• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I just broke out our panini press a week ago and we've enjoyed a few paninis (is that the plural?) since. I don't use it during the summer for some reason. Your sausage gravy with biscuits intrugues me. Can you believe that I have neither made it nor eaten it in my whole life? It's just not a thing in these parts but I think we would like it for a "breakfast for dinner" meal so I'll put it on my "to try" list.

I think you would like it.  Very much comfort food around here.  Can you get Jimmy Dean sausage there?  That's what I use.  Just brown however much sausage you want.  Add a TSB of flour or two.   Mix.  Let the flour cook a bit.  Then add a glug or two of milk and stir.  Keep stirring and adding milk until it's gravy--add more milk if it's too thick.  Lot's of black pepper is needed, too :) 

• Like 4

Japanese movie night …

Individual bowls of “niku dofu” (my version) and to share: shiitake with wakame, cucumber with yuzu, karage (from yesterday), eihire (dried skate wings), curry senbei and some onigiri.

IMG_1352.thumb.jpeg.3b2abdba90f7b85e2f2edb2f5c0de1fd.jpeg

Accompanying sake …

IMG_1355.thumb.jpeg.fb334709cedcfc76b0a086ef2bd121dd.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching A Whisker Away … nice movie (especially if you are into cats) 👍

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Japanese movie night …

Individual bowls of “niku dofu” (my version) and to share: shiitake with wakame, cucumber with yuzu, karage (from yesterday), eihire (dried skate wings), curry senbei and some onigiri.

Accompanying sake …

Enjoyed while watching A Whisker Away … nice movie (especially if you are into cats) 👍

I can't wait to move in with you guys.  Good to know I can bring my cats 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think you would like it.  Very much comfort food around here.  Can you get Jimmy Dean sausage there?  That's what I use.  Just brown however much sausage you want.  Add a TSB of flour or two.   Mix.  Let the flour cook a bit.  Then add a glug or two of milk and stir.  Keep stirring and adding milk until it's gravy--add more milk if it's too thick.  Lot's of black pepper is needed, too :) 

Thanks Shelby, now it's definitely on my list. I can't get Jimmy Dean in our town but my husband and I were saying that now the ban on bringing poultry from the US to Canada has been lifted, we should go down around American Thanksgiving to get a turkey. We are only about 6 miles from the Canada/US border but have not been down since covid other than my husband zipping just across the line to fill up his truck with diesel. I'm making a "US Shopping List" and will add Jimmy Dean to it. In Bellingham, the biggest US city close to us, there is a large Mexican population so I love perusing the big stores  and the smaller Mexican groceries for Mexican ingredients. (Thanks @Tropicalsenior  for the very extensive Spanish/English cooking terms dictionary that you so kindly shared with me.) There is a great little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that we love that is conveniently close to Trader Joes so I am looking forward to a great shopping/eating day soon. Said restaurant has the most amazing chili rellenos that are my gold standard and they are about 6.50 US!

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks Shelby, now it's definitely on my list. I can't get Jimmy Dean in our town but my husband and I were saying that now the ban on bringing poultry from the US to Canada has been lifted, we should go down around American Thanksgiving to get a turkey. We are only about 6 miles from the Canada/US border but have not been down since covid other than my husband zipping just across the line to fill up his truck with diesel. I'm making a "US Shopping List" and will add Jimmy Dean to it. In Bellingham, the biggest US city close to us, there is a large Mexican population so I love perusing the big stores  and the smaller Mexican groceries for Mexican ingredients. (Thanks @Tropicalsenior  for the very extensive Spanish/English cooking terms dictionary that you so kindly shared with me.) There is a great little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that we love that is conveniently close to Trader Joes so I am looking forward to a great shopping/eating day soon. Said restaurant has the most amazing chili rellenos that are my gold standard and they are about 6.50 US!

I should also add my TBS are heaping--so for about half a roll of that sausage I do 2 very heaping TBS.

Gai_yang_202311.thumb.jpg.608ff94a1180f4956d68c504e969b2fe.jpg

Gai yang (roasted chicken) marinated with ginger, garlic, cilantro, white pepper, fish sauce, soy sauce, coconut milk, and bourbon.

Cultural mash-up rice with coconut milk, turkey stock, sliced ginger, turmeric, cloves, and green cardamom

Mrs. C made broccoli and apple salad with pistachios

World’s smallest cucumber relish (we only had half a cuke)

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Japanese movie night …

Accompanying sake …

For "Japanese movie night" I was more hoping for Ringu.  Can't quarrel with sake though.  Dinner here last night was dumplings on a bed of ken-cut cabbage, steamed in my new bamboo steamer and German wok.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks to @btbyrd and this post 

I made some egg rolls.  Didn't have time to run out for plums so it is a sweet & sour sauce (without red coloring) and some Panang Beef Curry to go with them.  Little bit of a mash up, but it hit the spot.

ALWJJVZ.jpg 

Also have to thank @KennethT for the coconut milk recommendation (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  It is SO much better than the canned stuff.  Yes my curry is a bit thin, but the cook down and separation of oils when frying the curry paste was stellar.  I left a little too much of the milk out for the end, but the whole family LOVED it.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

58 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Thanks to @btbyrd and this post 

I made some egg rolls.  Didn't have time to run out for plums so it is a sweet & sour sauce (without red coloring) and some Panang Beef Curry to go with them.  Little bit of a mash up, but it hit the spot.

ALWJJVZ.jpg 

Also have to thank @KennethT for the coconut milk recommendation (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  It is SO much better than the canned stuff.  Yes my curry is a bit thin, but the cook down and separation of oils when frying the curry paste was stellar.  I left a little too much of the milk out for the end, but the whole family LOVED it.

Glad you liked it.  I have to put Panang curry back in the rotation - I haven't made it (or any Thai food) in a long time as I've been stuck on Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia lately with some Sichuan thrown in.  Other than the Nyonya/Indonesian curries I made from scratch, my wife's favorite is the Panang. 

I find the boxed coconut milk freezes ok too.  Some times I'll only use a half of a box, so I'll freeze the other half in a zip lock back squeezing all the air out.  I eitehr use the other half altogether or sometimes I break a piece off if I only need a Tablespoon or so.

• Thanks 3

Couscous with sautéed zucchini, red onion, mini peppers, topped with merguez sausage. Sausage recipe adapted from Jacques Pepin, mine had a slightly greater amount of lamb to hot sausage, there was no need for additional harissa sauce at table. A sprinkling of chives and mint gave a fresh taste to the plate. This sausage recipe made enough for another meal. ( J. Pepin has a short video showing technique and ingredients.)

IMG_5015.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Sunday dinner of lamb loin chops marinated in olive oil, garlic, mustard, rosemary, oregano and pepper. Roasted stuffed tomatoes (chard sauteed with garlic and the chopped tomato contents with added parmesan and bread crumbs). I wouldn't top them with mozzarella next time.

Enjoyed with a green salad, rice pilaf and a pinot noir.

LambChopsandRoastedStuffedTomato.thumb.JPG.ab31da6ce6fdda82647ec01a232f23ee.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

24 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Sunday dinner of lamb loin chops marinated in olive oil, garlic, mustard, rosemary, oregano and pepper. Roasted stuffed tomatoes (chard sauteed with garlic and the chopped tomato contents with added parmesan and bread crumbs). I wouldn't top them with mozzarella next time.

Enjoyed with a green salad, rice pilaf and a pinot noir.

Mozz got too chewy or ? Looks like a nice meal. 

5 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Sirloin, cooked SV then seared. Served with shaved Brussels Sprouts in balsamic and honey.  Very tasty.  With a glass of  Lodi red blend.

sirloin-brus10.jpg.b015e7fcff41c1390b56a6b46bb1ef15.jpg

Do you buy pre-shaved br sprouts or risk your knuckles