• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm not trying to be snarky at all - just curious - what makes  provolone and pineapple Hawaiian?  I understand the pineapple, but the provolone? Is that a German thing?

Hawaii in culinary Germany means pineapple plus cheese (and occasionally a Maraschino cherry), named after the legendary 1950‘s creation Toast Hawaii. You are free to choose your (melty) cheese, though Gouda would be the choice of most Germans. I had Provolone at hand …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just as I am getting utterly sick of eating only delivery meals and vowing never to touch another*, I strike gold and my faith in humanity is restored.

Tonight I found a new (to me) Sichuan place and ordered some 宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng, literally 'palace defense chicken cubes') known everywhere except China as Kung-po (or Kung-pao chicken).

gongbao.thumb.jpg.76621f7025c28977f0dad732e4f7010b.jpg

This contained the statutory chicken and peanuts as well as dried 朝天椒 (cháo tiān jiāo, 'pointing to heaven chillies'), 花椒 (huā jiāo Sichuan peppercorns), and cucumber. The contrasting flavours and textures were spot on.

I'm now studying their menu to see what else I can look forward to, perhaps 'husband and wife lung slices'.

* Not that I have any choice with a broken back!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm now studying their menu to see what else I can look forward to, perhaps 'husband and wife lung slices'.

That's a mind-boggling name from where I sit! What do you suppose it is? Glad you've found a promising new resource.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

That's a mind-boggling name from where I sit! What do you suppose it is? Glad you've found a promising new resource.

Oh I know what it is. I've eaten it many times. 夫妻肺片 (fū qī fèi piàn).

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

are the two halibuts noticeably different ?

caught at the same size , from high quality areas

expertly iced and handled 

to your pan ?

I have the feeling , although it might have no bearing on these

fishes 

the ' fishing ' on the coasts might be quit3e different.

• Like 1

A light-ish supper after having lunch out.

Whipped ricotta with pecorino and evoo on toasted baguette.

Tomatoes with St.Agur, grilled red and yellow peppers, all drizzled with a bit of olive oil and basil.

Blueberry/cherry tart with apricots.

IMG_2699.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Prior to a show last night, we had dinner at the "new" Pastis.  The original Pastis, a Keith McNally restaurant, had closed in 2014, and this one opened in 2019, now with both Keith and Stephen Starr as partners in the operation.

After cocktails and starters (nicely prepared fried artichokes)...

IMG_9891.thumb.jpeg.6f9733b3ba1e5f126f684f99de73aa87.jpeg

Significant Eater never met a cheeseburger she didn't like.  Fries, as always at a McNally restaurant, were stellar.

And my duck breast, often served too rare, was cooked to my medium spec, and was delicious...with cherries and sorrel.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

57 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Suffer the Atlantic halibut instead!? ;)

I've no problem with Atlantic halibut however:

i/ The fishery for halibut here has severely declined. It's not fished locally (where I can drive to buy).

ii/ I'll only purchase fish that I know where it's coming from. At the prices halibut commands there's a lot of shady sellers. I'd want to see the fish or at least the filets (with skin attached) my purchase if coming from.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

„I can see clearly now, the rain is gone“ - after the last days being rainy and somewhat cloudy, today was a lovely evening for an al fresco dinner …

Starting with (and accompanied by) a nice Valpolicella Ripasso

IMG_0240.thumb.jpeg.a1b6fff9113e9ed8d289d0903588dbb5.jpeg

Sous vide sirloin (3h@54oC), finished on the grill …

IMG_0242.thumb.jpeg.86d793a836fc9c7149ff5d375a81f460.jpeg

Served with creamed spinach, (commercial) potato croquettes and whipped blue cheese (here Saint Agur) butter …

IMG_0244.thumb.jpeg.ae149777d0f1160e41d4a1a965f1b108.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6

7 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

I've no problem with Atlantic halibut however:

i/ The fishery for halibut here has severely declined. It's not fished locally (where I can drive to buy).

ii/ I'll only purchase fish that I know where it's coming from. At the prices halibut commands there's a lot of shady sellers. I'd want to see the fish or at least the filets (with skin attached) my purchase if coming from.

Interesting.

I agree on all fronts.

I would have thought given your geography that you would have access to the docks and be able to source directly.  Perhaps my error.

Regardless, I am sure you are still spoiled rotten for shellfish ;)

I have fond memories of being out in NS as a kid, and having some of the most amazing scallops and lobster - ever.

I don’t normally post food I didn’t make, but I wanted to post this epic Indian takeout order that my in laws put together for my birthday.

IMG_6186.thumb.jpeg.461a137b8d2fae8ce93f0d4e6138f69e.jpeg

I made some epic force carbonated gin and tonics to go with. The combination of food drunk and drunk drunk was excellent.

I’m not a dessert person, but this puff pastry thing filled with sweetened whipped cream and berries was exactly my speed. My mother in law set up a little dessert bar with puff pastry shells, berries, apricots, cream, and honey and you got to make your own. Nice.

IMG_6190.thumb.jpeg.70595f1f0edcca94fa75718b87ac8c40.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

23 hours ago, Ann_T said:
HalibutFishandChipsJuly28th2023.thumb.jpg.b55aa7f5b9b8988b5b2462c43e05c24e.jpg
Went shopping before work this morning and bought fresh halibut.
HalibutFishandChipsJuly28th20231.thumb.jpg.1b461508f4d5b1a3e8d6d545a2a2fa3c.jpg
We had halibut fish and chips for dinner.

That battered fish looks good. Your making me crave Long John Silvers, lol. Im gonna cry, theres no more LJS's in my area anymore.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

@btbyrd gotnta love your phrase drunk food and drunk drunk. Nice you have relatives who "get you". Thanks for sharing.

Whats wrong with drunk drunk. I always post drunk drunk. I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First post out of the "welcome" forum, but made one of my favorite meals.

Tenderloin, guajillo sauce, anejo mashed, bok choy, homemade corn tortillas.

uTb0MWQ.jpg

Saturday is always a fun cook with the family day.  My 13 year old made the tortillas, 11 yr old made the sauce....although it took 5 times as long to help them as it would to make it....still nothing I'd rather do.  Definitely no originality in plate but have to say it tasted great.  Thanks Rick, had it at Frontera and it made it into our family rotation.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

38 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

First post out of the "welcome" forum, but made one of my favorite meals.

Tenderloin, guajillo sauce, anejo mashed, bok choy, homemade corn tortillas.

Nice on the kid involvement. I can almost smell the guajillo sauce. I'm. planning a similar sauce tomorrow. Did you char them first. Mine are pretty fruity even smelling through the bag. Are the potatoes just mashed with queso?  Welcome!

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

I would have thought given your geography that you would have access to the docks and be able to source directly.  Perhaps my error.

Regardless, I am sure you are still spoiled rotten for shellfish ;)

I have fond memories of being out in NS as a kid, and having some of the most amazing scallops and lobster - ever.

Oh I have very good local access to fish and shellfish. Just not Atlantic halibut.

I have about a four minute drive from the South Bar Fisherman's Harbour Authority, which despite the long name, is a protected wharf for local lobster boats. You can even call ahead so they'll let you know when to pick up.

My other favorite is Louisbourg Seafoods. They're a large operation but what they do is run a bunch of 'fish trucks' for retail sales to the surrounding communities. You can drop in, one is usually about a ten minute drive, or if I want something like a five Kg. case of frozen haddock we can make arrangements.

Local mussels and scallops readily available.

• Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot