• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Bell Pepper Haters - This One's For You

weinoo

We planted a couple GBP plants this year and they actually have been producing peppers (years past they didn't do a thing).  They are so sweet and juicy.  Nothing compared to the grocery store ones.

I've steeled myself for the wrath that I've brought on to myself.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

There are some cultivars, like the aptly named Permagreen and Staysgreen, that retain their color when they ripen. That's less common, though.

I expect they're primarily of interest to commercial growers who need to supply consistently green peppers in quantity over a full growing season.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

All capsicums start out green. A few stay that way, most turn red, then some yellow, then all dark brown to black as they rot. They are essentially the same, just like button mushrooms, portabella mushrooms and cremini are all the same species at different ages.

The only difference is the mushrooms are edible, whereas...

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

How do the haters feel about poblanos? 

My issue as I've stated with the green bells is the return burps for hours later versus flavor.  Green poblanos are skirting the no zone for me. Even the red and yellow bells can give me the issue. I am a selective not picky eater. The local 99cent store used to often sell bags of the mini colored sweet peppers. I'd give thema chance cuz they are adorable and sweet.but... Maybe it is partly an experiential taste memory thing. Once burned, twice shy. Stepmother cooked soething with red bells the other day and I had to open door and windows in my "office". If someone else has cooked for me or in a restaurant with good food I just go with the flow.

Any horticulturalists or gardeners here that can explain why the bags of mini peppers sold in most US supermarkets contain red, yellow and orange peppers, but no green ones? Are the minis a different variety that doesn’t have a green variant?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Midlife said:

Any horticulturalists or gardeners here that can explain why the bags of mini peppers sold in most US supermarkets contain red, yellow and orange peppers, but no green ones? Are the minis a different variety that doesn’t have a green variant?

There are seed company photos online of mini peppers that have green ones in the mix and photos that do not.  I haven't been able to find a description that says whether the fruits pass thru a green phase. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midlife said:

They are just a small cultivar, fully ripened. Their mature stage is either yellow, orange or red and they have gone through the green stage successfully. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 3:18 AM, liuzhou said:

What @Duvelsays. All capsicums start out green and go through colour changes as they mature.

I get it. Thanks. So my next question would be - why don’t those mini pepper packs have any green ones in them?  Personally, I don’t like the taste of green ones, but all the markets sell the large ones in all colors. 

Edited by Midlife (log)

8 minutes ago, Midlife said:

I get it. Thanks. So my next question would be - why don’t those mini pepper packs have any green ones in them?  Personally, I don’t like the taste of green ones, but all the markets sell the large ones in all colors. 

They are marketed as sweet. I don't the green guys are sweet at their stage. Plus they are sold in bags. Don't think they'd want customers digging thru bags to get mostly red/yellow. mosAlso may be an ease of harvesting issue for a small item. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 8:18 PM, liuzhou said:

What @Duvelsays. All capsicums start out green and go through colour changes as they mature.

Hungarian wax peppers (I think "banana peppers" are the same thing) start off as tiny green things but once they grow longer than a couple of cm, they turn yellow and yellow is the immature colour as they grow to full size and start turning red. They are generally eaten in the yellow immature stage.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

As do all  peppers.

You apparently missed the bit about yellow being the unripe colour for essentially all of its development. That is the important point about how they are different from most other capsicums. Bell peppers grow up green to their full size then turn red or yellow.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

56 minutes ago, haresfur said:

You apparently missed the bit about yellow being the unripe colour for essentially all of its development

I've been growing my own peppers (not bell) for almost 50 years. I didn't miss anything. I merey repeated that they all start out small and green.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto