• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Ricotta donuts served over raspberry jam with powdered sugar. 

16791367258_49ec003f71_c.jpg

Croissant with bacon egg and cheese.. The cheese is fontina.  The bacon is double smoked, the eggs are from the business end of a chicken. 

16771705567_1fded62061_c.jpg

16953127586_87b2e1e2e3_c.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 7

Savory Belgian waffle with cheddar cheese, sausage, and scallions cooked in it

attachicon.gifcheddar sausage waffle.jpg

I might be able to enjoy this BUT what is the syrup/sauce. Looks suspiciously like something sweet. I would put a smiley face here but my iPad doesn't seem to support such things. I just cannot do sweet until the sun is over the yardarm.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2015_03_31_208.JPG

On the left - sable.  On the right - Scottish salmon.

On the left and right - Russ & Daughters. This is what happens when I walk home from Whole Foods along Houston St.,  peek inside, and it's not too crowded.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Nice pics everyone!

None from me today but have been frequently making Chinese-style tomato and eggs served over rice for breakfast. I slept in so it was brunch today...

And another breakfast favorite is Papas Ranchera tacos. I always make enough so some extra tacos can be prepared for freezing and a quick impromptu meal or snack.

image.jpg

Cold (wheat) noodles. These were frozen Instant noodles that I tried for the first time today. There are three servings of noodles and three servings of sauce in each package. I have to be honest and say I could not eat more than a couple of mouthfuls. The sauce that accompanied these noodles was only just slightly less sweet tnan maple syrup. Hindsight is 20/20 vision. I should have tasted the sauce before dressing the noodles with it.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So I woke up this morning almost hungry enough to consider balut (fertilized eggs) as a potential source of protein. Thankfully I do not keep such things in my fridge or pantry. Unfortunately neither do I tend to keep such staples as bread or muffins! My fastest bread recipe would still not produce something edible in much less than four hours. Cheddar cheese muffins could be ready in not much more than 20 minutes. That was about as long as I thought I could survive without losing consciousness.

image.jpg

I also mixed up a sponge for some English muffins which I hope to make later today or tomorrow morning to forestall such emergencies.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, your cheddar cheese muffins look like a breakfast fit for the gods.

The opposite problem -- too many things handy to eat -- contributed to this carb-heavy breakfast. A hot cross bun from yesterday, as well as a caramel apple fried pie I'd brought home from my favorite dairy bar, along with a Scotch egg.

breakfast.JPG

I had some small eggs in my last dozen of farm eggs, so I saved them and boiled them with the ones I planned to devil later today. Used some country breakfast sausage. Not bad, but the sausage covering split in a couple of places and thus the egg white was rubbery. I really wish I could find quail eggs.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had some small eggs in my last dozen of farm eggs, so I saved them and boiled them with the ones I planned to devil later today. Used some country breakfast sausage. Not bad, but the sausage covering split in a couple of places and thus the egg white was rubbery. I really wish I could find quail eggs.

Kay - do you have a good sized Asian grocery near you? Both of the ones near me always have quail eggs.  I don't know if they are used a lot in Asian cooking, but it's worth a look.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

kayb,

I second Kim Shook's motion for availability of quail eggs in the Asian grocers. I see them every time I look for them at my local one. They seem a bit too small, expensive and fiddly for me, but if it makes you happy, that would be great.  I hope you find them there.  :smile:

Also, with Scotch eggs, my strategy is to undercook the eggs initially just enough to set the whites to allow easy peeling and prevent blowouts, but to let the white reheat and the yolk cook to doneness on the second cook of the raw sausage. I've had good results with this approach. This will be even more critical with tiny quail eggs.

That said, I personally, prefer the ratio of a larger egg to the meat portion and try to make the sausage layer as thin as I can. This is one case where overworking the ground meat, say by working in extra sage or red pepper or whatever will provide a more durable meat shell. It's the opposite of what you'd want to do with burgers or meatloaf.

> ^ . . ^ <

Both of the ones near me always have quail eggs.  I don't know if they are used a lot in Asian cooking,

Yes, they are. At least in this corner of Asia. Every supermatket and farmer's market has them. They are often boiled and added to soups.

They are also baked whole in a shell of salt.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Kay - do you have a good sized Asian grocery near you? Both of the ones near me always have quail eggs.  I don't know if they are used a lot in Asian cooking, but it's worth a look.

Thanks, Kim! There are several in Memphis, an hour away, and I'm there once a month or so. I'll check next time.

Thanksforthecrepes, I for some reason just like the proportion of sausage to egg I can get just right with a quail egg. I can get the sausage a little thicker, so it doesn't split, and if I make it that thick on a regular egg, seems like the whole thing's the size of a baseball! When I used to get them at the Farmers' Market they were not that expensive, but were quite difficult to peel. I learned to peel them under cold water.

liuzhou, I'd love to know more about baking the quail eggs in a shell of salt.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

liuzhou, I'd love to know more about baking the quail eggs in a shell of salt.

So would I. I don't know how they do it. They are sold in most supermarkets, rather than home made (few people have ovens). There is a mound of salt about the size of a wasp's nest. It is cracked open and inside are lots of quails eggs, still in their own shell

I shall make enquiries and try to get a picture.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_20150411_084826.jpg

Breakfast omelet lightly stuffed with a filling of chili and black beans, sharp cheddar, sour cream, spicy chili queso and green onion. Sriracha and scallion garnish...

Quick and satisfying way to get rid of leftovers.

• Like 4

Funny there are two kinds of quail eggs in my local Shoprite here in suburban NJ. 

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites