• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

Host's note: this topic has been split into multiple segments to improve server efficiency; the previous segment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Today I home cured a sushi grade salmon fillet. Served it with lemon zest and what I have seen referred to as "pencil asparagus" This was way thinner than a pencil. More like pencil lead. It only needed blanching rather than cooking. And a mostly green salad.

salmon.jpg

salad.jpg

I had earlier planned a more elaborate presentation including some tiny green lemons I found earlier in the day, but by the time to eat I was too hungry to bother. I'll use them for something else. Watch this space.

lemons.jpgBaby green lemons with regular lemon for scale. Surprisingly sweet, yet citrus sour, too.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Orange chicken, from a box from Costco.  Made the chicken in the air fryer - it came out great - nice and crispy and not greasy.  Served with fried rice (from the previous night's leftover basamati) and stir fried bok choy.

orange-chicken.jpg

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Recently -- pulled pork, leftover from a pork roast, piled on a homemade slider roll with caramelized onion and grated gruyere cheese. With tomatoes, homemade ricotta, sweet pickles.

sandwich 1018.jpg

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Orange chicken, from a box from Costco.

I was just looking at some orange chicken at TJ's ... it's a dish I enjoy once or twice a year.  I tried to find the Costco OC using a search engine, but couldn't.  You wouldn't by any chance be able to provide a pic of the box, or maybe the brand name?  Thanks for any help.

Edit:  Is this what you bought?

Costco Orange Chicken.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I was just looking at some orange chicken at TJ's ... it's a dish I enjoy once or twice a year.  I tried to find the Costco OC using a search engine, but couldn't.  You wouldn't by any chance be able to provide a pic of the box, or maybe the brand name?  Thanks for any help.

Edit:  Is this what you bought?

Costco Orange Chicken.jpg

That is it.  And currently on sale for $3 off ($9.99 net).  It's not clear from the box, save for one tiny inference from the directions), but there are two packs of chicken and two packs of sauce inside.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

21 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

That is it.  And currently on sale for $3 off ($9.99 net).  It's not clear from the box, save for one tiny inference from the directions), but there are two packs of chicken and two packs of sauce inside.

We tried this and found that you needed both packs for two people.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We tried this and found that you needed both packs for two people.  

We fed two people twice with a single packet.  In fact the picture I took is of the re-heated leftovers.  We did add rice the first night and rice and veggies the second to stretch it a bit.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

That's interesting.  I keep a list of stuff I buy at Trader Joe's and note on it the prices we paid and any comments on what we have tried.  We only get to shop there a couple of times a year so it is a handy reminder.  I bought Mandarin Orange Chicken there last May and paid $4.99.  Looks like they must have been sellington a smaller package.   The store we go to is in Syracuse, NY.

The package says 13 servings!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

That's interesting.  I keep a list of stuff I buy at Trader Joe's and note on it the prices we paid and any comments on what we have tried.  We only get to shop there a couple of times a year so it is a handy reminder.  I bought Mandarin Orange Chicken there last May and paid $4.99.  Looks like they must have been sellington a smaller package.   The store we go to is in Syracuse, NY.

The one Shel and I are discussing is from Costco, not TJs.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Teriyaki Pork Steak, Braised Baby Bok Choy with Sesame Oil and Jasmine Rice (drizzled with some of the bok choy sauce)

image.jpeg

Oh, MY, that looks good!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I was rushed preparing supper tonight as I babysit every Tues while d-i-l takes an on-line course. Tonight was an hour earlier as the son and d-i-l had a meeting. Fried up Italian sausages, mashed cauliflower, beets from last night, and had cauliflower florets roasting in the 400F oven.

Realized I was running short on time, I packed up my food to eat at the kids...and forgot about cauliflower the oven...
Glad hubby was home...The house didn't burn to the ground and hubby didn't die from smoke inhalation. The cauliflower was definitely dead...black, and so was the pan. House still smells smoky even after I boiled vinegar for a long spell...

Thus...no picture of supper tonight:(:$

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I picked up a London broil (top round) heavily discounted in the "Use today or die" shelf of the meat section of my local supermarket. Marinated over night in red wine, balsamic vinegar, a little brown sugar and some assorted herbs then grilled. Accompanied by asparagus (also grilled), mushrooms Berkeley and roasted potatoes. Plenty left for nice sandwiches for lunch.

DSC01772.jpg

• Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Weather here is crazy hot.  Dodge City hit 100F for the first time in recorded history a couple days ago (on that particular day).  Ronnie went fishing and caught some really nice catfish--one of them had eggs inside.  Shouldn't be happening this time of year.  Anyway, fish for dinner.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 16

@Shelby, I've never been impressed with catfish when I've eaten it at restaurants; it's always just tasted muddy, as I'd expect a bottom-feeder to taste.  Your photos make me wish I could it try it your way, fresh out of the stream.  I might like it after all. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Shelby, I've never been impressed with catfish when I've eaten it at restaurants; it's always just tasted muddy, as I'd expect a bottom-feeder to taste.  Your photos make me wish I could it try it your way, fresh out of the stream.  I might like it after all. 

I promise, no muddy taste.  Maybe they don't clean the fish like they should.  Some of the bigger fish have a deep red meat that goes down the spine....gotta get all of that off.  It's strong/icky/muddy tasting.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I promise, no muddy taste.  Maybe they don't clean the fish like they should.  Some of the bigger fish have a deep red meat that goes down the spine....gotta get all of that off.  It's strong/icky/muddy tasting.  

So, if I were to find a fishmonger that sells catfish, what should I ask for?  Small filets? What about wild-caught vs, farmed? If you give me enough guidance I'll give it a whirl during our winter travels.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown