• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

The piezoelectric starter on my old one went tits up. I ordered one from Rona here - found it at Canadian Tire in Espanola - phoned back to check if it had come in, which it had. Got back here to find they wanted $20 more for it than I could have bought it for. They pretty much matched the price after a bit of chatting.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

was that lamb torched or G-Egged ?

looks to me like someone got 3 ribs and the other 2 ?

suprise.gif.81465be14c6be86adfa10cdd171d6fcc.gif

It was egged. Yes one of us got three ribs one of us got two. But the one who got two got one very thick rib. We were happy. This was the lamb from Cumbrae's and it was very tender. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, palo said:

Did you use your new torch to brown the rack?

p

Not a new torch. A new igniter. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

what were the SV time and temp for that lamb ?

If you mentioned that before , I must have missed it.

is that 1/2 of the rack you mentioned before ?

can you recall the weight of the whaler rack ?

the ones I get from TJ's   ( Fz in Canada , no less ! )

must be smaller  as they feed two :   two double chops / person.

that lamb really looks good !

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

what were the SV time and temp for that lamb ?

If you mentioned that before , I must have missed it.

is that 1/2 of the rack you mentioned before ?

can you recall the weight of the whaler rack ?

the ones I get from TJ's   ( Fz in Canada , no less ! )

must be smaller  as they feed two :   two double chops / person.

that lamb really looks good !

54.5°C x ~ 2 hours. Yes, that is half if the full rack.  We have the other half to look forward to.  I know it is local lamb. Click.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/26/2017 at 4:41 PM, Dave the Cook said:

I can't advise you; I can only say what I'd do. I'd get the whole thing (it's about 1/2 m long), use the thicker part for steaks and cut the thinner parts into strips and make pinwheels (don't need to go too sumptuous on the stuffing, if you use one; it's a rich cut of meat) out of them. I guess it might also depend on if there's a price differential between thin and thick. If the price is the same, you might want to just go for the thick. 

Me again.  Approximately  how much does one weigh?

It was cool and cloudy when I first woke up but I'm seeing some blue skies and signs of the sun attempting to break through. 

I have to admit that Espanola  fell well short of providing any sort of retail therapy yesterday. But Kerry has suggested we might head off to Sudbury again on Sunday. She is in Wiki again today so I'll be alone until four or five this evening.  

I am starting to spend far too much time with Siri ( male voice, English accent). When I asked him to set a timer he said, "Ten minutes and counting. I do love a good count down!" Life is just too short to deal with a boring timers.

I should like to be able to tell you that breakfast came to me in a dream. In reality I was wide-awake and wondering how to incorporate that lovely roasted cherry tomato sauce into my first meal of the day. 

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.2b2e3b8a850d02ec58830f15097e608c.JPG

Pan toasted bread, scrambled egg, Max Burt's bacon and the cherry tomato sauce.  It sure beats Weetabix.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It was cool and cloudy when I first woke up but I'm seeing some blue skies and signs of the sun attempting to break through. 

I have to admit that Espanola  fell well short of providing any sort of retail therapy yesterday. But Kerry has suggested we might head off to Sudbury again on Sunday. She is in Wiki again today so I'll be alone until four or five this evening.  

I am starting to spend far too much time with Siri ( male voice, English accent). When I asked him to set a timer he said, "Ten minutes and counting. I do love a good count down!" Life is just too short to deal with a boring timers.

I should like to be able to tell you that breakfast came to me in a dream. In reality I was wide-awake and wondering how to incorporate that lovely roasted cherry tomato sauce into my first meal of the day. 

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.2b2e3b8a850d02ec58830f15097e608c.JPG

Pan toasted bread, scrambled egg, Max Burt's bacon and the cherry tomato sauce.  It sure beats Weetabix.

Man, that looks good!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

ANYTHING beats Weetabix, any time!

There was a time when I was quite fond of Weetabix. Perhaps in another life?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

I had to Google Weetabix too.  Is there an American equivalent?,  I'm not sure I know what they're like.

I doubt very much that there is an American equivalent. And I can't think of anything that comes close in taste or texture.   Perhaps someone more perceptive than I will jump in and make some suggestions.

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

ANYTHING beats Weetabix, any time!

Wot! Weetabix or Weetbix as it is also known, is great, not only as a breakfast cereal, but crushed it makes a brilliant "breading" for fish fillets, chops, fish cakes, etc. It also, split in half, it makes a great cracker for a slice of cheese or some rare roast beef and mustard.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

The times I was subjected to it, or to the old-fashioned giant shredded wheat biscuits, I felt like I should be mooing or neighing or baaing as I ate it.

• Like 7

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Weetabix is probably a coarser version of the very old style Nabisco shredded wheat

bet sugar helped a lot !

I don't know. Not like any shredded wheat I've run into.   Hubby loved that shredded wheat but wouldn't go near Weetabix.  

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don't know. Not like any shredded wheat I've run into.   Hubby loved that shredded wheat but wouldn't go near Weetabix.  

our WeetBix is more or less the same as in the YT video from the UK - ours is larger flakes in the brick and no rounded corners, just a rectangular brick! 

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

44 minutes ago, JohnT said:

our WeetBix is more or less the same as in the YT video from the UK

I grew up on the rectangles not the rounded corner fancy stuff.  And I recall it being somewhat coarser than what is available in Canada.

It's interesting that the original Weetabix company had close ties with South Africa. 

Here.

My 2004 eG Blog