• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Pizza

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

wonder if this is correct :

there is a paperback edition ?

https://www.amazon.com/MP-Modernist-Pizza-Ruby-deluca/dp/B09JBKVH8L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Modernist+Pizza&qid=1634563298&s=books&sr=1-2

significantly cheaper

Print length 32 pages.  Author Ruby deluca.  Such a bargain.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

leave it to Amazon

to look for an extra buck 

anywhere it can.

so much for Amazon's AI filtering

of junk.

if ordered , what would one get ?

As some eG members are aware, I post a lot of sale-priced cookbook finds on eGullet.

There was a cookbook with "Milk Street" in the title that I knew was not part of the Milk Street cookbook line. 

I attempted to contact Amazon to let them know of this "counterfeit-titled" cookbook but they wanted me to jump through so many hoops before they would lift a finger to verify that it was not an official Milk Street cookbook that I gave up on Amazon. They obviously did not want to know they were selling bad goods, so to speak.

I turned around and let Milk Street know about the questionable cookbook. They thanked me and the next day the Amazon listing was gone.

My advice would be to contact the Modernist people, give them the book's ASIN number and questionable title and let them handle it.

Why waste your money on something that's obviously not authentic? 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Toliver 

excellent points.

who ever put this ' up '

sent some time doing it

but

as  @JoNorvelleWalker 

pointed out :  page count , author clearly fake

seems like that might have been taken care of by

the scammers ?

I called Amazon about a telephone scam

suggesting an onder on my Visa  ( I don't have a Visa right now )

was fine , unless i didn't place it

and pushing #1  would get me to Amazon customer service to

sort it out .  Eastern European accent 

Amazon had absolutely no interest in looking into this

nor did the Dot.Gov  Do Not Call Cabal.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I’m honestly a bit bummed/annoyed Biga doughs weren’t covered at all. Really weird to completely ignore something pretty popular when it comes to Neapolitan pizza. 

Also shoutout Kitchen Arts and Letters. Got it from them for $400, but they threw in a $50 gift card so I was able to get some more cookbooks (including another pizza book, lol) I wanted. Shipped quickly, sent a book plate signed by the authors, and are hosting a Zoom class with the authors in November. Great place. 

• Like 3

My advice would be to contact the Modernist people, give them the book's ASIN number and questionable title and let them handle it.

Why waste your money on something that's obviously not authentic? 

I would think Nathan would have enough lawyers to handle this themselves.

Also shoutout Kitchen Arts and Letters. 

A truly great place, and RIP, Nach Waxman.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 10/18/2021 at 9:23 AM, rotuts said:

wonder if this is correct :

there is a paperback edition ?

https://www.amazon.com/MP-Modernist-Pizza-Ruby-deluca/dp/B09JBKVH8L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Modernist+Pizza&qid=1634563298&s=books&sr=1-2

significantly cheaper

Not any more.

• Like 1

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on 02/09/2021 (Order# xxx).

Myhrvold, Nathan "Modernist Pizza"
 http://www.amazon.com.au/dp/1734386126

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

If you'd prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account on the link below:

[redacted]

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Problems with shipments from China? Anyone else had such a message?

• Sad 1

my order

placed in August

has been promised andthenm delayed twice.

I was supposed to get the Tomes yesterday , by 10 pm

per Amazon tracking

no dice.   the tomes were not eve shipped.

I do understand there are many issues these days

a delay on a set of books is not very high on my list as that important

but promising a delivery by 10 pm when the order was never shipped

i9n the first place

has nothing to do w Supply issues.

it has to do w Amazon's  indifference toward individual customers.

no excuse that I can see for that .

• Sad 2

I had the shipping woes as well… they sent them USPS and the tracking was a joke. I don’t think the postal service had any clear idea of where the books were, honestly. Then… they showed up.  I hope yours will surprise you soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Do they address Chicago thin crust at all? I’m from Illinois, and love my deep dish, but it’s sort of in a category of it’s own. And the best thin crust pizza I have had is Chicago-style. The bottom of the crust is crispy and almost fried, and it is always cut into squares, not slices.

I have found an error in Modernist Pizza.  On page 1-372, The Pizzaiolo Equation, the Stefan-Boltzmann law* is invoked to explain the relationship of baking temperature to thermal radiation.  The error is in the sentence:

"In other words, when we are baking Neapolitan pizza at 400C/750F, the thermal radiation contribution is 16 times higher than if we reduce the baking temperature to 200C/390F."

Stefan-Boltzmann radiant emittance is indeed proportional to the 4th power of temperature, but thermodynamic temperature:  temperature in degrees Kelvin, not temperature in degrees Celsius.  Converting from Celsius to Kelvin and plugging the numbers into my trusty Windows calculator, I compute the thermal radiation contribution is 4 times higher** not 16 times higher when baking at 400C than at 200C.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law

**well, OK, 4.0968684856219297188148611063802 times higher

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have found an error in Modernist Pizza.  On page 1-372, The Pizzaiolo Equation, the Stefan-Boltzmann law* is invoked to explain the relationship of baking temperature to thermal radiation.  The error is in the sentence:

"In other words, when we are baking Neapolitan pizza at 400C/750F, the thermal radiation contribution is 16 times higher than if we reduce the baking temperature to 200C/390F."

Stefan-Boltzmann radiant emittance is indeed proportional to the 4th power of temperature, but thermodynamic temperature:  temperature in degrees Kelvin, not temperature in degrees Celsius.  Converting from Celsius to Kelvin and plugging the numbers into my trusty Windows calculator, I compute the thermal radiation contribution is 4 times higher** not 16 times higher when baking at 400C than at 200C.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law

**well, OK, 4.0968684856219297188148611063802 times higher

Yeah I’ve found a few. They’ll release an errata in the next year I’m sure

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

Yeah I’ve found a few. They’ll release an errata in the next year I’m sure

Hopefully fixed in time for @rotuts's copy.

• Haha 2