• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
BonVivant

Look back in hunger: Reykjavik

My "first taste" of Iceland and now I want more.

Watch in full screen.

• Like 4

Thank you, @Duvel. It was an easy flight from Brussels. Reykjavik is extremely touristy. Guess it's not expensive enough. Beer prices are on par with Norway (which is the most expensive country in the world, besides Singapore). Seafood is so good in Iceland, obviously. The fermented shark is no big deal, despite all the fuss people make about it. Yes, you get a huge whiff of amonia but that's what the booze is for. But if I have to smell something strong I'd rather eat all the stinky cheeses from France. The stinkier the better (cheese that is)!

(And I meant to lose your abs in 5 days. Could not edit anymore)

• Like 1

I could not "Like" your post but one time.

I felt compelled to say how much I appreciate your sharing your travel and eating adventures with us. I know it takes time and effort to document and share this stuff, and I, for one, am just loving it! :wub:

TFTC, thank you kindly! I did it for my own enjoyment, and also, this way I can enjoy the holiday again through my photos.

• Like 1

Oh, no! They EAT those cute little puffins? I'm horrified!

But Iceland is lovely, at least via your photos. And the prevalence of langoustine soup and other preparations of those little beauties leave me salivating...

• Like 1

We were in Reykjavik a couple of Februarys ago and, by lucky chance, our visit coincided with the annual Food and Fun festival, during which the chefs of most of the better restaurants (of which there are a good number) pair up with chefs from Europe and North America and perhaps elsewhere to create special set-price menus using Icelandic ingredients.  The most difficult challenge was deciding which of 25 or 30 menus sounded the most intriguing.  No problem with the abs, though.  They haven't been seen in years.

Sign in to follow this