• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

If you cook it at a higher temp, it could be dry.  You want to make sure it is safe.  So you want to pasteurize it by cooking long enough at your desired 140F.   Here is an article about it and a chart for determining how long to cook it…probably about 3 hours depending on how thick it is.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/sous-vide-cooking-times-by-thickness#sous-vide-pasteurization-beef

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I have never done this  but with the longer cooking time you have a shot….it will be pasteurized 

I know the temp recommended temp for cooked sausage is 160 to 165f but the pork chops would awful.

we will see 

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

55 minutes ago, billyhill said:

In the immortal words of Weird Al Yankovitch, "Dare to Be Stupid". @Duveland his raw pork post have been a bad influence.

A couple of days ago my niece sent me a link to a treatise on New Jersey agriculture, notably stating New Jersey hogs are fed New York City garbage.  I was minded of Berton Roueche's A Pig From Jersey that I grew up reading and in my nightmares...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1950/11/18/a-pig-from-jersey

Said to be a bad way to die even if these days there are treatments.  I still have a copy of the full story.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@billyhill 

excellent thinking.

for me , now 

w some experience w SV ,

3 day aged RB40 sirloins ( 1 " Wagman's 4 blister pack )

I very much enjoy the results

thinly sliced 

for a Steak // Roast Beef

sandwich .  I can concentrate 

on the Peripherals   that really made the beef

exceptional :  bread , tomatoes etc

• Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 10:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A couple of days ago my niece sent me a link to a treatise on New Jersey agriculture, notably stating New Jersey hogs are fed New York City garbage.  I was minded of Berton Roueche's A Pig From Jersey that I grew up reading and in my nightmares...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1950/11/18/a-pig-from-jersey

Said to be a bad way to die even if these days there are treatments.  I still have a copy of the full story.

That was from 1950.

I believe that commercial hogs eat cooked food nowadays and that Trich. is only in game.

I freeze all gifts from hunters just to be sure

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That was from 1950.

I believe that commercial hogs eat cooked food nowadays and that Trich. is only in game.

I freeze all gifts from hunters just to be sure

The agricultural link she sent was from the 1800's.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am thawing a whole bone-in turkey breast.

As I'm quite new to this method I'm not sure how best to go about this.

I've Googled extensively but most of the directions seem to be confusing and/or contradictory.

Any advice or recipes you'd recommend?

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

I am thawing a whole bone-in turkey breast.

As I'm quite new to this method I'm not sure how best to go about this.

I've Googled extensively but most of the directions seem to be confusing and/or contradictory.

Any advice or recipes you'd recommend?

Are you asking how to thaw it sous vide or are you asking how to cook it sous vide? I thaw most things this way as it is much faster than most other ways and just a safe.

oops. I did not read very carefully. You are looking for a recipe so I must assume you are going to cooking sous vide. My bad. 

Edited by Anna N
Oopsie (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@lindag 

Ill answer for thawing.   Ive done this a lot w

Fz whole turkeys and Fz whole breast.

if you have the time , use your refrigerator is you have the room

the packages both items may leak , so I put them in 

and old fashioned plastic shopping bag , making sure it doesn't leak

and put it on a sheet pan in the reforge and wait.

quicker way is to fill up a sink unit , w cold water.

and put the Turks in that water , and wait less .

if you care going to SV , the Turks do not need to be fully defroaster

to de-bone , etc and cut into units you want to SV

It tough on your fingertips , when you get to a certain age

as the center of the turkey is still a little Fz.

thats it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Are you asking how to thaw it sous vide or are you asking how to cook it sous vide? I thaw most things this way as it is much faster than most other ways and just a safe.

oops. I did not read very carefully. You are looking for a recipe so I must assume you are going to cooking sous vide. My bad. 

Thanks for that valuable tip on thawing sous vide. I had no idea; that could be life changing for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks for that valuable tip on thawing sous vide. I had no idea; that could be life changing for me.

Indeed, it was a life changer for me, because I have such a lousy memory, and never took out anything from the freezer.  Most things thaw within an hour. Large turkey, breasts and whole birds of course will take much longer and I would be changing the water for those to make sure I stayed safe.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Dave the Cook said:

I don't understand. Change what water, and why?

Because over the long term, the cold water would warm up. The sous vide only circulates it as I’m sure you are aware. But I can watch the temperature climb if I do it for too long, so to be on the safe side I put in more cold water or some ice cubes to try to keep the temperature around 20° C.  It may simply be my anal nature. My Joule will not record temperature lower than 20°.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Because over the long term, the cold water would warm up. The sous vide only circulates it as I’m sure you are aware. But I can watch the temperature climb if I do it for too long, so to be on the safe side I put in more cold water or some ice cubes to try to keep the temperature around 20° C.  It may simply be my anal nature. My Joule will not record temperature lower than 20°.

I also add ice to the water if using the circulator for thawing anything that's going to take a while. My cold tap water is ~ 55°F so I add ice to get it below 40°F, generally considered a safe fridge temp. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3