• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.f2756f6bd9b75e735fa46e9c3119a3aa.JPG

We are both shameless. We may never know if the CSO does a good job of reheating roasted cauliflower because neither one of us can stop picking at the tray.  it is now cold and still good. I had some with my romesco sauce.  It's not a bad sauce but doesn't hold a candle to the one from the Zuni Café cookbook. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

How big are the mini's?

In our house 'wraps' of all ethnicities (cant believe the plural is not a word!?) are often enjoyed - with many bowls of various fillings to be customized at ones delight.  Be it traditional Mexican, Greek, Thai, Chinese, etc.

We often will get some nice big lettuce (preferably red leaf or red bib) and use it as another base layer in the wrap to give a nice crunch.  If you want any further ideas pertaining to the various ethnic incarnations, let me know.

I suspect I am suffering from an acute failure of imagination.  The tortillas are about 3 inches in diameter. So very tiny.  I think about the only thing I have ever done at home with tortillas is make cheese quesadillas.  I have had fajitas in restaurants and think they are just great but have never made them at home  as far as I recall.  

But perhaps I could prod my imagination into doing a little work here.  Reheat some roasted cauliflower, warm up some tiny tortillas and serve with some romesco sauce.  Maybe I could get on a roll here after all. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Even the brain will stop working soon. Our air conditioner is non-operative and I am melting.  Thank heaven for the smallest breeze coming off the channel. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well despite the unbearable heat I felt I would be letting the team down if I didn't at least try reheating roasted cauliflower in the Cuisinart steam oven.  

10 minutes, 325°F on steam/bake function did a very creditable job. 

IMG_0542.thumb.JPG.f136845732255511891f5d5ca9a55d6b.JPG

edited to add photo. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

But perhaps I could prod my imagination into doing a little work here.  Reheat some roasted cauliflower, warm up some tiny tortillas and serve with some romesco sauce.  Maybe I could get on a roll here after all. 

Maybe like this?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Maybe like this?

Toooooo much!  You just gotta love the ingenuity!   Looks like a job for @Kerry BealxDxDxD

Thanks for bringing a smile to my sweaty face. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Even the brain will stop working soon. Our air conditioner is non-operative and I am melting.  Thank heaven for the smallest breeze coming off the channel. 

Suggest intravenous ice and ethanol, stat.

Until a couple weeks ago I'd had a non-operative air conditioner for over a year.  Now only my oven is not working.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/31/2017 at 2:37 PM, Anna N said:

This is a bacon, tomato and cheese "pizza tart".

It looks great!!! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

46 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It looks great!!! :)

Thank you. It wasn't bad. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. The sky looks rather threatening but at least it is cooler. Good, because it will take days for the parts needed to repair the AC to arrive. 

Breakfast this morning was a repeat. Some things are so good that once is not enough. 

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.3e7e54394227c30aa76ab17932dded81.JPG

I tried @TicTac's "wet hands" on bread and it did seem to mitigate the problem of crunchy toast so thank you. 

Kerry is headed down to Gore Bay today to visit with a friend and take care of a couple of errands. Not sure yet what I might get up to. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Your breakfast looks quite appetising! I thought your aircon was repaired last time you were on the island! 

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Your breakfast looks quite appetising! I thought your aircon was repaired last time you were on the island! 

I do believe we had trouble before and apparently it didn't get properly repaired. I am most grateful that the temperature fell overnight in that today should be quite reasonable  with a breeze coming off the channel. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

depending where you are , or where They think you are , 

you may be able to view this :  weetabix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07mddvr

Apparently I am not worthy. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Suggest intravenous ice and ethanol, stat.

Until a couple weeks ago I'd had a non-operative air conditioner for over a year.  Now only my oven is not working.

There must be something in the air, my garage fridge went on the fritz yesterday.  Couldn't believe my luck when I called an appliance repair company in a nearby town and the guy happened to be in my area on other calls (they only service my town on Tuesdays and Thursdays).  So within a few hours (and a few bucks) my fridge was back in business.  Thank goodness since it's still really hot here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. The sky looks rather threatening but at least it is cooler. Good, because it will take days for the parts needed to repair the AC to arrive. 

Breakfast this morning was a repeat. Some things are so good that once is not enough. 

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.3e7e54394227c30aa76ab17932dded81.JPG

I tried @TicTac's "wet hands" on bread and it did seem to mitigate the problem of crunchy toast so thank you. 

Kerry is headed down to Gore Bay today to visit with a friend and take care of a couple of errands. Not sure yet what I might get up to. 

Glad it worked.  As you experiment with the amount of water and where you place it, you will eventually achieve YOUR perfect version of 'fresh out of oven' toast.  This also works well on whole loaves, bagels, etc.

• Like 2

Just from your recent haul, I can already picture the makings of an awesome savory 'pinwheel' - or tart - depends if you feel like rolling and slicing or not :P

Caramelized leeks and corn with some reduced tomatoes, pimenton and a touch of goat cheese....making myself hungry.....

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Just from your recent haul, I can already picture the makings of an awesome savory 'pinwheel' - or tart - depends if you feel like rolling and slicing or not :P

Caramelized leeks and corn with some reduced tomatoes, pimenton and a touch of goat cheese....making myself hungry.....

Well you are not too far off. Kerry called me from the supermarket saying they had some lovely looking leeks.  I am a sucker for leeks and a tart immediately came to mind. As that thought flitted through my head, Kerry sent another text asking if she should bring more puff pastry home. So eventually two and two got together and I saw in my mind's eye a mushroom, leek and goat cheese tart.  Guess I should get myself into the kitchen and start cleaning some leeks!   

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I will have to re-read this thread come fall weather in southern California. All these lovely baked things are out of my reach at the moment. The current forecast is for 33 C or higher with 40ish percent humidity through the middle of August. No, I am not turning on the oven. We have a serviceable Oster toaster oven with a fan-on option but it is of limited capacity.

The good news: when I re-read this thread I will have pleasant smiles and chuckles for a second time.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

grabbed a couple of things at supermarket

Can you believe that we are reduced to buying supermarket eggs? Seems our egg people are out of chickens or out of eggs.  One promises that eggs will be ready next week, beautiful multicolored ones, but we will be home by then.:(

The leeks contained barely any dirt at all! @liuzhou would have recognized them immediately!   Nevertheless old habits die hard and they were still given a darn good swish or two in water. 

The garlic gadget redeemed itself somewhat. It did a very commendable job in thinly slicing unpeeled garlic.  Sliced it much thinner than I ever manage to do. 

The leek/mushroom mixture is cooked and draining  and I am going to take a short rest before I continue with the job of finishing the tart. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.db184a4c0098dd6e8be4886b772035f3.JPG

I was hoping to show you just how high those raindrops were bouncing on the balcony. Unfortunately I didn't manage to capture it but it was quite dramatic.  One of those summer rain storms which is over almost before it begins.  At least the air is nicely cooled down now. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Send it down our way, it is smoking hot in the city.

Outside temperature currently is 20°C/68°F. Room temp!  I am comfortable.xD

My 2004 eG Blog