• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Tonight we just decided to have franks and beans

Chicken sausages with sun dried tomatoes, or kielbasa, with gorgonzola, relish, and dijonaisse, with home made baked beans.

IMG_20230712_201215.jpg

• Like 13

This is by far the best of the delivered meals I've been living on for the last too many months. Staggeringly good.

海鲜虾蟹粥 (hǎi xiān xiā xiè zhōu), fresh seafood and crab congee.

A huge serving of rice porridge stuffed with large shrimp, scallops and crab. The rice was cooked in a shellfish broth and flavoured with ginger, garlic and Chinese chives. Came with three dips / garnishes: chili paste, pickled daikon and pickled mustard leaf.

congee.thumb.jpg.5a120eb09d2d35495417e4037171b9d0.jpg

Will definitely be revisiting.

¥24.80 CNY / $3.50 USD

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Maybe he knows his aunt has the best chance of making one that's edible?

But then he has to give her a fighting chance - kale needs to be boiled into submission with copious amounts of pork products … not served as a salad. And again: all the food options in the world and kale salad 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

But then he has to give her a fighting chance - kale needs to be boiled into submission with copious amounts of pork products … not served as a salad. And again: all the food options in the world and kale salad 😱

I intentionally buy Lacinto Kale (Cavalo Nero) about every 2 weeks and make a salad with it that I enjoy - heavy on garlic, olive oil, balsamic parmesan or similaar... The curly stuff - not so much.  I find it sweet that she is giving nephew the choice of menu for his last couple days.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

I intentionally buy Lacinto Kale (Cavalo Nero) about every 2 weeks and make a salad

At least in Germany this is considered to be a different plant …

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

I find it sweet that she is giving nephew the choice of menu for his last couple days.

Me too, no argument there … 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

I intentionally buy Lacinto Kale (Cavalo Nero) about every 2 weeks and make a salad with it that I enjoy - heavy on garlic, olive oil, balsamic parmesan or similaar... The curly stuff - not so much.  I find it sweet that she is giving nephew the choice of menu for his last couple days.

Yes, it's very sweet. When I cook for my family or guests I rarely take requests unless it's something that appeals to ME. On the subject of kale, it seems to me that if you have to boil the living daylights out of it you might as well make collards, instead. Although baby collards can be done like chard in a quick saute. The only type of kale I eat is Lacinato, in soups, but truthfully I often opt for chard there too.  I don't know if it was really true kale, but there used to be a vendor at one of our farmers' markets who sold "Baby Russian Kale."  It didn't look like kale at all, more like small oak leaves. It was tender and very good. I still am mystified by the kale fad. It is no more healthy than any other dark leafy green. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Soooo … from someone who can expertly cook anything, he requests kale salad ?!

That's pretty much what came to my mind.  Who with all their wits about them chooses kale for anything other than composting?

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I don't know if it was really true kale, but there used to be a vendor at one of our farmers' markets who sold "Baby Russian Kale."  It didn't look like kale at all, more like small oak leaves. It was tender and very good. I still am mystified by the kale fad. It is no more healthy than any other dark leafy green. 

It's real kale. I've grown it and it's perfectly fine, though I find it less productive than other varieties so I don't bother any more. I usually grow a lacinato type (or two) which I'll occasionally eat as a salad, and a curly type which is purely for cooking. Why? Because I like them, of course, why else? I also harvest large quantities of turnip tops, beet tops, radish tops and chard, and the occasional bowl of dandelion greens and wild sorrel. If I could get bloody collards to grow for me here, I'd grow those too, but I didn't bother to try this year.

I like my greens.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

At least in Germany this is considered to be a different plant …

Me too, no argument there … 

I too may have kale for my last meal.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Haven't made this traditional steamed ground beef with spicy Sechuan presereved turnip for a long time. Eaten with Jasmin rice and stir-fried Shanghai Bok Choy.

SteamedGroundBeefJaiChoy1426.jpg.3f0e76d3b5356825e3a2d970cfb04712.jpg   ShanghiBokChoy1430.jpg.c8b9e62702e98de4a29ca44b65e3224c.jpg

Shrimp and Pappardelle alfredo with my very first Rhubarb Crisp!

DhrimpParpadelleAlfredo1456.jpg.cf3f71562120e4fea8b661fb7d15a78c.jpg      RhubarbCrisp1423.jpg.225d28f49d9458408d6f747e622e9f8f.jpg

Cool enough day to use the oven: Roasted a chunk of a huge bone-in pork butt, rubbed with whole grain mustard and fresh Rosemary. Tossed in new potatoes and carrot chunks for the last 60 minutes. Choice of applesauce or @Shelby mustard sauce.

RoastPorkVeg1459.jpg.16c721e81a3db069fe1dd798c773da1d.jpgRoastPorkPlated1462.jpg.883f522958df645716febd2a9001a124.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Stir fried tofu with green beans and shiitake mushrooms - pan fried tofu with corn starch coating with stir fried green beans, shiitake mushrooms, scallions, ginger, garlic and sauce made from vegetable broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and corn starch

IMG_7614.thumb.jpeg.1668f1478f71744ed344a2862622f55a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I too may have kale for my last meal.

If it comes in the right preparation and with the proper accompaniments …

1198821_1_articledetail_270-008-7677480-

fit-1024-768-d344c4d6.jpg

13234392_1_org_Geselligkeit_und_Genuss_G

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I chose carefully. Perused ingredient lists. Examined photographs. Then ordered. Twenty minutes later I opened Pandora's box.

seafoodfriedrice.thumb.jpg.5fb378386771f298217548202c7a3adf.jpg

Seafood fried rice. Oysters, squid, shrimp.

And bloody c⊘rn! That was definitely not listed, photographed, necessary, required or wanted! The shock was so intense, I nearly didn't notice the stupid rings of bell pepper that had been lobbed on top.

I carefully dug out every last speck of yellowness and hurled it into oblivion, then ate what I had actually asked for. After my careful yellowectomy, the dish was actually rather good. Lots of nicely cooked seafood buried in the now ritually purified depths of the rice.

But points off for the massive trauma and offence inflicted on the frail!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

these ladies seem very pleased w themselves :

imageproxy-1_php.jpeg.588246003cd9f6b0c625fba025034349.jpeg

is it because they are un loading so much Kale ?

Fo Dinner recently , I combine two different bags of TJ's prepped Shurbbery 

one is

tj.thumb.jpg.8013b352b375911427c12254eea7b8ee.jpg

it has Kale et all in it.  The K is finely cut , has crunch  ( or many its the other stuff ? )

and I don't mind it.   might live for an extra 100 years   this blend might not appeal 

as it has thinly sliced root ends to boot .

EVOO  fixes this problem , as it fixes many problems.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pasta Alla Norma, a lovely striped eggplant from the FM was the inspiration for supper. Cubed, steamed and then sautéed with a little red onion and some garlic.  I then added a 14 oz. container of diced tomatoes in purée and a little wine, cooked down a bit and added a few Sungold tomatoes. Some parsley and basil was added at the last minute along with grated ricotta salata

Romaine salad with radish , red onion, added a slightly mustardy vinaigrette.

Dessert was mini popovers filled with sour cream, tangerine curd and berries.

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

If it comes in the right preparation and with the proper accompaniments …

1198821_1_articledetail_270-008-7677480-

fit-1024-768-d344c4d6.jpg

13234392_1_org_Geselligkeit_und_Genuss_G

You almost did me in right there.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

these ladies seem very pleased w themselves :

imageproxy-1_php.jpeg.588246003cd9f6b0c625fba025034349.jpeg

is it because they are un loading so much Kale ?

In this context, the answer might be Lüttje Lage* or at least some Doppelkorn before their shift …

—-

Sorry, link only in German. Please use Google translate …