• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Pizza

"""     New estimated delivery date: Monday, November 8, 2021 - Saturday, November 20, 2021  """

Im fine w this .

I would like it to be a set 

that hasn't traveled around too much ...

drunk.jpeg.7406e99c9ad76a40b9c4e807b9adcd0c.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

"""     New estimated delivery date: Monday, November 8, 2021 - Saturday, November 20, 2021  """

Im fine w this .

I would like it to be a set 

that hasn't traveled around too much ...

drunk.jpeg.7406e99c9ad76a40b9c4e807b9adcd0c.jpeg

I doubt it will travel around much - most likely sitting on some container ship waiting to be unloaded

55 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have to wonder how much time elapses between arrival and a thorough reading.  

Not to mention arrival and unpacking.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I learned something tonight.  The answer to a mystery that has been with me a lifetime.  I grew up in forties and fifties Philadelphia and spent every summer, all summer, in Seaside Park New Jersey, a couple houses from the beach.  Thus I have no recollection of not knowing what pizza was.

Nonetheless my favorite pizza was on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, the next town north.  As best I can recall the pizza was cooked quickly to order in a deck oven.  What I most loved about this pizza was the toothsome, slightly gummy layer underneath the tomato sauce and mozzarella, just above the properly baked crust.

Almost certainly this is the gel layer (1-370, 1-371) Modernist Pizza condemns as a fault to be avoided.  Now I may have the knowledge to recreate my childhood.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

its been here for a few days

as noted by others . comfortable in its heavy box

then :

IMG_0478.thumb.jpg.da1e7549ca6a4692c8fbfce01cb70ccb.jpg

and yes ,  a few days later :

IMG_0482.thumb.jpg.d1a2f8fa1f0aa71c5e0eced189251c12.jpg

it is a spectacular set of books , as are MC , MC@H and MB

Poster children for the whole set to be at a local

library , on the Reserve section 

that's what Libraries are for :  sharing .

• Like 8

OK, a probably ill-advised toe in this water:

What thoughts on the MP Pizza podcast by MC?

I have happily bought MC, MB and MP. I think they are (1) extraordinarily valuable works of research and publishing and (2) execrably bad in their writing, editing, indexing and, sometimes,
conception.

I have an extreme aversion to Nathan. His main gig is Intellectual Ventures. That oxymoronically named company is a patent vulture. I also don't like the "worked with Stephen Hawking" thing. That sounds to me like clerking for Clarence Thomas; there have been a lot clerks most of whom have likely become only hacks in good suits.

(Also -- and I've gotta get over this -- to have been CTO at Microsoft is, to me, a badge of utter shame. I have lost so many nights to known-buggy software that shipped, corrupted my files, cause me grief and made my life visibly worse as to never being able to have anything other than utter scorn for Bill Gates and his conspirators. I don't care if Bill eradicates malaria, cures cancer and solves the hydrogen thing. He stole my money and a lot of my life. Don't start me on auto-numbering.)

Back to the podcast. I just listened to the third episode. It's weirdly unfocused and unproduced. Ep 3 was supposedly about flour. I know *a little* about flour. I ended up knowing less. I heard rehearsed nonsense and came away thinking:

1. I sniff a lot of undisclosed commercial affordances and back-scratching going on here (I'm trying to be polite)

2. It's just not interesting

3. Is related to (1) and my off-topic rant: I just don't trust these people. I think they are burning their best asset.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Thoughts?

I agree with everything you wrote.

The "worked with Stephen Hawking" thing you mentioned...a bit more like staged at NOMA - I had no idea thousands of "chefs" have actually done that!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, FlashJack said:

OK, a probably ill-advised toe in this water:

What thoughts on the MP Pizza podcast by MC?

I have happily bought MC, MB and MP. I think they are (1) extraordinarily valuable works of research and publishing and (2) execrably bad in their writing, editing, indexing and, sometimes,
conception.

I have an extreme aversion to Nathan. His main gig is Intellectual Ventures. That oxymoronically named company is a patent vulture. I also don't like the "worked with Stephen Hawking" thing. That sounds to me like clerking for Clarence Thomas; there have been a lot clerks most of whom have likely become only hacks in good suits.

(Also -- and I've gotta get over this -- to have been CTO at Microsoft is, to me, a badge of utter shame. I have lost so many nights to known-buggy software that shipped, corrupted my files, cause me grief and made my life visibly worse as to never being able to have anything other than utter scorn for Bill Gates and his conspirators. I don't care if Bill eradicates malaria, cures cancer and solves the hydrogen thing. He stole my money and a lot of my life. Don't start me on auto-numbering.)

Back to the podcast. I just listened to the third episode. It's weirdly unfocused and unproduced. Ep 3 was supposedly about flour. I know *a little* about flour. I ended up knowing less. I heard rehearsed nonsense and came away thinking:

1. I sniff a lot of undisclosed commercial affordances and back-scratching going on here (I'm trying to be polite)

2. It's just not interesting

3. Is related to (1) and my off-topic rant: I just don't trust these people. I think they are burning their best asset.

Thoughts?

All that makes sense. I actually really enjoy the Mod Pizza content, but indexing I can see. Bit of a pain. 

I really enjoyed Mod Cuisine @ Home and have the Mod Cuisine Kitchen Manual and have cooked from that with great results so I’m a fan of their work. I’ll actually be getting Mod Bread for Christmas after how much I’ve enjoyed Mod Pizza. 

All that other stuff you mention is totally reasonable, just doesn’t bother me as much. 

Have not listened to the podcast, but probaby won’t. Have a lot of other podcasts I enjoy and need to keep up on. 

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, lookee here...

IMG_5637.thumb.jpeg.eeafb4e129a5dafc544d14fdfe73108a.jpeg

I unpacked them in the hallway as I could barely pick up the darn box.  And I will do nothing else today.

But - I figured on putting these books next to Michelangelo and Barack, as I'm pretty sure Nathan fashions himself as ground breaking as those two 😉 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Well, lookee here...

IMG_5637.thumb.jpeg.eeafb4e129a5dafc544d14fdfe73108a.jpeg

I unpacked them in the hallway as I could barely pick up the darn box.  And I will do nothing else today.

But - I figured on putting these books next to Michelangelo and Barack, as I'm pretty sure Nathan fashions himself as ground breaking as those two 😉 .

Resistance is futile!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scott123 said:

Con... gratulations?  

I guess if there's another toilet paper shortage, you'll be in good shape ;)

You wouldn't want to use that paper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update for those of us in the EU: my set, which I pre-ordered on the first day possible (May 20) on amazon.de is finally on the way, after multiple delays.  Expected arrival date to Hungary: January the 6th. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting in Germany. Yesterday I received an email from Amazon.de: 

We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. We'll make every effort to get the delayed item to you as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience.

New estimated delivery date: We will email you as soon as we have a delivery date.

It seems like the number of sets is still restricted in the EU.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...