mó), which had kept me alive for the previous year.

Could you please provide a translation of the object?

I don't know what rou jia mo means but going by the picture it doesn't look like it means mean green bell peppers .

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

12 minutes ago, Arey said:

I don't know what rou jia mo means but going by the picture it doesn't look like it means mean green bell peppers .

The link I gave explains what they are and the whole point is they have nothing to do with GBPs.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'm not very fond of them.  I will eat them if they are cut very small and thoroughly cooked.  They're not so offensive to me that I can't pick them out of a dish and enjoy the food.  I wonder how much of the dislike of green peppers is supertaster related.  I don't like most bitter foods.  

32 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I'm not very fond of them.  I will eat them if they are cut very small and thoroughly cooked.  They're not so offensive to me that I can't pick them out of a dish and enjoy the food.  I wonder how much of the dislike of green peppers is supertaster related.  I don't like most bitter foods.  

I like bitter . It is the return burplet all day I disike.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran across this from Gene Weingarten yesterday—coincidentally on the second anniversary of its publication in one of his columns: 

It overwhelms everything with its nasty, rancid presence. Add cooked green peppers to anything, and you have a new, crappier dish. Coq au vin de bourgogne becomes “green pepper with chicken chunks.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer