• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Bell Pepper Haters - This One's For You

weinoo

In the NY Times, an article entitled A Stir-Fry to Convert Green Bell Pepper Skeptics aims to win over the green bell pepper haters. To whit:

“The only pepper I cannot abide is a green pepper,” the cookbook author Nigella Lawson once wrote, aptly calling out the fruit’s bitter, undeveloped flavor.

“In an emergency,” she recently told me, “I can eat grilled or pan-cooked green bell peppers, as the heat and char give them a more balanced flavor, but they do really still taste underripe to me.”

The article. 

And recipe.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I saw this.

almost had a seizure and canceled my subscription.

pure &$&#$(&#&$*)^(%

the only emergency is getting your head examined 

for bringing a GBP into your home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

I'm ambivalent about GBPs, and will tolerate them in moderation.

They aren't  an attraction in any dish.

But they are not a  cilantro-grade problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@gfweb 

is there a ' get your head examined ' unit near you ?

1)   """   GBPs, and will tolerate them in moderation.  """

2) '''  They aren't  an attraction in any dish '''

therefore :

3)  So  , why tolerate an unattractive dish ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

only the best .

I have consulted w MC  

for a second opinion from time to time

his only input has been :

" does any of this affect FFishPate , at the crack of dawn ?'

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

I saw this.

almost had a seizure and canceled my subscription.

pure &$&#$(&#&$*)^(%

the only emergency is getting your head examined 

for bringing a GBP into your home.

I agree.  And if in such an emergency, a better ingredient, imo, than a GBP is a green goat horn chilli - only mildly spicy but a lot more fresh flavor and none of the unattractive GBP stuff...

• Like 2

I also spotted the recipe and, taking a leap of faith, bookmarked it. Some time in the not-too-distant future, after Cubanelle peppers arrive at a nearby farm market, I'll take one for the team and give it a go. I also use Cubanelles in my gazpacho (Julia Moskin's NYT recipe), to no ill effect. 

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

No real hate here but would not ever purchase a green pepper. Not a fan. Last Fall half dozen came in my CSA box. Ugh. Roasted with a few big onions and a few whole heads of garlic. ... a few hatch chilis. Caramelized to shit show. Nice with sausage. 

I saw the NYT recipe but did not look. (baby chef). Not a fan of his creations/recipes.  

I use poblanos when i want similar in a recipe.

• Like 1

The classic (NY style) sausage and peppers is a pile of cooked GBP and onion, with grilled sausage, on a good sturdy roll. Maybe all the sausage fat tempers the bitter flavor?

I'm ambivalent about them (will eat, but prefer red or yellow bells), and if it is grilling season, they are OK if the skins are blackened/removed.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

if given a choice :

a GBP  ( any way you want , to get it over with )

or green poblano  ( exactly the same way , as above )

Q.E.D.

I love green chili peppers , BTW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

The classic (NY style) sausage and peppers is a pile of cooked GBP and onion, with grilled sausage, on a good sturdy roll.

Exactly! I don't think they're griddling red or yellow bells (and my advice is to not ask them if they have any)! 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I have never been fond of green bell pepper, but until I joined eG I had no idea how many people hated them. I will use one when cooking red beans and rice because it seems like heresy not to. After a couple of hours cooking with the beans they pretty much disappear. Otherwise I have little use for them. Raw? No way.

• Like 1

I'm surprised at you all...

The "holy trinity" in Cajun cuisine and Louisiana Creole cuisine is the base for several dishes in the regional cuisines of Louisiana and consists of onions, bell peppers and celery. The preparation of Cajun/Creole dishes such as crawfish étouffée, gumbo, and jambalaya all start from this base.

The holy trinity is the Cajun and Louisiana Creole variant of mirepoix; traditional mirepoix is two parts onions, one part carrots, and one part celery, whereas the holy trinity is typically one or two parts onions, one part green bell pepper, and one part celery.[2] It is also an evolution of the Spanish sofrito, which contains onion, garlic, bell peppers, and tomatoes.[3]

But go on hating...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_trinity_(cooking)

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

37 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Blackened (under broiler or on gas stovetop), peeled and seeded, EVOO, cracked pepper, Maldon salt.    You don't know what you're missing!

Oh I do because it will repeat fom my digestive tract for hours ;)

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm not a hater.  I like them. This thread is making me want grilled sausage with peppers and onions 😋

Or squid with black beans and green peppers 😋

Or GBP diced up in a Western omelet or egg sandwich 😋

GS with P and O is a favorite

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1