Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

dinner last night

a 3 skinless boneless chicken thighs, silken tofu, "healthy Noodle" stir fry, garlic, ginger, chili, oyster sauce, chili bean sauce, sesame oil, scallions and chicken stock. thickened with cornstarch slurry.

 

IMG_6373.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, scamhi said:

dinner last night

a 3 skinless boneless chicken thighs, silken tofu, "healthy Noodle" stir fry, garlic, ginger, chili, oyster sauce, chili bean sauce, sesame oil, scallions and chicken stock. thickened with cornstarch slurry.

 

You mean konnyaku/konjac ? They have an enjoyable textural place in my world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, heidih said:

You mean konnyaku/konjac ? They have an enjoyable textural place in my world. 

I had to look at the ingredients and Konjac power is one.

We use them in stir fries not sure about having them with a tomato based sauce

IMG_6400.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, scamhi said:

I had to look at the ingredients and Konjac power is one.

We use them in stir fries not sure about having them with a tomato based sauce

 

Right so not go tomato/Italian as your sensory expectation will be jarred. But in Asian type preps where slippery texture is enjoyed they are nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Right so not go tomato/Italian as your sensory expectation will be jarred. But in Asian type preps where slippery texture is enjoyed they are nice.

I agree! With soups, I find if I boil the noodles instead of just warming them in the broth, they have a better mouthfeel

A quick trip to Winnipeg Chinese supermarket gave me more practice in my Love-Hate relationship with fresh rice noodles (Ho fun).
Tonight, it was with beef, gai lan and oyster sauce.

 

                                                                     184963390_BeefRiceNoodles5910.jpg.0beb23c6170ae804dd36900420f2c645.jpg

 

I had picked up quite a lot of BBQ meats from my favourite BBQ shop in Chinatown. The owner knows me well now, and always gives me a big bag of Siu Yook (Crispy Pork) bones.
Supper after we got home was Congee with the bones, Century egg and fuyu.         

 

                                                                    1545151547_Congee5908.jpg.bcbb6275646e8ec65842a94768032819.jpg

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creamy polenta topped with roasted mushrooms and garlicky kale, plus a poached egg and a green olive pesto.  Another dinner based on a Half Baked Harvest recipe, though I roasted my mushrooms for extra flavor.  

 

828719778_poelntaeggs.thumb.jpg.ad6248b6f8f9a9dd39be797d82632cf1.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hand cut pasta with mixed mushrooms, chestnuts, wine, butter, garlic, thyme, parm.

Broccoli salad with onion, a very light mayo dressing with lemon juice and a whole lot of zest, mint, pepper, a bit of sugar.

 

PXL_20211203_194142408.thumb.jpg.86f12480e9047797c2078d84fe12e89a.jpg

 

PXL_20211203_184940634.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

I agree! With soups, I find if I boil the noodles instead of just warming them in the broth, they have a better mouthfeel

A quick trip to Winnipeg Chinese supermarket gave me more practice in my Love-Hate relationship with fresh rice noodles (Ho fun).
Tonight, it was with beef, gai lan and oyster sauce.

                                                        

 

On the konnyaku based noodles - I simmer them first in some water and a few glugs of soy sauce.  The fresh rice noodles I usually can get  are oiled, and rolled end over end - versus coiled - but sometimes break and frustrate me as I try to unroll them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Setubal, just south of lovely Lisbon. Love Portugal! Would go there every year if I could!

J68comU.jpg

 

Pasta with cuttlefish ink

5RDqv86.jpg

 

1 of these 2 big cuttlefish had the ink sac intact, which I saved for the pasta.

xJFZepy.jpg

 

All gone now. My new favourite squash is lakota. Orange with splashes of green. Orange flesh, dense and very sweet.

7Rx8n48.jpg

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Honkman said:

Beef and bacon (processed in the food processor to a paste, sauteed for a few minutes) burger topped with gorgonzola and caramelized onions

 

B3FC068C-5130-4400-8EDA-721CEDE49293.thumb.jpeg.e4290701a4cd9aab814f30305de2c0cf.jpeg

That is a thing of beauty. I love a burger with caramelized onions and blue cheese or Gorgonzola. Never thought about grinding up the bacon and adding it to the burger; making a note of that!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

16F8307C-37DB-49C8-94B1-AB722E995D7A.thumb.jpeg.b283ab69a3dcb2947d4c93b3e4c3eb62.jpeg

 

Dinner tonight from the last of Friday’s lunch leftovers (Street Taco filling, grilled vegetables and refried beans) with a couple of warmed flour tortillas and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

 

100B10F5-5E0F-4DEE-893C-B659670947CC.thumb.jpeg.e8795d3bc6ce0467b2d8fae5571ba70f.jpeg

 

I like the way that you do it all on one pan and I like those flour tortillas.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...