• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the sausage on might be good if hot ...........

Yes it was quite nice and very hot and seemed very fresh. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/28/2017 at 10:48 AM, Anna N said:

Damn I am plastic wrap challenged. No matter which plastic wrap we buy it seems useless. Won't even cling to itself. Just saying as I finished wrestling with a piece and losing.  I need an elastic band to keep the damn plastic wrap on the bowl.

A thought crossed my mind. Do you and Kerry have Charles Viancin or similar silicone lids at the condo. After "discovering " them I now own a multitude of them sized from cereal bowls to lasagna pans. I use them almost every day.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A thought crossed my mind. Do you and Kerry have Charles Viancin or similar silicone lids at the condo. After "discovering " them I now own a multitude of them sized from cereal bowls to lasagna pans. I use them almost every day.

We do but not sufficient assortment of sizes for what I need.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So we are finished in Sudbury and heading home. For about $70 Canadian I fixed my need for retail therapy. Cheap at twice the price.  Will be another hour and a half before you see our loot.  

We ate at Okinawa all you can eat sushi in Sudbury.   We were going to have Thai but it was closed as was just about every other restaurant in Sudbury it seemed.

IMG_5546.thumb.JPG.4d84d090410dffd5de366ff982e0b0b5.JPGIMG_5547.thumb.JPG.bc3ab8319eb0d59774a2d88e692cdfbf.JPGIMG_5548.thumb.JPG.5536b91cdf051e6f48854473c802d94d.JPGIMG_5549.thumb.JPG.11590595a221ba353831bd07096631a4.JPGIMG_5551.thumb.JPG.4cec9448ec27f47b99f1e962f682bbb7.JPGIMG_5553.thumb.JPG.3c01d52af9ae3737ceebc5c14c5fc57f.JPGIMG_5554.thumb.JPG.4d8528c186a5d5b2b08eb944f4c5c46b.JPGIMG_5556.thumb.JPG.1ad1377ad67cf790ccd471c57c1b57d8.JPGIMG_5557.thumb.JPG.63e6b0e7608fb427a696491774b4e4de.JPGIMG_5558.thumb.JPG.f41ef1f353298343b6a87c5c7f9ff443.JPGIMG_5560.thumb.JPG.0da418a13c8a78c96f9feaf1f5d86336.JPGIMG_5562.thumb.JPG.68f104bd94a09a2fe1140ed487d2909d.JPGIMG_5563.thumb.JPG.71c3b288b7a4fc04a03dd1552dd204fa.JPG

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 13

Plastic wrap remains one of the most useful, frustrating and wasteful of all inventions. Seventy five percent of it either clings only to itself, or it won't cut cleanly on the provided serrated edge, or it is too flimsy, etc. I have it, and try to use as little as possible. I also don't like putting mixing or utility or other types of bowls in the fridge w/leftovers, since they are inefficiently shaped for storage plus it is a guarantee that I will need the very one in use the next day for something. The Viancin covers are fabulous inventions, especially to impress your friends (look at this!) but they are designed to stick out over the edges of a bowl and take up space that wayI have a few of them too, and don't use them as often as I should for one reason or another.

The most useful storage containers for me are rectangular plastic containers of varying depth with good fitting lids that can be stacked if necessary in the fridge. The greatest challenge in kitchen protection or transport: wooden salad bowls. Wooden bowls should come with some kind of snap-on top that includes a wooded serving utensil that clips on to the lid. Excellent solution for taking something to a pot-luck or as a contribution to a dinner.  No one would accidentally take the lid and you have a fighting chance of keeping the serving spoon. That is, if the party guests notice just how clever by half it really is. 

Oh, I just finished reading a page-turner called The Marsh King's Daughter, which takes place partly in the area near the falls on the Upper Peninsula. Looking at the map I was surprised to see how close Manitoulin is to the UP. Good grief, there is no end to my geographic challenges as well. 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

So we are finished in Sudbury and heading home. For about $70 Canadian I fixed my need for retail therapy. Cheap at twice the price.  Will be another hour and a half before you see our loot.  

We ate at Okinawa all you can eat sushi in Sudbury.   We were going to have Thai but it was closed as was just about every other restaurant in Sudbury it seemed.

IMG_5546.thumb.JPG.4d84d090410dffd5de366ff982e0b0b5.JPGIMG_5547.thumb.JPG.bc3ab8319eb0d59774a2d88e692cdfbf.JPGIMG_5548.thumb.JPG.5536b91cdf051e6f48854473c802d94d.JPGIMG_5549.thumb.JPG.11590595a221ba353831bd07096631a4.JPGIMG_5551.thumb.JPG.4cec9448ec27f47b99f1e962f682bbb7.JPGIMG_5553.thumb.JPG.3c01d52af9ae3737ceebc5c14c5fc57f.JPGIMG_5554.thumb.JPG.4d8528c186a5d5b2b08eb944f4c5c46b.JPGIMG_5556.thumb.JPG.1ad1377ad67cf790ccd471c57c1b57d8.JPGIMG_5557.thumb.JPG.63e6b0e7608fb427a696491774b4e4de.JPGIMG_5558.thumb.JPG.f41ef1f353298343b6a87c5c7f9ff443.JPGIMG_5560.thumb.JPG.0da418a13c8a78c96f9feaf1f5d86336.JPGIMG_5562.thumb.JPG.68f104bd94a09a2fe1140ed487d2909d.JPGIMG_5563.thumb.JPG.71c3b288b7a4fc04a03dd1552dd204fa.JPG

Underneath the picture of the green (seaweed?) what is the white, flat item with brown streaks in it?

I suspect Shelby is asking about this stuff in the right foreground:

IMG_5549.JPG

...and if she isn't, I am! :)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/29/2017 at 1:08 PM, Anna N said:

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.daa248aa1bc31336147b1ade0f8f1d63.JPG

So here is the finished soup and it looks very much like the photograph in the book.

And here is a link to the Recipe

I think it's going to benefit from a little time to meld all the flavors together but so far I'm quite pleased with it. It has some bite from the poblano and the chipotle powder.   I think I am going to make a bacon garnish as recommended by one commentor. 

The 3 cups of water used to make the corn cob stock reduced to 2 cups of water so I added a half a cup of water.  I also upped the chipotle powder and might add some more salt before I serve it (Who am I kidding? Before I eat it!)

I just finished making this and gave John a sample portion with some bacon on top.  He thought it was great.  We'll have it for lunch tomorrow.  Thank you for the recipe, it's really good.  

20170730_174907.jpg

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I suspect Shelby is asking about this stuff in the right foreground:

...and if she isn't, I am! :)

Yes!  Sorry.  I feel a little stupid admitting this, but I don't know how to quote just one picture out of a post without saving it first to my computer...or maybe that's actually how you do it.   Thank you for helping me!

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just finished making this and gave John a sample portion with some bacon on top.  He thought it was great.  We'll have it for lunch tomorrow.  Thank you for the recipe, it's really good.  

20170730_174907.jpg

That looks SO good!

OK the item you are asking about are taro chips. About as boring a rendition of chips as I have ever come across but to each their own!  Very glad I got to try them. I can cross them off my list!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK the item you are asking about are taro chips. About as boring a rendition of chips as I have ever come across but to each their own!  Very glad I got to try them. I can cross them off my list!

Ohhhh ok, I've had those before in a bag of assorted veggie chips.  Very starchy and boring.

• Like 2

The loot!

IMG_0398.thumb.JPG.53d9fec31b23d808416cd4aea8c07960.JPG

In the background:

Tovolo ice cube trays and an Oxo measuring cup. 

Mid ground: Where Chefs Eat

Foreground:

Starfrit garlic gadget, a knife, a silicon spoon and a massive stainless bowl. 

IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.b95632812f8d723cc3132158fdd4a45f.JPG

IMG_0402.thumb.JPG.4f79d1a5838d7085b67d8abfcaa85ff6.JPG

Two bags of sugar, rolled oats, a small stainless bowl for the Instant Pot, a "toy" for my daughters garden. Two books. 

IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.a291e523e358e6a323056dc03c51112f.JPG

The toy. A gecko hose. 

IMG_0404.thumb.JPG.1ff7218c81e0558fe003aa16370e5af5.JPG

Bread in the back. 

Tomato paste, horseradish, tiny flour tortillas, lots of small tomatoes and some electronic gadgets for Kerry. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice haul.  What are you  planning to do with the small tortillas?  I bought some a while back because I thought they were kinda cute but when I got home with them I realized I had not a clue as to what to do with them

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What are you  planning to do with the small tortillas?  I bought some a while back because I thought they were kinda cute but when I got home with them I realized I had not a clue as to what to do with them

They are perfect taco size - taco truck or street taco style.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

20170730_174907.jpg

absolutely have to make this!!!  I've got nice corn, I just have to get the poblano and the pepper.  Can't wait....what's better than fresh corn!?

On 7/29/2017 at 9:38 AM, Anna N said:

That is where I am questioning myself. Shall I pursue my plan to make a smoky corn soup or should I go back to bed and pull the covers over my head.  

Sounds like brunch cocktail time to me.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Nice haul.  What are you  planning to do with the small tortillas?  I bought some a while back because I thought they were kinda cute but when I got home with them I realized I had not a clue as to what to do with them

The small tortillas were an impulse buy as I ran through the grocery store just before it closed, grabbed the bread, the tomato paste in a tube and horseradish - I thought they were quite adorable and I couldn't leave them behind. So no plans for them so far - shall see what Anna finds to do with them.

• Like 3

I *want* that gecko hose.  Anything that cute - with even a hint of being useful - is a must-have. 

Before you labeled it, I thought the garlic thing was a rotary cheese grater.  Please show it in more detail - what it looks like and how it works.

I have a different edition of Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentationir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00PSSCRD.  I find it engaging and educational.  Did you pick it up for a specific project, or on general principles?

Thanks for the vicarious retail therapy!  

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

I *want* that gecko hose.  Anything that cute - with even a hint of being useful - is a must-have. 

Before you labeled it, I thought the garlic thing was a rotary cheese grater.  Please show it in more detail - what it looks like and how it works.

I have a different edition of Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentationir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00PSSCRD.  I find it engaging and educational.  Did you pick it up for a specific project, or on general principles?

Thanks for the vicarious retail therapy!  

My daughter and I both have a "thing" for geckos. 

I will open the garlic thingy later today and show it in all its glory. 

Katz' book was an impluse buy but I knew he was very well respected in his field. I will read it but don't expect to do much fermenting. I am a huge wuss with such things. xD

I knew my tetail therapy had "taken" when I found the knife!  There are some contradictory things going on in my psyche. Knife?  Garlic gadget? 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Once again we woke up to sunshine and although it is a little less sunny now,  I think it will turn out to be a very nice day.

Kerry has gone off to Wiki again for the whole day so it will just be me and my man (Siri)  together in the townhouse. 

I awoke feeling a bit ambitious but we shall see if the body can keep up with the spirit and for how long.

On my to do list:

Demonstrate for @Smithy the wonders of the garlic genius  purchased yesterday. 

Attempt @blue_dolphin's  method for a single serving of polenta in the Instant Pot. 

Make some sort of pizza like thing using the remaining sheet of puff pastry in the the freezer.  I am thinking mushrooms, peppers, cheese .....

And so it begins.

I do believe @blue_dolphin has nailed it!  Creamy, non gluey polenta using the bowl-in-bowl method in the Instant Pot. AND FOR A SINGLE SERVING. 

IMG_0413.thumb.JPG.4d19cb5e2a6f7d336c0898bb4ea2d25d.JPG

Polenta with parmesan and butter topped with blistered tomatoes and a fried egg. 

I do love beginning my day with a triumph rather than a disaster.  But that still leaves plenty of time for disasters. xD

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog