• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

But I did have some lactose-free vanilla ice cream

One cannot help but admire your adaptability. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Yellow curry chicken.  The yellow curry was in a jar from Costco and it was way too spicy for us.  Normally I'd cut it with some coconut (or other lactose free) milk and add some sugar to moderate the heat.  But no milk was on hand.  But I did have some lactose-free vanilla ice cream so that did the trick!  Served over left-over Basmati rice and with steamed bok choy.

curry-chicken2.jpg.429bb130022a1920fe1b16a6785e376c.jpg

Now that is innovative outside the box thinking. I am impressed!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

This is getting to be a regular with us. We both like it and it isn't too time consuming to make. It's Creamy Shrimp Linguine with Spinach and Sun-dried Tomatoes.  The sauce is cream and Parmesan cheese.

IMG_1023.jpg

Cream smoothes life out. When I first started cooking at 21 it was by backpocket to well received meals. Wine helped

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/20/2023 at 11:05 AM, OlyveOyl said:

Dumpling Tomato Salad with Chili Crisp Vinaigrette, a delicious recipe at the NYT., with thanks to @Senior Sea Kayaker for reminding me of it.  This is a quick to put together recipe that only requires you to macerate the cut up tomatoes with s, p, minced garlic and torn up basil leaves for 20/30 minutes.  In the meanwhile, the vinaigrette of soy, rice wine vinegar and chili crisp  is prepared and set aside.  Lastly, the dumplings are fried and then steamed.  Alli are then mixed together and topped with some fried shallots.  As I  had used the last of my micro fried shallots, I fortunately had some TJ’s fried onions in the pantry which substituted admirably.  The onions provided a nice crunch to the dish. This will be excellent when summer tomatoes are really good. I did peel the red tomatoes though 😁

IMG_3902.jpeg

That looks like a perfect summer dinner. I don't have access to NYT recipes but seems like something I could cobble together. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:33 PM, Duvel said:

Lovely weather continues, and little one asked for another round of BBQ:

Salads of the day: classic Nudelsalat and tomato/cucumber/grilled Halloumi …

IMG_9983.thumb.jpeg.187b9792e48efefaacd130f6960c0f1a.jpeg

Grillfackeln and SV sirloin (2h @ 54oC) …

IMG_9984.thumb.jpeg.960bde89f300dc1cb0e2d1780bdbeb34.jpeg

Bratwürstchen 🥳

IMG_9986.thumb.jpeg.5eb8535345c232e02b9babbe05fd36a1.jpeg

And I made a freshly baked bread (75% wheat, 20% rye and 5% cornmeal) …

IMG_9985.thumb.jpeg.5164d7b29be15c8f412bce0ec86ec09e.jpeg

And a little DIY dessert …

39EB988E-A628-43B6-B117-675C40F9CECE.thumb.jpeg.9369728709fac528eecf67a7568af86b.jpeg

IMG_9989.thumb.jpeg.b3a561bfb60d9ff26a8289e0aa7ea134.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

That may be the most perfectly roasted marshmallow that I have ever seen! My kids were always too impatient, their MO was burn it, eat the burnt part, burn it again and repeat.

• Like 1

Best laid plans (was gonna order in from a place that turned out to be closed on Tuesdays) meant a bit of a scramble into the fridge and pantry.

IMG_9585.thumb.jpeg.4b5f8ffcbeee47be2cae17c6fd5e8634.jpeg

Made tuna salad and egg salad.  Quick pickled some celery, carrots, radishes and cucumbers. Served on a bed of Romaine leaves, drizzled with olive oil and sherry vinegar.  A cold mess, but good.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

46 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Best laid plans (was gonna order in from a place that turned out to be closed on Tuesdays) meant a bit of a scramble into the fridge and pantry.

IMG_9585.thumb.jpeg.4b5f8ffcbeee47be2cae17c6fd5e8634.jpeg

Made tuna salad and egg salad.  Quick pickled some celery, carrots, radishes and cucumbers. Served on a bed of Romaine leaves, drizzled with olive oil and sherry vinegar.  A cold mess, but good.

I sometimes add tuna to my macaroni salad, it makes a nice change.

• Like 3

Ive had potato salad w tuna 

in Spain , indeed in the Basque country .

and at a school I went to ( boarder )     the Brothers , who ran the school

were of an order that was Basque , as many of them were .

as I lived there for 2 years.

not on the fancy side as it might be these days 

but canned tuna in Spain in 1960    

was quite different than here ,  not extra fancy style in a glass jar 

big tins , big chunks , olive oil .

if you like P.S.:   and can get some reasonably priced 

higher end tuna :   its a mighty fine dish .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Another ramen/dumpling bowl. Lacinato kale and ruby red chard blanched in my broth. Lots of veg and quick pickles from the night before. Unpredictable nasty thunderstorms...nice to have a rich and full crisper drawer and freezer. 

This has become our go-to easy meal. 

New to us A-SHA noodles. Recent batch of chili crisp is a handy condiment. 

IMG_6427.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 7.38.23 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A simple pasta, “fettucce” as the package says…sautéed onions/garlic/yellow /green zucchini, peperoncini, pecorino.

Followed by a romaine radish salad with a mustardy vinaigrette.

Another evening we had chicken francese, capers, lemon, white wine with couscous, tomatoes, garden peas and mint.

A mega romaine salad, blue cheese , walnuts and a walnut oil/ vinegar dressing for the salad.

But the best part was a sour cherry, apricot tart, a very delicious combination of fruit.  I’ve frequently made this combo in a simple cake, but we really enjoyed the tart.

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3945.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

A simple pasta, “fettucce” as the package says…sautéed onions/garlic/yellow /green zucchini, peperoncini, pecorino.

Followed by a romaine radish salad with a mustardy vinaigrette.

Another evening we had chicken francese, capers, lemon, white wine with couscous, tomatoes, garden peas and mint.

A mega romaine salad, blue cheese , walnuts and a walnut oil/ vinegar dressing for the salad.

But the best part was a sour cherry, apricot tart, a very delicious combination of fruit.  I’ve frequently made this combo in a simple cake, but we really enjoyed the tart.

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3945.jpeg

IMG_3951.jpeg

Olive, your meals and your photography are both mouth-watering.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C picked fresh blueberries and made a crisp. Lime zest and no added sugar so it tasted like fruit.

I'm posting it here in Dinner because, well, that's what we had for dinner.

Blueberry_crisp_202306.thumb.jpg.eb3efc3daef5732bee1c5dc3cc684cd6.jpg

My kind of dinner! Or breakfast or lunch for that matter, it looks scrumptious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C picked fresh blueberries and made a crisp. Lime zest and no added sugar so it tasted like fruit.

I'm posting it here in Dinner because, well, that's what we had for dinner.

Blueberry_crisp_202306.thumb.jpg.eb3efc3daef5732bee1c5dc3cc684cd6.jpg

Drooling!  We used to have a blackberry patch not too far from us.  SO good.  Sadly, it's gone now.  And, our mulberries didn't make this year so I will live vicariously through you.  I can only imagine how fresh picked blueberries taste--must be heavenly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I braised a chuck roast in a spicy liquid and made Chicago-style beef sandwiches topped with pickled vegetables.  It was good.  

That looks amazing, Norm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Drooling!  We used to have a blackberry patch not too far from us.  SO good.  Sadly, it's gone now.  And, our mulberries didn't make this year so I will live vicariously through you.  I can only imagine how fresh picked blueberries taste--must be heavenly.

Fresh blueberries are lovely, but they have a more gentle flavor compared with blackberries or raspberries. It will probably not be shocking that I prefer the more strongly-flavored berries. 🙄

Sorry you lost your blackberry patch, that is a shame.

• Thanks 1