• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

The best part of being an early riser is being able to bake or cook in the morning.
I got a head start on tonight's dinner.
ChickenreadyfortheovenJuly10th2023.thumb.jpg.723a9ae7be64948c0ae25e6729479b65.jpg
Presalted a 4.5lb chicken yesterday morning and roasted it this morning.
ChickenjustoutoftheovenJuly10th2023.thumb.jpg.7f30f4dbf7e47bc0d9499e693a3441db.jpg
I always roast using the high heat - 500°F - method.
ChickenjustoutoftheovenMoesbreakfastJuly10th2023.thumb.jpg.8416c9859ef13c53a4f4a9f78958eb7a.jpg
Moe had the two legs with toast for breakfast
and we will have one of our favourite dinners - Hot Chicken Sandwiches with fries and peas.
RoastchickengravyJuly10th2023.thumb.jpg.cd6e807cb6372e36ac3405cca27d0904.jpg
And this little chicken netted me 3 cups of chicken gravy - liquid gold.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:
And this little chicken netted me 3 cups of chicken gravy - liquid gold

I am a sucker for gravy - that’s just from the roasting juices ?!

• Like 2

The daily alignment process: little one wanted sausages, DW wanted something „fresh“, I wanted something spicy. Sausages need a carb-based salad. Everyone needed a veggie salad. DW needed something „now“, so I needed something quick to prepare. Little one needed to help me.

Tomato mozz (chopped up by little one), pan-fried Thüringer Rostbratwurst sausage with onions, Currywurst, pasta salad. 

IMG_0077.thumb.jpeg.cf63c9ee39eef539ecaca8cd371f8ccb.jpeg

All happy !

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay, you've got me on this one. How do you get that beautiful char on those shrimp and still have them perfectly cooked and juicy?

I think the looks can be deceiving; the char is basically on the scallops; the shrimp had been poached before and just added to the sauce at the very end to heat them up ever so slightly. 

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

Im on my way over on the ' L ' train

or what ever one is au courant.

It's a bit of a walk from the ' L ';  you're better off on the ' F '.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It's been such a hectic time.  Ronnie went out of town fishing for a few days.  I had some serious chores that I've been putting off for literally years so while he was gone I worked my ass off.  I wasn't very hungry so I didn't cook much.

Steak quesadillas the night before he left

thumbnail_IMG_4699.jpg.50262912475ee52eace005e5db5ac836.jpg

Thursday night I didn't eat anything.....wine was my meal lol.

Friday I was a bit hungry.  Had grand plans to make linguini with clam sauce ( canned clams ).  It's an easy dish but by 8 pm I had petered out and didn't have the energy.  So, I opened a jar of store bought pesto and made a little caprese salad.  Basil and tomatoes from the garden.

thumbnail_IMG_4709.jpg.d54ea8da89f5ad63ed47c51425c1fee6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4710.jpg.ee1efec9541a5bf290005cce68505dfd.jpg

For lunch on Saturday I decided to try some ramen noodles I bought from Misfits called Spicy AF.  

thumbnail_IMG_4713.jpg.bd4d272c792a8b151df84daf9ce2d038.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4714.jpg.f86988688b7e002b73c035a726bb95ff.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4715.jpg.2d4908ccd63cdd6e37b73dcd16a776be.jpg

O M G they were so hot.  They definitely live up to their name.  I couldn't finish them and ended up drinking about a half a gallon of milk.

Yesterday Ronnie got home and wanted venison meatloaf.  So that, with squash, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and tomatoes

thumbnail_IMG_4720.jpg.915ce0e708e08d32667666586bc186bb.jpg

Also made some assorted squash pickles from Vivian Howard.  Good stuff.

thumbnail_IMG_4708.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yes, when I take the chicken out of the skillet , the skillet goes back into the oven until the juices brown, and the fat separates, which doesn't take long 

at 500°F.  If needed I will sometimes add a little butter.  I add flour to make a roux and then chicken broth, season with salt and pepper and today I put a few sprigs of thyme and a couple of sage leaves from the garden into simmer with the gravy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Yes, when I take the chicken out of the skillet , the skillet goes back into the oven until the juices brown, and the fat separates, which doesn't take long 

at 500°F.  If needed I will sometimes add a little butter.  I add flour to make a roux and then chicken broth, season with salt and pepper and today I put a few sprigs of thyme and a couple of sage leaves from the garden into simmer with the gravy.

I wondered the same. So when you add chicken broth is that from homemade frozen or purchased?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

So it's not just from the roasting juices...it's from the roasting juices plus the added chicken broth. Which, when combined with flour and butter, equals gravy.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So it's not just from the roasting juices...it's from the roasting juices plus the added chicken broth. Which, when combined with flour and butter, equals gravy

I'm not quite sure I understand the question.   I don't know any other way to make gravy, be it chicken/turkey/beef/pork etc...

You need to separate the fat from the juices by letting the juices cook in the fat until they start to brown.

Then you make the roux and you need a liquid. I guess you could use water, but the gravy wouldn't be nearly as rich or flavourful.   

I made a blog post on How to Make Gravy a number of years ago.  

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/11/22/roast-chicken-and-how-to-make-gravy/

• Like 1

Just now, Ann_T said:

I'm not quite sure I understand the question.   I don't know any other way to make gravy, be it chicken/turkey/beef/pork etc...

You need to separate the fat from the juices by letting the juices cook in the fat until they start to brown.

Then you make the roux and you need a liquid. I guess you could use water, but the gravy wouldn't be nearly as rich or flavourful.   

I made a blog post on How to Make Gravy a number of years ago.  

https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/11/22/roast-chicken-and-how-to-make-gravy/

Yes - I'm with you. But I perceived @Duvel's question to be one of he couldn't believe you got all that gravy (3 cups), just from bird juices.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

And this little chicken netted me 3 cups of chicken gravy - liquid gold.

Care to share the recipe? Ever since McCormick discontinued their Bag N Season country chicken, Ive yet to find a compariable gravy made from braising chicken.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

For lunch on Saturday I decided to try some ramen noodles I bought from Misfits called Spicy AF.  

thumbnail_IMG_4713.jpg.bd4d272c792a8b151df84daf9ce2d038.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4714.jpg.f86988688b7e002b73c035a726bb95ff.jpg

I have to try this Ramen. Havent seen it at my local Asian Market.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Thank you for outlining the process. I usually go the other way, taking the juices and adding just a bit of water to loosen all the scraps, then thicken everything with either roux or some starch. Hence my surprise that you got all that gravy from one bird. But your method sounds good (and yields more gravy), so I‘ll give it a go next time 🤗

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thank you for outlining the process. I usually go the other way, taking the juices and adding just a bit of water to loosen all the scraps, then thicken everything with either roux or some starch. Hence my surprise that you got all that gravy from one bird. But your method sounds good (and yields more gravy), so I‘ll give it a go next time 🤗

I have dined at homes where three cups of juices could conceivably have been gotten from the bird, because there was definitely no moisture left in its flesh! We know Ann to be an excellent cook, though, so I'd assumed the actual cooking juices were augmented.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, FeChef said:

I have to try this Ramen. Havent seen it at my local Asian Market.

It's sometimes hard to find stuff that comes from...Oakland, CA...but you could always check here...https://snapdragonfood.com/

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have dined at homes where three cups of juices could conceivably have been gotten from the bird, because there was definitely no moisture left in its flesh! We know Ann to be an excellent cook, though, so I'd assumed the actual cooking juices were augmented.

Or maybe she used secretly this ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Carb-based dinner (but meatless!).  Started with pa de tomàquet amb anxoves (Grilled bread with tomatoes and anchovies).

Into the pasta dish (as a main)...

IMG_9636.thumb.jpeg.c7279436449f69daad357fa9adafa512.jpeg\

Pesto pasta with potatoes and green beans.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

鲜马肉煮伊面 (xiān mǎ ròu zhǔ yī miàn).

Fresh horsemeat with boiled e-fu noodles. The actual noodles (aka Yi Mian) are Cantonese egg noodles, but the broth and toppings are pure Liuzhou. Spicy with chilli, fresh Sichuan peppercorns and chili oil. Morning glory, garlic and peanuts. All in a rich horse bone broth.

This lot cost me ¥16 or $2.22 USD and could easily have fed two (inc an unrequested can of lemon squash and delivery). Half is now in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

HorseNoodles.thumb.jpg.3f9c26aa72cc66b252abf7ceafe92185.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

鲜马肉煮伊面 (xiān mǎ ròu zhǔ yī miàn).

Fresh horsemeat with boiled e-fu noodles. The actual noodles (aka Yi Mian) are Cantonese egg noodles, but the broth and toppings are pure Liuzhou. Spicy with chilli, fresh Sichuan peppercorns and chili oil. Morning glory, garlic and peanuts. All in a rich horse bone broth.

This lot cost me ¥16 or $2.22 USD and could easily have fed two (inc an unrequested can of lemon squash and delivery). Half is now in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

HorseNoodles.thumb.jpg.3f9c26aa72cc66b252abf7ceafe92185.jpg

Damn that looks good.... that is right up my alley.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FeChef said:

Care to share the recipe? Ever since McCormick discontinued their Bag N Season country chicken, Ive yet to find a compariable gravy made from braising chicken.

@FeChef, there is no real recipe. Just season your bird the way you normally would and roast at 500°F.

Remove the chicken from the pan , and either put the pan back in the oven to brown the juices or do the same on top of the stove.

The fat will separate from the browned bits.

If needed, add a little more fat (butter) and then flour to make a roux.   Add chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and sage and or thyme. Or whatever herbs you would normally use.  

Pictorial I did for the blog way back when.......https://thibeaultstable.com/2014/11/22/roast-chicken-and-how-to-make-gravy/

• Thanks 1

Sirloin steak, cooked SV then seared on the sear burner.  Served with shredded Brussels sprouts with bacon, balsamic and cream sherry - sounded good but the bacon crumbles had gone off so it tasted terrible.

sirloin-brus9.jpg.3cf0f3dfdd1a70011edd52fde88e6125.jpg

• Sad 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs