• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Once a summer we do a turkey burger feast, just squeezed in for the last (unofficial) weekend of summer. NJ tomatoes, coleslaw, refrigerator pickles, grilled sweet onion, avocado, cracked wheat buns (nothing special, they just had a weird wrinkly texture). I grated some zucchini and squeezed it pretty dry to add to the ground turkey, it kept them very moist. Some panko in the mix helped hold them together.

burgerfest.jpg

• Like 17

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, btbyrd said:

A little rib roast action.

2B487D2B-37B1-4219-A4E1-0E35B711BE8B.thumb.jpeg.2b958e48b6330793573d5801b5d9584c.jpeg

High temp to start then low and slow?
I am cooking a 5-rib bone-in prime tomorrow. Thinking 500F for 45 min, then 2 hours @250 for internal temp of 130. Little granddaughters request medium rare!

Had lamb chops tonight: sous vide 131F for 3 hours then quick blast on the BBQ. Eaten with mint sauce, Basmati rice, and peas that I shelled and froze in the summer.

LambChops2038.jpg.0fc63c56135edf3e8b6af5c7128f90f5.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

High temp to start then low and slow?
I am cooking a 5-rib bone-in prime tomorrow. Thinking 500F for 45 min, then 2 hours @250 for internal temp of 130. Little granddaughters request medium rare!

I sear it off in a heavy pan and then SV for 6-10 hours depending on the schedule and temperature. For 130, I like to go longer to help tenderize any potential tough stuff. Take it out of the bag, blot it dry, pop it in the fridge for like 15 minutes, and then put it in the hottest oven with the most convection I can find. It's such an easy workflow timewise, especially since you don't really have to let it rest.

When doing it conventionally, I usually do as you've described with a hot oven start and then a slow wind down. But I sometimes pre-sear and chill before putting it in the oven, as this helps get a really good crust. And I usually pull it from the oven in the low-mid 120's so the carryover cooking will bring the core temp up to medium rare while it rests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

尖椒葱爆要花 (jiān jiāo cōng bào yāo huā), quick fried pig’s kidney ‘flowers’ with scallions and chillies. Also contained onion, vinegar and soy sauce. The ‘flowers’ refers to the cut on the kidney, which wasn’t done well in my dish. The second picture is from listing on the app I use to order food and shows how the kidney should be cut. What I received was just cut into plain strips. Didn't have any effect on the taste, though.

kidney.thumb.jpg.576edec523552ac953195444e46cc987.jpg

My meal (served with rice).

meituan.thumb.jpg.4baacda297859c01c0782432ce4af3fd.jpg

Same dish as shown on the app.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Linguinette cooked in chicken broth with sautéed green/yellow zucchini, shallot, peperoncino, capers and fresh herbs from the garden. A couple of tablespoons of lemon pesto was added along with grated pecorino.

Dessert was pear, hazelnut chocolate cake.

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I sear it off in a heavy pan and then SV for 6-10 hours depending on the schedule and temperature. For 130, I like to go longer to help tenderize any potential tough stuff. Take it out of the bag, blot it dry, pop it in the fridge for like 15 minutes, and then put it in the hottest oven with the most convection I can find. It's such an easy workflow timewise, especially since you don't really have to let it rest.

When doing it conventionally, I usually do as you've described with a hot oven start and then a slow wind down. But I sometimes pre-sear and chill before putting it in the oven, as this helps get a really good crust. And I usually pull it from the oven in the low-mid 120's so the carryover cooking will bring the core temp up to medium rare while it rests.

Thanks for the reply.
No time nor a container big enough to sous vide today. The 11.4 lb roast is coming to room temp now. Will go in @500 at 2pm, then low at 3 to be ready for supper at 6:30.
Yorkies will be done beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner yesterday after a longish day of gardening and other chores, dog sitting and working with harvest from the garden.

The discussion on dark leafy greens resulted in making a spanakopita filling from onion, chard leaves, radish greens, beet greens, dill, garlic and feta.

Omelet with the above filling, tomato and cucumber salad and peaches with a dollop of habanero applesauce. Glass of Pinot Grigio to accompany.

DSCN1127.thumb.JPG.edc9a8be09b327e1d45dd170f931f2e7.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@CantCookStillTry – that lamb roast meal is gorgeous.  I adore lamb and, for some reason, never seem to make it.  I need to remedy that!  Your Yorkies look perfect.  I would 100% roll up some of that lamb into a Yorkie, drown it in gravy and TUCK IN!

@btbyrd – that roast is one of the most delicious things I’ve seen in a LONG time.  Between you and @CantCookStillTry, I’m now craving a roast dinner – and a roast chicken ain’t gonna cut it.  I want RED MEAT!

We celebrated Labor Day a day early with a potluck cookout at the home of some friends.  We had brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, slaw, potato salad, deviled eggs, chips, and purchased fudge and lemon chess pies.  We simmered the brats here and took them over and I made slaw and beans.  Jessica made deviled eggs. I didn’t take any pictures that day. 

Last night, because we had a lovely tomato that needed eating, this was dinner:

IMG_4260.thumb.jpg.1f2c2580e68672ac9aa0fbf25cff850a.jpg

Classic summer sandwich with the addition of cheese (deli American, please).  Plate:

IMG_4261.jpg.0f80f7b8c61d82b36a84cefe93d66b0d.jpg

Corn (we’re still getting good corn, too), sandwich, neighbor’s smoked pork belly (amazingly good), my slaw and beans – both leftover from our early Labor Day potluck.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:45 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Norm Matthews – I loved the looks of your Salisbury Steaks!  I’ve gone to your blog and copied the recipe!  What was the other dish that wasn’t mac and cheese or peas?  The one with the gravy on it?

Thank you. I hope you like it.  Everyone here who has tried it says it's good.  The other side dish was from a package mix for mashed potatoes with cheese and garlic.  Neither of us liked it.   

• Thanks 1

Prime Rib Roast was a sale at Sobeys, $9.99 / lb. It was 11.6 lbs, nicely trimmed.

It was brought to room temp, buttered mixed with freshly ground pepper, Kosher salt, and into 500F oven for 60 minutes. Reduced temp to 225 for 2.5 hours.
We had air-fryer perogies, baby taters, carrots, Yorkies, quick pickles. Think I was cooking for the usual 13 when we only had 8! Missed a d-i-l, 2 granddaughters, a daughter and s-i-l. A big chunk of meat vacuum sealed into the freezer for quick meals next week when I will be doing fall garden clean-up.

RibRoast2044.jpg.47166d5b37e9bd940e3187c087b75f05.jpgRibRoast2054.jpg.6c786e6b06b7e884e4081e94a61f1833.jpg

aurfryerperogies2050.jpg.8d8f5fd8b9bc93d7d4b829163c595a41.jpg

'

And another  big Canadian Cheddar Cheese Apple Crisp and vanilla ice cream for dessert

CheddarCheeseAppleCrisp2040.jpg.10ebeea1fe1115416ee61800a11cbfac.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Dejahnice looking meal…..again.  Well done.

we had homemade vegetarian spring rolls cooked in the CSO, hot and sour soup from the timeless Times International Cookbook and a dressed watercress salad.  

Thanks for the watercress reminder. Such a nice peppery counterpoint to some meals, We get all arugula caught up and forget our old classics. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

Prime Rib Roast was a sale at Sobeys, $9.99 / lb. It was 11.6 lbs, nicely trimmed.

It was brought to room temp, buttered mixed with freshly ground pepper, Kosher salt, and into 500F oven for 60 minutes. Reduced temp to 225 for 2.5 hours.
We had air-fryer perogies, baby taters, carrots, Yorkies, quick pickles. Think I was cooking for the usual 13 when we only had 8! Missed a d-i-l, 2 granddaughters, a daughter and s-i-l. A big chunk of meat vacuum sealed into the freezer for quick meals next week when I will be doing fall garden clean-up.

RibRoast2044.jpg.47166d5b37e9bd940e3187c087b75f05.jpgRibRoast2054.jpg.6c786e6b06b7e884e4081e94a61f1833.jpg

aurfryerperogies2050.jpg.8d8f5fd8b9bc93d7d4b829163c595a41.jpg

'

And another  big Canadian Cheddar Cheese Apple Crisp and vanilla ice cream for dessert

CheddarCheeseAppleCrisp2040.jpg.10ebeea1fe1115416ee61800a11cbfac.jpg

hiii looks good all of that. Pretty clean, well done

• Thanks 1

Flicking through the delivery app again, I spotted something of a surprise. 惠灵顿牛 排 (huì líng dùn niú pái), Beef Wellington! I’m tempted to try it, just to see if it’s up to Mr. Ramsay’s standard, but it is twice the price of my usual dinners even before adding any sides and I just know it won’t be anything like that picture.

wellington.thumb.jpg.f90bce97d7e84269267aeb8a91c7bc58.jpg

So, I passed for now, finally settling on 黄咖喱牛腩套饭 (huáng gā lí niú nǎn tào fàn), yellow curry beef brisket set meal. It was adequate but not great. The beef was somewhat tough and the potato predominated.

beef.thumb.jpg.3033d8eaba5b5398ffc29c5ec125879a.jpg

Back to the drawing board.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

RoastChickenandGravySeptember5th2023.thumb.jpg.64ef197b2a02918b818a3229291faa9c.jpg

Roasted a little chicken early in the morning

and made the gravy. Netted three cups of gravy from this little bird. 

RoastChickenandGravySeptember5th20234.thumb.jpg.ae8642188161654f5e259115633d1f33.jpg

Baked a loaf of homestyle white on Monday. 

RoastChickenandGravyHotchickensandwichSeptember5th2023.thumb.jpg.9a7854e644e82847478352a082b56ae7.jpg

Last night's dinner. Hot chicken sandwiches with fries, gravy and canned peas. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

15 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Chipotle_chix_spinach_202309.thumb.jpg.33dde323fcb72c001e6a350845fb06dc.jpg

Broiled chipotle chicken with spinach cream and Mexican red rice

Interesting combo as always. On the red rice - a number of years ago I started seeing  Knorr I think product that was tomato broth.Sure you use a complex blend but is your red coming from tomato paste or puree or? 

• Thanks 1