• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Pan grilled mahi mahi with green curry sauce, spinach and multicolored carrots, with rice

mahiwithgreeencurry.thumb.jpg.09a18b90d3af011a2597535561860a48.jpg

I have to make more things like this.  I've been locked in a box that the only thing I use mahi mahi for is the Sichuan twice cooked fish.  Is there any kind of starch coating or marinade on the fish?  By pan grilled, do you mean a grill pan?

• Like 1

48 hours of steady rain was a bit much. Also made a chicken soup, a beef stew and started some kimchi and sauerkraut. A couple spice blends for the Spring/summer. Two last trays of garden seedlings. 

Last night a half lamb rack, roasted vegetables and a shaved fennel, celery, red onion salad. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 9.31.11 AM.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Today I got a comment you’ll never hear in a 100% German household: “I think we eat too much pork”. As a good husband and patriarch of a mere 50% German household I immediately reacted, went to the butcher and got some boneless chicken thighs*. 

So tonight: Gong Bao Ji Ding (宮保雞丁) … always a win. It’s the wuzz version with almost no chilies, which were added to my portion in the form of chili crisp. 

7431E17C-33F4-42EA-9140-D5722E0EAB57.thumb.jpeg.f6c1aa4f0ba49c00a3b440c49730a3ce.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

—-

* plus a beautiful piece of pork collar that was on offer. I’ll bury it under onions, peaches and cream and noone will notice tomorrow 😏

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Today I got a comment you’ll never hear in a 100% German household: “I think we eat too much pork”.

I think what they're saying is that unless it's black label Iberico, don't bother!

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

38 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think what they're saying is that unless it's black label Iberico, don't bother!

Nah ... when it's fresh, raw and properly spiced, they'll eat it even it's just a regular German porker 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm back on page 30 of this thread, but some pictures to post.

Finally it's warm enough for a Wine Time outside in the backyard. Starting with my neighbour's big fat purple asparagus, uncooked but lower limb peeled, sliced thinly, with green onion, fresh mint, lime and AgroDolce. Dishes of oiled Moroccan olives.

IMG_5165_Cropped.thumb.jpg.94e24d17c53070d9eea1b59af160eadb.jpg

Sliced baguette with Port Salut cheese and a thin slice of a date, fig, hazelnut and almond cake. Also some very creamy blue cheese. Not shown: bowls of chopped garlic generously covered with olive oil and heated in microwave. Accompanied by more sliced baguette.

IMG_5168_cropped.thumb.jpg.7aaad4f44069bf9ae56d7c05af81f7c8.jpg

Salad of heirloom tomato, bell pepper, cilantro, lemon, Red Boat fish sauce, balsamic.

IMG_5166_cropped.thumb.jpg.c4dcf8d1fa77c50ebc3d884fec1d40db.jpg

No pictures of dessert which was a coffee mousse.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Duvel

''  a comment you’ll never hear in a 100% German household: “I think we eat too much pork”. ''

this makes great sense . 

Pork has been worked with in Germany , for quite a long time .

the local versions reflect the local terroir, and various seasons .

not to worry 

The Potato and the Spaetze  even things out

you might sprinkle some freshly minced parsley on the lot 

A Green Vegetable !

local beer is always helpful.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I'm back on page 30 of this thread, but some pictures to post.

Finally it's warm enough for a Wine Time outside in the backyard. Starting with my neighbour's big fat purple asparagus, uncooked but lower limb peeled, sliced thinly, with green onion, fresh mint, lime and AgroDolce. Dishes of oiled Moroccan olives.

IMG_5165_Cropped.thumb.jpg.94e24d17c53070d9eea1b59af160eadb.jpg

Sliced baguette with Port Salut cheese and a thin slice of a date, fig, hazelnut and almond cake. Also some very creamy blue cheese. Not shown: bowls of chopped garlic generously covered with olive oil and heated in microwave. Accompanied by more sliced baguette.

Salad of heirloom tomato, bell pepper, cilantro, lemon, Red Boat fish sauce, balsamic.

IMG_5166_cropped.thumb.jpg.c4dcf8d1fa77c50ebc3d884fec1d40db.jpg

No pictures of dessert which was a coffee mousse.

What a wonderful assortment to enjoy outdoors with friends. I am not a sweets person, but that cake intrigues. I do like sweet with savory. Oh and the coffee mousse. I typically did the Julia Child classic but subbed Sabra for GrandMarnier. Sabra is an Israeli chocolate & orange liqueur. But I also did one before that that was gelatin stabiized, coffee flavord and whipped to a high level of airy in the mixer. May need to re-visit.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

What a wonderful assortment to enjoy outdoors with friends. I am not a sweets erson, but that cake intrigues. I do like sweet with savory.

It was a very very thin slice (1/8"). Not sweet per se.

Zingerman's calls it "A cheese's sweet dream. There may be a lot of dried fruit with nuts out there looking trendy these days but this is no fad. This is something you might have found a hundred years ago in a market in Istanbul, Cairo, Athens or Palermo—albeit rarely done this beautifully.

Two different varieties of dried fig (Black Mission and Green Turkish) along with dried dates, almonds and hazelnuts to create a pressed cake that’s as gorgeous to behold as it is mouth-watering to eat. There's no flour or eggs or sugar to make this cake—just fruit and nuts."

Pressed Fig, Date, & Nut Cake

At the time (last Friday) I was totally impressed with how great that dinner was.

• Like 5

Red_Cabbage_202305.thumb.jpg.9687d0862815534f231acb8ed7132158.jpg

Red cabbage braised with onions, garlic, and port wine, then finished with flat-leaf parsley and toasted chopped walnuts. I will make this again, but jazz up the flavor a bit.

Cod cooked with some sort of marinade, courtesy of Mrs. C. She grew up eating freshly caught so she has a way with fish. Microwave lime and cilantro rice, not pictured. Hey, I had a 5:30 vet appointment. :rolleyes:

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@C. sapidus, somewhere I have a red cabbage recipe from Switzerland's Betty Bossi which is mildly spicy for some but pretty interesting (to me). Let me know if you'd like me to find it!

That would be fantastic, if not too much trouble. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

a slice of a date, fig, hazelnut and almond cake.

Did you buy or make the "fruit cake"?     If homemade, have you a recipe to share?     For years I chased a Spanish prune/walnut "cake", finally settling for fig/almond product.    But yours sounds quite extraordinary!

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

HalibutwithpoachedLobstertailMay3rd2023.thumb.jpg.489a54ecd5133fe5a3d45479a4e5d161.jpg
We had pan roasted halibut with butter poached lobster tails for dinner tonight.
I went to buy halibut but they also had raw lobster tails out of the shell. Couldn't resist.

Served with a lovely wine - Estate Series Bacchus - from the Black Market Wine Co. A winery in our beautiful Okanagan Valley.
Was the perfect accompaniment to the halibut and butter poached lobster.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 9

9 hours ago, TdeV said:

It was a very very thin slice (1/8"). Not sweet per se.

Zingerman's calls it "A cheese's sweet dream. There may be a lot of dried fruit with nuts out there looking trendy these days but this is no fad. This is something you might have found a hundred years ago in a market in Istanbul, Cairo, Athens or Palermo—albeit rarely done this beautifully.

Two different varieties of dried fig (Black Mission and Green Turkish) along with dried dates, almonds and hazelnuts to create a pressed cake that’s as gorgeous to behold as it is mouth-watering to eat. There's no flour or eggs or sugar to make this cake—just fruit and nuts."

Pressed Fig, Date, & Nut Cake

At the time (last Friday) I was totally impressed with how great that dinner was.

What you are describing sounds an awful lot like an Italian Panforte. I'm sure there are countless versions, some a bit spicy, but the common ingredients are hazelnuts, almonds, figs, a bit of cocoa and a minimal amount of flour. I've made a wonderful one called Panforte Nero which I believe came from Alice Medrich. 

• Thanks 1

Yesterday's dinner of fishcakes, spinach sauteed with garlic and chilis, tomato and cucumber. Accompanied by a Halifax craft cider: Chain Yard's Foundation.

I made the fishcakes in our traditional way with purposely leftover haddock but substituted sweet potatoes for regular potatoes, added red chilis and garlic chives, bound with some mayo, dusted in panko then pan-fried. Turned out well.

FishCakesSauteedSpinachCukesandToms.thumb.JPG.418ab4748a59adff415f456261b1e07e.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

PXL_20230503_234605745.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.45f7241900a9c0e28721ca0838bf725f.jpg

Made a new batch of sambal over the weekend, now with even more dried shrimp. It's a lot better - I have to change the recipe in RecipEgullet.

Singapore style sambal grouper.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

On 5/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, KennethT said:

I have to make more things like this.  I've been locked in a box that the only thing I use mahi mahi for is the Sichuan twice cooked fish.  Is there any kind of starch coating or marinade on the fish?  By pan grilled, do you mean a grill pan?

No starch coating on the fish for no reason other than I did not think of it.  It was just briefly marinated in some lime juice, coconut milk, and a pinch of salt before cooking.  And yes, I mean a grill pan.  It's basically a round oven proof skillet with ridges on it to replicate grill marks.  My husband gave it to me decades ago when we were living in a city apartment without access to an actual grill.  It's a pain to clean between the ridges, but I still break it out occasionally.

Last night, a quick chicken stir fry with baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, red bell peppers, red tabby spinach, and cilantro.

chickenstirfry.thumb.jpg.e454d57f1de179f54c5b1f45d95a2953.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2