• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Venison_sausage_202308.thumb.jpg.7bbfdd714820fc07c14cb1a288a1e1c3.jpg

Venison sausage from BIL in Wisconsin steamed and served with stone-ground mustard. Delicious. Excellent corn. which I had with butter and Ancho chile powder.

Ripe plantains fried in butter, and mushrooms with epazote, roasted Poblano chile, onion, garlic, and Serrano chiles. First time I ever recall finding epazote at the store, and I hope it is not the last.

Joint cooking effort between Mrs. C (sausage, corn) and myself.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Tonight, I revisited an old friend but with a twist.

shaanxiroujiamo.thumb.jpg.49ed8faae8bc3984eab2769241e29e84.jpg

These are 羊肉夹馍 (yáng ròu jiá mó), a variation on the type I normally make and eat. Like mine, these  originated in 陕西省  (shǎn xī shěng), Sha'anxi province in west-central China. Much of the province's population is Muslim and so eschews pork. Their meat of choice is mainly mutton / lamb / goat* or beef. Order rou jia mo in Beijing or Shanghai and you'll probably get pork.

These are sheep or goat. I tend to make them with beef.

Apart from the meat being non-standard, the buns (mó) are also different. Instead of a bread-like bun, these are more a flaky pastry. I prefer the bread type, probably because they're what I first encountered when I lived in Sha'anxi's capital, Xi'an. But I like them all.

* As with many languages and cultures there is no difference between these meats in people's minds unless it's essential to differentiate. In Mandarin Chinese, 羊 (yáng)cover all three unless it's absolutely imperative to specify say, goat. That would be 山羊 (shān yáng, literally ; 'mountain sheep'.) I've come across the same phenonomen in India and Jamaica among other places.

Here is the dedicated rou jia mo topic.

These

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 hours ago, Duvel said:

Correct …

We are carrying a tent, three sleeping bags, a huge iso mattress, theee sets of clothing plus the rainsuits, toiletries, power banks, cooking gear, tools, … and all on two bikes. Every gram counts 🤗

Guessing there's lots of opportunities to resupply food and beverages along the route.

Especially beverages 😊

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I revisited an old friend

Thank you. I know what I am making for dinner tonight. I have the perfect piece of beef for these and I was wondering what to do with it. I've used your recipe many times and I love it.

• Like 1

Last night's dinner was steak kabobs.

Here's the recipe I used....They were Damned Delicious!

(recipe from DamnDelicious.com)

KOREAN BEEF KABOBS

2 pounds thick-cut New York strip steak
½ small pear, peeled and coarsely grated
¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

INSTRUCTIONS

Wrap steak in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Unwrap and slice across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices.
In a medium bowl, combine pear, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and gochujang. In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine soy sauce mixture and steak; marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the steak from the marinade.

Thread 2-3 slices steak onto skewers. Brush with vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Preheat grill to medium heat.
Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until charred and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight, I revisited an old friend but with a twist.

shaanxiroujiamo.thumb.jpg.49ed8faae8bc3984eab2769241e29e84.jpg

These are 羊肉夹馍 (yáng ròu jiá mó), a variation on the type I normally make and eat. Like mine, these  originated in 陕西省  (shǎn xī shěng), Sha'anxi province in west-central China. Much of the province's population is Muslim and so eschews pork. Their meat of choice is mainly mutton / lamb / goat* or beef. Order rou jia mo in Beijing or Shanghai and you'll probably get pork.

These are sheep or goat. I tend to make them with beef.

Apart from the meat being non-standard, the buns (mó) are also different. Instead of a bread-like bun, these are more a flaky pastry. I prefer the bread type, probably because they're what I first encountered when I lived in Sha'anxi's capital, Xi'an. But I like them all.

* As with many languages and cultures there is no difference between these meats in people's minds unless it's essential to differentiate. In Mandarin Chinese, 羊 (yáng)cover all three unless it's absolutely imperative to specify say, goat. That would be 山羊 (shān yáng, literally ; 'mountain sheep'.) I've come across the same phenonomen in India and Jamaica among other places.

Here is the dedicated rou jia mo topic.

These

Did you make them or get them delivered?  If you made them, congratulations!

Just now, liuzhou said:

These were delivered. I'm still not up to cooking.

I just noticed the printed wrapper (how did I miss that?).  I was hoping this was your inaugural "return to cooking" dish but I completely understand needing more time to heal/recover.  I know it doesn't help as I'm halfway around the world but I'm pulling for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I just noticed the printed wrapper (how did I miss that?).  I was hoping this was your inaugural "return to cooking" dish but I completely understand needing more time to heal/recover.  I know it doesn't help as I'm halfway around the world but I'm pulling for you!

Thanks. The wrapper contained a second jia mo.

• Like 1

Longest stage of our Lake Constance tour - all in Switzerland. The cycling pathway here runs frequently just next to the lake, so we had great views.

After arrival some local crisps as appetizers („swiss herbs flavor“), before heading out to the nearby marina for an early dinner …

IMG_0366.thumb.jpeg.79fc7540b598ded09daa2eeb6255444f.jpeg

IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.2b0f636af80af4288fd2c4b5f0c2fdfd.jpeg

Lager from the nearby town …

IMG_0367.thumb.jpeg.105fdc908a927500e0a3fffb4078463c.jpeg

The local Egli for me: fresh, simply breaded & fried.

IMG_0372.thumb.jpeg.51c3eadba8f4a99e6d78910a92ec38c7.jpeg

DW & little one opted for Cordon Bleu, which was probably the best I have ever had. Quality of the meat, but also the ham & the cheese was excellent. At almost 45€ it was also the most expensive 😉

IMG_0375.thumb.jpeg.f512da13c74afc4758403dcb1c52df43.jpeg

Of course, some Apfelstrudel for the two as well …

IMG_0378.thumb.jpeg.462901e71a5d8b6d232cd9cf8d2ee599.jpeg

On our way back to the camping we enjoyed some more lake views …

IMG_0380.thumb.jpeg.4465356ce7bfaae47023a53647921f2d.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

35 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Longest stage of our Lake Constance tour - all in Switzerland. The cycling pathway here runs frequently just next to the lake, so we had great views.

After arrival some local crisps as appetizers („swiss herbs flavor“), before heading out to the nearby marina for an early dinner …

IMG_0366.thumb.jpeg.79fc7540b598ded09daa2eeb6255444f.jpeg

IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.2b0f636af80af4288fd2c4b5f0c2fdfd.jpeg

Lager from the nearby town …

IMG_0367.thumb.jpeg.105fdc908a927500e0a3fffb4078463c.jpeg

The local Egli for me: fresh, simply breaded & fried.

IMG_0372.thumb.jpeg.51c3eadba8f4a99e6d78910a92ec38c7.jpeg

DW & little one opted for Cordon Bleu, which was probably the best I have ever had. Quality of the meat, but also the ham & the cheese was excellent. At almost 45€ it was also the most expensive 😉

IMG_0375.thumb.jpeg.f512da13c74afc4758403dcb1c52df43.jpeg

Of course, some Apfelstrudel for the two as well …

IMG_0378.thumb.jpeg.462901e71a5d8b6d232cd9cf8d2ee599.jpeg

On our way back to the camping we enjoyed some more lake views …

IMG_0380.thumb.jpeg.4465356ce7bfaae47023a53647921f2d.jpeg

C’est beaucoup d’argent! 

$50 USD for cordon bleu but with that view and how much it impressed you, it looks and sounds well worth it! 

Tomato tart with tapenade, ricotta with goat cheese; thyme, marjoram flowers from the garden.

The tomatoes were brushed with basil oil when finished.

We had corn on the cob as a side.

Apricot amaretti 6” cake, the same recipe as the Blueberry Brunch Cake upthread, we had it with apricot gelato.

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Last night we splurged on fresh wild halibut. Has anyone else ever made "Fish in Crazy Water?" I used the pared down NYT recipe, The original I think is from Marcella Hazan and there seem to endless variations, using more or less vegetables. A little surprising the NYT recipe doesn't call for white wine along with tomatoes and water for the poaching liquid; I would add a splash next time. But with halibut it was really delicious. @Ann_T, with a crusty fresh baked baguette for slopping up the sauce this seems like the easiest most lovely way to have a great piece of fish. Although I'm always impressed by your halibut fish and chips.

• Like 8

I had a new to me fish tonight, ocean perch. The fillets have a beautiful red skin (similar to snapper) and the flesh was sweet and moist. I cooked it simply on a piece of foil on the grill, skin side down. Just brushed the flesh with a little oil and some basic seasonings, it lifted nicely off the skin when done. Red sweet potato (par cooked in micro, finished on grill) and Greek salad with lots of fresh dill, got some nice NJ tomatoes.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Last night we splurged on fresh wild halibut. Has anyone else ever made "Fish in Crazy Water?" I used the pared down NYT recipe, The original I think is from Marcella Hazan and there seem to endless variations, using more or less vegetables. A little surprising the NYT recipe doesn't call for white wine along with tomatoes and water for the poaching liquid; I would add a splash next time. But with halibut it was really delicious. @Ann_T, with a crusty fresh baked baguette for slopping up the sauce this seems like the easiest most lovely way to have a great piece of fish. Although I'm always impressed by your halibut fish and chips.

I've never heard of "Fish in Crazy Water" so I looked it up.  I think I will have to make it this way the next time we have halibut. 

SausageandMushroomPIzzaAugust6th20232.thumb.jpg.cc410ab427f3d6bf171ed9137143e803.jpg

Made an Italian sausage and mushroom pizza for dinner tonight.
SausageandMushroomPizzaAugust6th20231.thumb.jpg.d6e8c06d1e5d797ab0347fd33d243ba5.jpg
Same day pizza dough. Made the dough this morning and left it on the counter for 8 hours.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

I keep thinking I should plate these delivery dinners and make them more attractive, but then I'd just create cleaning tasks which I'm not really up to, so I just eat them (in bed) from the delivery cartons.

dinner.thumb.jpg.c9c3ee3c332941286ec000ca281f0e45.jpg

Tonight, was 鲜香菇烧肉排 (xiān xiāng gū shāo ròu pái), fresh shiitake pork ribs. In Chinese menus, the first named ingredient predominates, so this has more mushrooms than ribs. It is possible for essentially the same dish to be on a menu twice (at two different prices). "Bitter Melon with Beef" and "Beef with Bitter Melon" both appear on the menu in one of my favourite spots.

ribsandshiitake.thumb.jpg.b196ddd57eaf99ade08e392c16bac7ed.jpg

The ribs were the smallest I've seen and as is customary with most rib dishes in China, had been chopped to bite sized, chopstick friendly pieces. They were buried among the shiitake. It was a tasty meal, accompanied by smacked cucumber and, as ever, rice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Had a guest for dinner last night and so I made tri-tip (SV then seared).  He requested medium-rare as opposed to our normal rare.  Served with roasted red and white baby potatoes and peas.

tt-pot-peas.jpg.28d37c3d093a88915444d0a0c5a285f9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Green Peppercorn Steak for dinner tonight.
Steak was a Sterling Silver NY York Strip that weight just over 17 oz. Big enough for Moe and I to share.
GreenPeppercornSteakAugust7th2023.thumb.jpg.bb2db8aa1b1343d28a60406f7119fe99.jpg
Served with Parisienne potatoes, sautéed cremini mushrooms and steamed carrots and asparagus.
Steak is always an easy worknight dinner.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 7