• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Pizza

After several years of development, Modernist Pizza is finally available for pre-order, with an October 5, 2021 release date. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edit 10/1/2021 -- The "Cooking with Myhrvold's Modernist Pizza" discussion can be found here. This topic focuses on other aspects of the book.

Edited by Chris Hennes
Add note. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I am certain it will be fantastic conpendium. At that pricetag however I am wondering whether it‘ll make more impact to what I serve to my family than some hardware improvements at the same cost level (e.g. outdoor pizza oven, ...). I will not preorder, but will watch the (definetely interesting) discussions here and probably succumb shortly after ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

Wow  !

Finally !

3 volumes !

that's a lot of Dough !

who is buying ?

I pre-ordered.  I still will have to carry it upstairs one volume at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, Duvel said:

At that pricetag however I am wondering whether it‘ll make more impact to what I serve to my family than some hardware improvements at the same cost level (e.g. outdoor pizza oven, ...). I will not preorder, but will watch the (definetely interesting) discussions here and probably succumb shortly after ...

I'm with @Duvel.  Though obviously I won't be buying the outdoor pizza oven.

And at some point, maybe I'll buy it...like when the volumes come down in price, either individually or as a set...look at what Volume 5 of the OG can be had for...

Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking, Volume 5: Plated-Dish Recipes

$14.99 $8.99

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@chefmd 

im very tempted by the offer you posted.

hope its up in a day or so , gives me some time to ' stew '

P.S. : shipping charges are extra.

for me its 22.50 , USPS.

still , that saves 27 USD or so

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

not that long ago

say a couple of years pre-C-19

I would have been all over the

Ooni oven.   most of the time it would be on my deck right next to the kitchen

and in the winter , in my garage ( w the garage door open w in use )

not so much now.

But I have friends that are all over their Ooni

and will be all over these books.

I'm sure Ill get it at some point

just to read , and get a work-out at the same time.

Are there so many secrets on making pizza contained in these books to justify the cost?  Are they written by hand?  Perhaps each purchase includes a pound of saffron?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That wasn't chicken

48 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Are there so many secrets on making pizza contained in these books to justify the cost?  Are they written by hand?  Perhaps each purchase includes a pound of saffron?

If the past is any indication the cost of producing these books exceeds the selling price. Nathan Myhrvold underwrites much of the cost of developing these amazing books. They are certainly not for everyone but if your aim in life is to master the art of making pizza you will consider the cost well worth it. As I said, your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is a nice video tour of their facility. Az some point chef Francisco Migoya talks about their next project, the topic of wich is still a secret. So this means new books are coming after the pizza book. Fro the love he talks about his chocolate machines, I am guessing it will have to do with sweets. Also I remember Nathan talking about some discovery regarding macarons here on Egullet, which he was not prepared to share at the time, alluding to some future pastry-sweets book. I really hope that's going to be the next one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

Pizza will never be the same.

and Oooooo Oooooooooooo

they are on the Next Project !

and an EZ-Temper !

I'm sure you were entranced by the red cover.

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'll hang with Il Fornaio and Vetri, thanks..  

Vetri (whose several books I own) made fun of restaurant quarantine restrictions.  When it comes to science I'll hang with @nathanm and Galileo Galilei.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

C*AP.   how have I managed w/o a rotary evaporator

and a freeze-dryer , to make Tomato powder 

to add to the crust ?

P.S.:  tasty science 

Edited by rotuts (log)

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

if your aim in life is to master the art of making pizza you will consider the cost well worth it. As I said, your mileage may vary.

i think if one's aim is to master any art, one ought work with a master; say with Gabrielle Bonci. Or Jim Lahey. Or Anthony Mangieri. Nancy Silverton. Or at da Michelle. Patsy's. etc.

We can learn lots from books, but nothing like watching the hands of a master.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

i think if one's aim is to master any art, one ought work with a master

I’ve always thought that nailing the theory as well as the practice is the most efficient way to mastery of most things. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’ve always thought that nailing the theory as well as the practice is the most efficient way to mastery of most things. 

I think that depends; sometimes the telling of the theory of something is just plain boring and useless to all but a select few.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I think that depends; sometimes the telling of the theory of something is just plain boring and useless to all but a select few.

Then we must agree to disagree. It keeps conversations lively. 

My 2004 eG Blog