• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Fresh blueberries are lovely, but they have a more gentle flavor compared with blackberries or raspberries. It will probably not be shocking that I prefer the more strongly-flavored berries. 🙄

Sorry you lost your blackberry patch, that is a shame.

Thanks...it seems like folks just don't know what they've got and plow it under.  It's sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wanted to make a Flammkuchen for dinner one day last week.
cremefraicheJune28th2023.thumb.jpg.b5dae6f256d6987deeff0bcc936dd585.jpg
I needed creme fraiche for it and unfortunately none of our grocery stores carries it.

So, I had to make it myself.
FlammkuchenJune28th2023.thumb.jpg.be9f5c6fbac305356a45cea0a5da4fe2.jpg
Finally got around do doing that and it is ready to use.
FlammkuchenJune28th20231.thumb.jpg.34252da1a2a40279a05a20d1d555c7ee.jpg
So Flammkuchen was on the menu tonight.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 6

55 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Simple one pot dish made in oven once everything is mixed together - bone-in chicken thighs, basmati rice, eggplants, onion, garlic, dates, cumin, ground ginger, harissa, orange zest and juice, olive oil and chicken broth. Finished with some pistachios.

IMG_7573.thumb.jpeg.379844c4e45be065a8170cab3ba87766.jpeg

Basmati rice cooked with everything else?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My house in Portland (Or) had wild blackberries growing through my fence from the neighbor's yard.  They tasted amazing and, I think, the most delicious fruit I've ever enjoyed.

But, the thorns!  I had to be careful or they're rip my clothing if I wasn't careful.

I loved the stand along the fence and pick them and fee them to myself and to my dogs, who loved them too.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

My house in Portland (Or) had wild blackberries growing through my fence from the neighbor's yard.  They tasted amazing and, I think, the most delicious fruit I've ever enjoyed.

But, the thorns!  I had to be careful or they're rip my clothing if I wasn't careful.

I loved the stand along the fence and pick them and fee them to myself and to my dogs, who loved them too.

When I lived in Newfoundland we had a handful of favorite berry patches. The tastiest blackberries were the ones we dubbed the "saber-toothed berries" for their thorns. We wore long-sleeved heavy coats (in the muggy late-summer heat!) to pick them.

...after doing a quick "bear check," of course, to ensure that we were the only ones harvesting at the moment. Bears know a good berry when they find it, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A few quick meals:

Brats, onions and peppers

thumbnail_IMG_4648.jpg.1058033c9612e1d7fadfe0c7d78b9117.jpg

Lamb/venison gyros--a few tiny garden cherry tomatoes in there

thumbnail_IMG_4652.jpg.90bc7becb817df50859cb7452bd4daf7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4653.jpg.f8c627ef0241363252277da11aa37698.jpg

Fried some crappie up last night--Mac and cheese and squash to go with.  Forgot to take a picture.

thumbnail_IMG_4655.jpg.dde25988b231c2ef7d41efcbebf39a7e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4656.jpg.668b1df4c9a20e025f59945d220f334b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Blackberries are my absolute favorite berry. All the reliable patches we used to pick have been plowed under for one reason or another. Some patches were thorny, some not so bad. Yes, long sleeves were advisable. The biggest danger was if they were growing entangled in poison oak. I don't understand why the commercial ones are usually so mediocre or unripe. Always seems like a waste of money. Once in a while we would make a pie, but often I just ate them in a bowl with cream poured over. Heavenly.

• Delicious 1

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

When I lived in Newfoundland we had a handful of favorite berry patches. The tastiest blackberries were the ones we dubbed the "saber-toothed berries" for their thorns. We wore long-sleeved heavy coats (in the muggy late-summer heat!) to pick them.

Just need to wait 24 hours. Newfoundland...one day year  I have no memory of heat and humidity in Newfoundland...maybe one day a year.

Bison hot dogs on a bed of kimchi. Succotash and potato salad.

IMG_6433.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Spanish style potato salad and tuna with thanks to @weinoo and @rotuts for the inspiration. This was a spur of the moment supper, I used the IP to cook the potatoes and HBE for four minutes. Removed the potatoes and gave them a healthy sprinkling of chive blossom vinegar and chervil vinegar while they were still warm. Then added some evoo, capers,parsley and  shallots that had sat in some vinegar while the potatoes cooked. Added the tuna along with a shower of hard boiled egg, the other half of the egg was deviled with some piment d’ Espelette. A definite repeat for us!

IMG_3956.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

@OlyveOyl 

very nice.   and fine plate

to plate on 

your ideas have reminded me of how good

iPot'd steamed potatoes and eggs are

w the idea those two items do well in the refig

for future use.

thanks

• Like 1

Little one was sick for some days. Tonight, he requested Ramen for dinner, which for me is a sign he is on the mend. In a spur of the moment I decided to go the Tsukemen way, trying to emulate Rokurinshas Tsukemen

Making a broth out of katsuobushi, pork belly, kombu, sake, several alliums, ginger, smoked fish (trout), dried squid, soy …

IMG_0016.thumb.jpeg.60d727fb6dd9ad3590ead3fe5eec69e6.jpeg

Filtered & pureed with some boiled alliums, smoked fish and konbu. Served with dried fish powder, toasted nori, kombu strips, an 5 min egg …

IMG_0017.thumb.jpeg.086a6b719c1828c5d6168082766ce9a4.jpeg

Plus some candied pork belly, more dried fish powder, and yuzu peel.

IMG_0018.thumb.jpeg.b19c7281c39655b98397e5dc1d892ba3.jpeg

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but this was very good. Soup needs to be more viscous, and needed a bit more yuzu peel and a slight shift towards the porky flavors. Nevertheless, it was so satisfying. And little one enjoyed it.

Mission accomplished 🤗

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Little one was sick for some days. Tonight, he requested Ramen for dinner, which for me is a sign he is on the mend. In a spur of the moment I decided to go the Tsukemen way, trying to emulate Rokurinshas Tsukemen

Making a broth out of katsuobushi, pork belly, kombu, sake, several alliums, ginger, smoked fish (trout), dried squid, soy …

IMG_0016.thumb.jpeg.60d727fb6dd9ad3590ead3fe5eec69e6.jpeg

Filtered & pureed with some boiled alliums, smoked fish and konbu. Served with dried fish powder, toasted nori, kombu strips, an 5 min egg …

IMG_0017.thumb.jpeg.086a6b719c1828c5d6168082766ce9a4.jpeg

Plus some candied pork belly, more dried fish powder, and yuzu peel.

IMG_0018.thumb.jpeg.b19c7281c39655b98397e5dc1d892ba3.jpeg

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but this was very good. Soup needs to be more viscous, and needed a bit more yuzu peel and a slight shift towards the porky flavors. Nevertheless, it was so satisfying. And little one enjoyed it.

Mission accomplished 🤗

wow that is "some broth" (mimic Charlotte's Web "Some Pig") I am inspired. Would you consider gelatin for more mouthfeel. I've not yet tried that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

wow that is "some broth" (mimic Charlotte's Web "Some Pig") I am inspired. Would you consider gelatin for more mouthfeel. I've not yet tried that.

Yes, I think that would up the viscosity. I’ll add more pork skin next time. Flavor was pretty great, though …

• Like 1

early dinner // late lunch :

IMG_2649.thumb.jpg.7e874ea3064bff7f94ffe80e910a3eff.jpg

this was outstanding .

its a bread salad as a base the bread comes from TJ' s   every day but monday :

IMG_2656.thumb.jpg.28adc07a39c2d6ea4e3df4405895857b.jpg

Hyannus is about 2 hours away , and Im told the bread racks ( several )  are left at the front door @ 6 am

it keeps very well , and is revived for plain croutons in the CSO , based on age and thickness of the slices 

cooked and cubed 

caved bread // 1/8th cut campari tomatoes , so the prices are small  / small cubes of TJ's parmesan-ish

the olive oil on that , generously and a sprinkle of Penzey's sandwich sprinkle ( thick garlic bread seasoning )

Tj's Spring mix and Tj's sliced cabbage 

more olive oil  , and TJ's refrigerated Ranch 

mixed and very much enjoyed 

each element quite distinct , and the bread cubes at the very bottom absorbed all the flavors 

and still had good texture.

a winner for the summer.

P.S.: this is not a diet salad 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Cheese Course :

IMG_2660.jpg.7129506e0e0fa2485a597562f109e6ef.jpg

the same bread above , firmed up in the CSO , but only a bit of the crust ' crusty '

St. Andre , from TJ's ( a wedge )   lightly aged for a few days in a cuborad , unwrapped .

then refrigerated and covered on a plate w a plastic bag 

yes , refrigerated .     slows down the ripening ,  the creamy part os very creamy , the

rind quite ' spicy '  iy warms to room temp before being inhaled,

this needed some marmalade or something   I didn't have any peach , and only raspberry 

which would have been too tart for me 

then it came to me :   Major Grey Chutney   or guava jam.   just a little .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1